Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 110th pick, Rams select MO ALEXANDER (S, Utah State)

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 110th pick, Rams select MO ALEXANDER (S, Utah State)

As Vermeil said about Ryan Tucker "You want the guy that WON the fight" if a guy had some incident in college. As H Balzer pointed out, this was his BEST FRIEND, and he probably just hit him once or twice, just too hard in the face I guess, so MOM pressed charges.

The team took him back with open arms, as a team leader, so I think t hat says it all. He paid a price and you move on.
    RealRam and Varg6 like this.

Barry Waller

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    As Vermeil said about Ryan Tucker "You want the guy that WON the fight" if a guy had some incident in college. As H Balzer pointed out, this was his BEST FRIEND, and he probably just hit him once or twice, just too hard in the face I guess, so MOM pressed charges.

The team took him back with open arms, as a team leader, so I think t hat says it all. He paid a price and you move on.
    I'm all for moving on, and he did pay a high price for what he did, but it didn't sound like much of a fight, more like a sucker punch that caused serious injury. Hopefully, he takes advantage of a clean slate.
    RealRam likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Just watched his combine. I like his feet a lot. I like his size a lot.

I like this pick at this point.
    RealRam likes this.
    Semper Fi!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Is it me or is a lot of these picks used to shore up the special teams. I keep hearing how good they are on special teams. Granted a lot of late round picks make their living that way, but seems like Fisher and Snead are putting a lot of emphasis on it with these picks.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    Safety was obviously a need. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. If there is one position on the field that coach knows better than the rest of us combined, its safety (being a former safety). We have taken "character" risks before. I trust Coach and Snead's judgment on that issue. They have interviewed him. They make the judgment. Who knows what happened in the fight? He seemed to atone and comeback with a solid senior season. Raw, sure, but so what? Just a data point, but Kiper had him ranked ahead of Ed Reynolds, who many others on this board thought highly of.

I think this falls into the category of trusting Fisher and Snead. I don't see why people would have a problem with the pick, this is one real flaw in the evaluation process for fans. We don't have all the data. It isn't all about watching film. This is why you interview people before you hire them for jobs, you don't just make an offer based on what you see on paper (or film). No one on this board has any remote clue how this guy did in the interview process and how he explained the punch. To date, i think coach has done pretty well evaluating the so called character risks, and given the obvious need at the position and our strong belief in our ability to coach guys up, I don't see the problem. I also bet he is going to be good on special teams.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Right on, right on. And as Mikey said, profile sounds like a Greg Williams pick, ha.

Get this kid through the Williams / Fisher machine!

- -
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-11-2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: School pic

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I wonder how much of his senior year he played in that arm cast?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Walrus is offline Registered User

From a Seahawks fan perspective I have to say I think the Rams have absolutely crushed this draft. You were a healthy QB away from making noise last year and after this draft I'm thinking you'll be in the conversation for the division when the season winds down. This is a legit four team race with probably the four best defenses in football.

Alexander is a monster. One of the mid to late round kids I really hoped Seattle would draft. You guys just added some real enforcer-type toughness to the back end.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

From the 4th round onward you are trying to draft a specific set of traits that equate to success in the NFL.
    Dion Bailey ran a 4.62 40x which means he'll have almost no chance of surviving in the NFL.
    This is why Ray Ray Armstrong didn't get drafted.
    Mo Alexander ran a 4.50. Some of his workout drills were supposedly excellent.

I've repeatedly said it, drafting a SS high in the draft is a waste because of their short lifespan. A 4th rounder on a targeted SS is the sweet spot. I give zero cares about the off the field incident. Every one of us did dumb things in college and he got caught.

I don't know much about Alexander, but I will say this. If he makes it, he's a movie waiting to happen. Dude gets kicked out of school, becomes a janitor in the Dome, then gets drafted by his employer. From janitor to player. I'm telling you, that movie writes itself.

At least payroll won't have to open a new account for him.
    sosa39rams likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Isn't this just a more serious re-make of The Waterboy?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Isn't this just a more serious re-make of The Waterboy?
    That's silly. Kathy Bates could never play Alexander's mom.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's silly. Kathy Bates could never play Alexander's mom.
    She's lined up to play a slimmer version of Bernie M
    HUbison likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I just really hope he surprises us all and is terrific in coverage, because we have a gaping hole next to T.J McDonald. Sure, Joyner will play there on early downs, but I bet majority of his time is spent in the slot. Tyrann Mathieu is his go-to comparison and he spent over 70% of his season in the slot as opposed to FS.

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The more I read about this kid, the more I really like the pick. Definitely more of an in-the-box safety who takes good angles on the runner and blitzes well but he has ball skills in the secondary but not great coverage skills.

The Rams know the baggage, targeted him so they researched his history more than you normally would for a kid like that. A lot of people are saying he's going to be used strictly for depth but I don't see McDonald as being a lesser FS option. In the NFC West, you need serious run support from your secondary and Alexander can provide that. The Rams may very well platoon their safeties based upon the down and distance.

D. Farr and Tony Softli yesterday on the radio said Rodney McLeod has completely rebuilt his body. Said they saw him over the weekend and he looks like a completely different person physically.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Love the kid's mentality. Practicing so hard he hurt the other players. One speed all the time. Boy I can't wait to see these guys in action!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast