throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 160th pick, the Rams select ZAC STACY (RB, Vanderbilt)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL DRAFT: With 160th pick, the Rams select ZAC STACY (RB, Vanderbilt)

Overview

A pivotal part of James Franklin's growth of the Vanderbilt program, Stacy was one of the most consistent runners in the country throughout his career. His best accomplishments might actually be off the field, as Stacy majored in Special Education and frequently volunteers with local charities to do his part of community service. The senior did hit some rough patches as a freshman and sophomore, failing to finish those two seasons due to injuries, an ankle issue in 2009 and a head injury in 2010.

A three sport athlete in high school (baseball, basketball), Stacy immediately contributed to the Commodores as a freshman, starting four games and rushing for 478 yards and three touchdowns on 107 carries. He added another 72 receiving yards on seven receptions. Stacy missed two games that season and was limited in another two. As a sophomore, he rushed for 331 yards and three touchdowns on 66 carries, with another 32 yards on nine receptions. Stacy missed the final three games of the season. During his junior year in 2011, Stacy finally earned a full-time starting role and it paid off for the Commodores, rushing for 1,193 yards and 14 touchdowns on 201 carries. He added 106 receiving yards on 20 catches. Finally, as a senior, Stacy took 207 carries for 1,141 yards and 10 touchdowns. He added 10 catches for 205 yards.
    lostsoul likes this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 160th pick, the Rams select ZAC STACY (RB, Vanderbilt)

Overview
    Some programs are known for consistently producing NFL caliber talent at certain positions. Vanderbilt is not among them, at least not when it comes to running backs.

As crazy as it sounds considering that the Commodores compete in the ultra-talented SEC, Vanderbilt has never had a running back selected inside the initial seven rounds of an NFL Draft during the modern era. The last time any Vanderbilt runner was selected came 32 years ago when the New Orleans Saints selected Frank Mordica in the ninth round.

Stacy could snap that streak following a 1,034-yard senior season in which he averaged 5.4 yards per carry despite being banged up down the stretch. He's the only player in school history with consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, and has demonstrated legitimate playmaking ability throughout his career when healthy.

Stacy teamed with Warren Norman as true freshman to give the Commodores an exciting young backfield tandem in 2009. Stacy started four games and finished second behind Norman with 478 yards and three scores, but an ankle injury hampered his effectiveness and Norman starred.

Each struggled with injuries in 2010, with Stacy encountering both a knee sprain and a concussion and he only registered 331 rushing yards and just 32 yards on nine receptions.

His junior season was a different story as Stacy remained healthy and showcased the talent he'd flashed during previous seasons. He broke several team records, including the most yardage (1,193 yards) and rushing touchdowns (14) in a single season.

Analysis
    STRENGTHS: Compact build and runs with a good blend of toughness and power. Finishes runs and does a nice job staying on his feet as long as possible. Very good vision and feel as an inside runner with the forward lean to break tackles. Strong plant foot and does a nice job weaving through the defense. Experience on special teams as a return man. Productive resume and school's all-time leading rusher. Strong football character and team leader.

WEAKNESSES: Ordinary burst and lacks elite long-speed. Not overly elusive and doesn't have much make-you-miss ability. Runs light at times and allows his pads to rise, taking away from his power. Not a lot of flash and sizzle to his game. Averaged only 10 catches per year and wasn't a large part of the passing game. Seemed to be dinged up easily and carries some durability concerns after missing parts of several games due to injury.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

They must have liked this guy because they've given up both 6th round picks. It appears we're done for this year!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Potentially the best RB in the draft. I bet he is our #1 RB next season.
    citr92 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Might be our #1 back at the start of the season. Hope he turns into a stud.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Can't say I knew much about him before the pick, but in the brief stuff I have read, I am PSYCHED to see this guy.

Fisher & Snead will do whatever it takes to get their guy if they like him enough and value picks greatly so the fact they dealt up means they value Stacy highly.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I was thinking to myself, here comes the Rams trading up, being that we've been looking pretty competitive in this year's draft. Sure enough we were on deck with the 160th pick. I remember watching him in the All Star Shrine game, he looked well pass blocking. I can see the choice with him over Barner, Gillislee, etc. We already have those RB's on the roster. Stacy is one of those last tailbacks whom runs low and dips his shoulder into defenders. Stacy looks like a poor man's Doug Martin, and I hope we use him during goal line situations.

I said it here, remember it. ZAC STACY IS our starting RB next year. He has an amazing jump cut, low centre of gravity, hits the hole violently. Looks a little bit like Ray Rice/Doug Martin.

Check this tape and tell me your not impressed.
    Varg6 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I said it here, remember it. ZAC STACY IS our starting RB next year. He has an amazing jump cut, low centre of gravity, hits the hole violently. Looks a little bit like Ray Rice/Doug Martin.

@4:43, he can throw too. Can't wait to troll the Whiners with trickery like this again

Rambos is offline Registered User

Late round pick up, will come in and compete with Ganaway for the power back role in the committee.
    Nick and lostsoul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Weird, you didn't seem particularly impressed when that exact "tape" was shared earlier today by another poster. In fact, you responded by saying you'd prefer someone else.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I'm with Rambos on this. I think he'll take the power back role in the committee. Doesn't have the speed to break away.

citr92 is offline Registered User

was wondering where the 6th round picks went lol

didn't know anything about the guy

5'8" 218 pounds...4.55-4.6 40...scary brick house man
    looks like a STEAL in the 5th
    excited for this guy

what a great draft

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Weird, you didn't seem particularly impressed when that exact "tape" was shared earlier today by another poster. In fact, you responded by saying you'd prefer someone else.
    Didn't even see it posted, but yes I did prefer another RB to him.

THE DREAM TEAM

Various Rams writers on Twitter...

"He's an outstanding young man. He's smart. He's good out of the backfield. He's a complete back." - Jeff Fisher on Zac Stacy

"This is a guy we felt like has a chance to make some plays for us." - Jeff Fisher on Zac Stacy #RamsDraft

Snead on Stacy: One of the last guys Rams were jacked up about. Fisher sees him as inside runner who can protect.
    lostsoul likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast