Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 214th pick, Rams select GARRETT GILBERT (QB, SMU)

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 214th pick, Rams select GARRETT GILBERT (QB, SMU)

Why do people think that mock drafts that they read on the internet have any correlation to the draft boards of nfl teams? Mock drafts are prepared by people that are guessing about what teams will do with absolutely no direct knowledge of how the teams stack the players. Mock drafts are fun, but they are the cause of a lot of public misconception of value, sliding down, picking too soon etc.

Let's not kid ourselves please. Even if we had drafted a qb in round 4 like savage, there is no way in the world that guy was going to "push bradford" for a starting job. Just not happening in the real world. This was, and was always going to be, a developmental pick. Shaun Hill is a professional experienced guy. If something happens to sammy again (god forbid), the rookie would not have been the guy to step in.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    HUbison and SWFCRAM like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's right... in YOUR opinion. The professionals who work for the Rams disagree with your assessment.
    Maybe, maybe not, but I dare Sam Bradford to continue to be mediocre or get hurt this year.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

To bad there is no more NFL Europe to develop players. I'd like to see him maybe get some coaching and play some in the Arena League, learn to make quick decisions and do some read progression. There was a guy that played for the Rams once that did that. This kid kinda resembles him, except for the scrabbling, Gilbert is quicker. He's going to have to be developed in house though or risk losing him if he does develop.

In the mean time, Gerapolo <sp> is pushing Brady. :-)
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Why do people think that mock drafts that they read on the internet have any correlation to the draft boards of nfl teams? Mock drafts are prepared by people that are guessing about what teams will do with absolutely no direct knowledge of how the teams stack the players. Mock drafts are fun, but they are the cause of a lot of public misconception of value, sliding down, picking too soon etc.

Let's not kid ourselves please. Even if we had drafted a qb in round 4 like savage, there is no way in the world that guy was going to "push bradford" for a starting job. Just not happening in the real world. This was, and was always going to be, a developmental pick. Shaun Hill is a professional experienced guy. If something happens to sammy again (god forbid), the rookie would not have been the guy to step in.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    If you refer to me GC, you miss my point.

I am not concerned with wether he is pushed for his spoonfed starting job, but rather pushed to be better than mediocre which is what Sam has been mired in his entire Ram career.

I certainly don't profess to have all the answers, but one thing I know is, when you feel like you may lose your job, it is an inherent thing in all of us to perform better, if that is at all possible. Maybe, just maybe, a small threat to his job security may be just what the Dr. ordered, to push him to the level his salary says he's at.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fortuninerhater, you know i have great respect for your posts. I always like reading your stuff. I just dont see how you can view sammys performance last year as mediocre. He had 14 tds and 4 ints when he got hurt in a fluke injury. Two of the int's hit our recievers directly in the hands and bounced up in the air for tds the other way, hardly on him. His rating was over 90. We had very little in the way of an effective running game early in the year if you recall. He directed a terrific fourth quarter comeback to beat arizona opening day.

He was coming into his own and really emerging before he got hurt. I fail to see how the injury has anything to do with fear of losing his job, as that is not something he can control. If he continues to get hurt, he obviously wont be a successful long term qb, but that is not his fault.

Pushed to be better than mediocre and feeling you may lose your job are not the same thing in my view. My point was that no qb taken in the fourth round or so was going to push him to lose his job. As for being better than mediocre, i already made my point on that and we can agree to disagree as to his perfomrance.

At the end of the day, i continue to believe that sammy's issues have been a lot more about terrible offensive line play and below average receivers than anything else. If you want him to perform at an elite level, you have to put him in circumstances where he can succeed, ie with a solid running game, a functional offensive line, and receivers that can get open. That is true for both bradford and any other qb in the nfl.

