Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 226th pick, Rams select MITCHELL VAN DYK (T, Portland St)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 226th pick, Rams select MITCHELL VAN DYK (T, Portland St)

From what I've read, Van Dyk is (at least) 6 ft. - 8", 300 lbs. Big tackle for sure. I hope he does well and makes the team. And I too kind of like this Rams selection for OT depth.

As GC said, coach 'em him up Bodreau!

- - Mitchell Van Dyk, Portland St.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

More on Van Dyk:

Portland State offensive tackle Mitchell Van Dyk was picked in the seventh round of the National Football League draft by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Van Dyk, a 6-8, 315-pounder from Paso Robles, CA, was a four-year letterwinner for the Vikings. He spent three seasons as the starting right tackle for Portland State and led a dynamic offense that broke records for rushing and total offense.

After playing as a backup during his freshman season in 2010, Van Dyk became a starter in 2011. That season he blocked for an offense that led the Big Sky Conference in rushing and set a school record with 2,726 rushing yards.

His junior season, 2012, the Vikings averaged 438.7 yards and 34.8 points per game, allowing only seven sacks all season.

This past season, with Van Dyk as starting right tackle once again, PSU broke six offensive records, including marks for season rushing (3,330 yards), rushing average (277.7), total offense (6,486 yards), total offense average (540.5) and rushing touchdowns (36). The Vikings averaged 34.9 points per game.

Van Dyk was named first team All-Big Sky Conference and third team All-American as a senior. He was twice selected as Portland State's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman (2012 and 2013).

Van Dyk was the 226th pick of the 2014 draft. He is the first Portland State Viking drafted since Julius Thomas was selected by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round of the 2011 draft. Van Dyk joins Thomas, DeShawn Shead (Seattle), Jordan Senn (Chicago) and Adam Hayward (Washington) as former Portland State players in the NFL.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Historically there has been either too tall or to short for offensive lineman--the knock on "too tall" is being to slow and not quick enough in space. Assuming for a moment this is more true then a myth, it comes down to physical skill sets.

Maybe Van Dyk might not make for it as a Tackle , but I can see possibilities at Guard. His right flank has a T and his left the C. So its a matter of being able to hold his own with what's in front of him, and that comes down to footwork and lateral movement. Where his size can be a huge asset is as a pulling guard.

Physically, as a pulling guard his mass should swallow up a LB and "screen" from view smaller RBs. Granted even if he has athletic ability, likely he will not make first team till he has all the skills needed as a lineman--hands/feet/body leverage...etc....but as he likely would sit as a depth player should he make the team, perhaps he has a spot available on Special Teams. Simple geometry actually in covering a field goal attempt; penetrate 6 yards into the back field, reach up to swat at the ball with a little jump and that ball has to clear 10'--now lets see how easy 40+ yard field goals are.

All that aside for 6'7 6'8 or even 6'9 at 300pounds give or take 15 for a football player that seems rather light especially for a lineman--I really wonder about his speed. Assuming he is under weight and quick with reasonable speed, I really do like the idea of a FB.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Being too tall for a lineman is not always good cause in trenches leverage generally beats raw strength. You have to be able to stay low to be effective, harder when you're taller.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Being too tall for a lineman is not always good cause in trenches leverage generally beats raw strength. You have to be able to stay low to be effective, harder when you're taller.
    He's only 1 inch taller than Orlando Pace was and they're within 5 lbs of each others weight when Pace was playing. I don't see his height as a detriment if he's coached up with the right technique. Portland ST isn't the biggest program I'm sure Boudreau will be the first real OLine coach he's ever had. I Like this guy and Demetrius Rhaney to make the team as back ups. Neither has health issues in their back ground and both are from smaller schools with raw potential just waiting for coach Bou to work with them.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    He's only 1 inch taller than Orlando Pace was and they're within 5 lbs of each others weight when Pace was playing. I don't see his height as a detriment if he's coached up with the right technique. Portland ST isn't the biggest program I'm sure Boudreau will be the first real OLine coach he's ever had. I Like this guy and Demetrius Rhaney to make the team as back ups. Neither has health issues in their back ground and both are from smaller schools with raw potential just waiting for coach Bou to work with them.
    Orlando was a "freak" and why he was so special destined to the Hall of Fame. Speed, strength, agility and TALENT made Orlando a freak and more the exception to the rule. And why the Rams hope Robinson will be in his league of elite lineman. Van Dyk caught Fisher/Snead's eye and there is something there--it is a question of what is it.

If there wasn't, likely then get Van Dyk in the draft there would have been as an undrafted player--that process is still unfolding, the undrafted talent that's being invited to camp

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is great...
    Another Fred Dryer?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    True. As some have mentioned, however, perhaps with the right coaching (Boudreau) a 6-8 / 6-9 OT might learn to compensate the lack of proper center of gravity by using a strong first arms punch.

Matt Willig, below, was a Rams backup tackle at 6-8 in 2005 (for a few games anyway) that seemed to be fine at that altitude. But he was 315 lbs. [ Was also in action movies and pro wrestling. ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12