Your post said that we should have taken a qb in round 4 or 5 (remember we didnt have a pick in round five after the joyner trade) and it seems as if you point was that a "good" qb in round 4 would have pushed sammy. I just dont see how a qb with no chance of starting (name the last 4th round rookie qb that was a starter on opening day or for that matter at any point during his rookie year) pushes sammy to be better or the best he can be?

Is your theory that he is lazy or not trying his hardest? I see no evidence of that.

At the end of the day, no qb can perform at an elite level of 15 plus million per year if he is flat on his ass when he drops back to pass and is in third and long all the time. If you were to extrapolate sammys numbers last year over a full season, i fail to see how that wouldnt constitute elite performance.

You have a point on his durability, but again, in my view, you could draft dan marino and that is not going to impact the odds as to whether he gets hurt or not.

If you want to make the point that we should have drafted manziel in round one to challenge for a starting job, we can agree to disagree, but at least i would understand your point. I just dont see how whether we did or didnt draft a qb in round 4 or 5 per your original post when "good guys were still available" is going to make any difference in terms of pushing bradford at this point, and next year he is in his contract year, and i have never heard of better motivation for an athlete than an upcoming contract negotiation to cause him to push himself to be the best he can be.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Fortuninerhater, you know i have great respect for your posts. I always like reading your stuff. I just dont see how you can view sammys performance last year as mediocre. He had 14 tds and 4 ints when he got hurt in a fluke injury. Two of the int's hit our recievers directly in the hands and bounced up in the air for tds the other way, hardly on him. His rating was over 90. We had very little in the way of an effective running game early in the year if you recall. He directed a terrific fourth quarter comeback to beat arizona opening day.

He was coming into his own and really emerging before he got hurt. I fail to see how the injury has anything to do with fear of losing his job, as that is not something he can control. If he continues to get hurt, he obviously wont be a successful long term qb, but that is not his fault.

Pushed to be better than mediocre and feeling you may lose your job are not the same thing in my view. My point was that no qb taken in the fourth round or so was going to push him to lose his job. As for being better than mediocre, i already made my point on that and we can agree to disagree as to his perfomrance.

At the end of the day, i continue to believe that sammy's issues have been a lot more about terrible offensive line play and below average receivers than anything else. If you want him to perform at an elite level, you have to put him in circumstances where he can succeed, ie with a solid running game, a functional offensive line, and receivers that can get open. That is true for both bradford and any other qb in the nfl.

Your post said that we should have taken a qb in round 4 or 5 (remember we didnt have a pick in round five after the joyner trade) and it seems as if you point was that a "good" qb in round 4 would have pushed sammy. I just dont see how a qb with no chance of starting (name the last 4th round rookie qb that was a starter on opening day or for that matter at any point during his rookie year) pushes sammy to be better or the best he can be?

Is your theory that he is lazy or not trying his hardest? I see no evidence of that.

At the end of the day, no qb can perform at an elite level of 15 plus million per year if he is flat on his ass when he drops back to pass and is in third and long all the time. If you were to extrapolate sammys numbers last year over a full season, i fail to see how that wouldnt constitute elite performance.

You have a point on his durability, but again, in my view, you could draft dan marino and that is not going to impact the odds as to whether he gets hurt or not.

If you want to make the point that we should have drafted manziel in round one to challenge for a starting job, we can agree to disagree, but at least i would understand your point. I just dont see how whether we did or didnt draft a qb in round 4 or 5 per your original post when "good guys were still available" is going to make any difference in terms of pushing bradford at this point, and next year he is in his contract year, and i have never heard of better motivation for an athlete than an upcoming contract negotiation to cause him to push himself to be the best he can be.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

For the record, Sam played the best football of his professional career last year, just prior to his injury. That is duly noted. And I fully expect him to pick up where he left off.

My issue is an apparent fundamental difference in philosophy for a back up QB, in our particular situation.

I believe competition is a necessary motivating factor in the development of any player, and particularly the QB.

The fact that Sam has never had anyone challenge him in that capacity is a major reason why we're still waiting for him to fully arrive 5 years later, IMO.

Today's drafting of a QB that has almost no chance of being a starting QB at any point in his career, was simply not what Sam and this team needed IMO, and is particularly disparaging to me given the fact that we were well positioned to come away with a far more impactful QB, with 12 picks going in.

What if Sam proves he is not the QB of the future, or is severely injured again, then what?

Use a 1st round pick next year and hope he's ready to play right away?

I suppose that's an option, but it seems to me that a better selection today, coupled with a year of development in our system seems much more logical to me.

That said, hopefully Sam stays healthy and plays lights out this year, so none of this makes any difference going forward.
    Last edited by RamDez; -05-11-2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: fixed quote code

Randart is online now Registered User

If Gilberts health is excellent and his knees are good to go I see real value in this pic. He has many traits I see in Sam both guys could process a bit quicker and not stare down recievers. Tape I saw on this guy Gilbert looks pretty solid so he has a shot at developement... As to Sam's freak injuries, with his injury and knee history, I never ever want to hear how well he is moving and that he thinks he could run past the LOS again. I mean not ever, he is too dang valuable to let get hit and hurt that way. Last preseason I remember him saying things like he felt good enough to take off once in a while. Man oh Man that was a really poor idea on his part and the OC if he was for that!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Saw him play when he came to College Station to play the Aggies these past two years. Not very impressed, but hopefully he can be coached up.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Saw him play when he came to College Station to play the Aggies these past two years. Not very impressed, but hopefully he can be coached up.
    Thanks for the tip RR feel the same I seen some tape of him and I think he has potential time will tell how he developes or not... Go Rams! and Good Luck to Garrett Gilbert!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

watched some hilites not afraid to run.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Wow are we allowed to have him using our playbook prior to drafting him? He's perfect!
    lol I like that one=== here's to you Shotty! or is it Shoddy?

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's right... in YOUR opinion. The professionals who work for the Rams disagree with your assessment.
    we will see-- we are still cellar dwellers after a decade+ with all these professionals who know what they are doing. The bottom line is that you, me, or the Housewives of Atlanta could draft just as well as all these NFL execs--- many of whom at the GM level never stepped on the field to boot.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    we will see-- we are still cellar dwellers after a decade+ with all these professionals who know what they are doing. The bottom line is that you, me, or the Housewives of Atlanta could draft just as well as all these NFL execs--- many of whom at the GM level never stepped on the field to boot.
    You can't possibly believe this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

The bottom line is the Rams drafted a QB late in the draft because wait..wait....wait....wait....they already have a QB.

One again Fisher was ask on ESPN about Sam B. Question: with this roster and all the talent what happens if you guys don't win more the 8 games with Bradford? Fisher won't happen... we just need to keep Sam upright and we believe have taken the steps to do that. This is what I heard Fisher say and no I'm not quoting him. It reminds me when Jimmy Johnson was ask about the Cowboys once he rebuilt the roster. What happen if you don't win. JJ Won't happen! Firmly because he knew he had the team. I believe Fisher now knows he has the team.

10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The bottom line is the Rams drafted a QB late in the draft because wait..wait....wait....wait....they already have a QB.

One again Fisher was ask on ESPN about Sam B. Question: with this roster and all the talent what happens if you guys don't win more the 8 games with Bradford? Fisher won't happen... we just need to keep Sam upright and we believe have taken the steps to do that. This is what I heard Fisher say and no I'm not quoting him. It reminds me when Jimmy Johnson was ask about the Cowboys once he rebuilt the roster. What happen if you don't win. JJ Won't happen! Firmly because he knew he had the team. I believe Fisher now knows he has the team.
    So true, we have Bradford, he's our starter. However, key issue is keeping him upright and UNINJURED. So far not a good track record there. I think being prepared for another season ending injury isn't a sign of abandoning Bradford its just learning from the past. I hope This won't happen of course and if it does, Gilbert is not what I would have hoped for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12