Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 241st pick, Rams select CHRISTIAN BRYANT (FS, Ohio State)

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

NFL DRAFT: With 241st pick, Rams select CHRISTIAN BRYANT (FS, Ohio State)

Discuss it here!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 241st pick, Rams select C.B. BRYANT (FS, Ohio State)

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
    Active in run support and plays bigger than his size. Good athlete with nice balance in his pedal. Reads his keys and reacts quickly. Plays the ball well in front of him. Good football smarts. Very good personal and football character.

WEAKNESSES
    Very short with a lean build, short arms and small hands. Is not a ball hawk -- only one career interception. Overmatched vs. tight ends and lacks top-end speed to get over the top. Inconsistent open-field tackler. Selective hitter. Durability has been concerning — missed time in three of four seasons with foot, shoulder and ankle injuries.

DRAFT PROJECTION
    Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE
    Did not work out in the spring while still recovering from a broken ankle suffered against Wisconsin in Week 5 and would be best suited for a role as a nickel safety or short-area, zone cornerback.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 241st pick, Rams select C.B. BRYANT (FS, Ohio State)

Christian Bryant? Know next to nothing about this guy.

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 241st pick, Rams select CHRISTIAN BRYANT (FS, Ohio State)

Come on Sosa, i dont believe it. Dont tell me that at the end of round 7 you are becoming shy with your opinions on this guys! Nick, any analysis?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Injury issues in college generally don't disappear when you get to the pro level. At this point, I think you keep your fingers crossed that he stays healthy and maybe earns a special teams role.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Christian Bryant still holding out for another senior year at Ohio State, but confident he'll make an NFL roster if medical redshirt is deniedBy Ari Wasserman, Northeast Ohio Media Group
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on January 05, 2014 at 6:45 PM, updated January 06, 2014 at 11:25 AM

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Christian Bryant roamed Ohio State’s locker room shortly after the Buckeyes lost to Clemson in the Orange Bowl on Friday night. Without the assistance of a walking boot needed, Bryant hugged teammates, slapped high-fives and offered words of encouragement.

Bryant's actions are what you’d expect from a senior leader, one that would never walk in a locker room with his Ohio State’s teammates ever again. Except for Bryant, he’s still holding out hope that he’ll get one more year at Ohio State.

That may seem like a long shot considering coach Urban Meyer said last week that Bryant’s attempt at attaining a medical redshirt had been denied. But Bryant hasn’t accepted the bad news as a final decision just yet.

“It’s not really something that I am really that down about because I am not really sure about every situation or all the things that are still going on in that process,” said Bryant, a product of Glenville. “I am not sure if that was the final verdict or not. I’ll probably figure out some more when we get back into Columbus.”

Bryant missed the majority of his senior season with a broken ankle that he sustained at the end of Ohio State’s 31-24 win over Wisconsin on Sept. 28. Bryant worked all year to try and return for the Buckeyes’ bowl, but he ultimately wasn’t ready.

But Bryant got close. He said he is wearing shoes full time now, and even has recovered enough to run every now and then. At this rate, Bryant expects he’ll be ready to play football again in the spring.

He just isn’t sure if that will be at Ohio State or in the NFL.

“We just heard what you guys heard – that it was denied,” Bryant said. “But I think there’s more to it, so there’s not much I can really speak on right now because I have no knowledge of what is really going on.”

Cleveland.com reached out to Bryant’s father, Ronnie, on Sunday evening and he said that they’re still gathering information. Ronnie has yet to speak with Meyer to get the full details for Christian’s situation.

Bryant played in five games this season, but the NCAA rules that a player cannot receive a medical redshirt if he has participated in more than 30 percent of the season. Meyer said his application was denied because of “sheer numbers.”

But there could be an appeals process, and Bryant hopes his situation is looked at again. What is his argument for a second look? He played 38 percent of this season (bowl games don’t figure into the percentage) – missing 62 percent – but he also missed 42 percent of his true freshman season in 2010 with a foot infection.

Bryant also never took a healthy redshirt year. So in theory, Bryant missed an entire season between his senior and freshman seasons, and he never took a development year. To Bryant, that’s reasonable for a second shot at his senior season.

But if that doesn’t happen, Bryant said he’s ready to embrace the future.

Bryant was confident that he will be able to catch on with an NFL team in the spring, which shouldn’t be a surprise considering Meyer recently referred to him as the best player on Ohio State’s roster on either side of the ball.

“I’ll be really excited to really do whatever,” Bryant said. “As far as the next level, I am a hard working guy. I feel like as long as I get into camp somewhere that I’ll stay in that place. I am a guy that’s going to work hard, going to scrap, going to fight and really make plays. We’ll just see what happens in the long run.”
    Tried to go back, denied redshirt
    Last edited by Nick; -05-10-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: We appreciate the information, but please copy and paste articles, as our board rules request.
    Rambos likes this.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Buckeyes Rue Loss Of Bryant To Injury

By Jeff Svoboda
    BuckeyeSports.com
    Posted Sep 29, 2013

Share on twitterShare on facebook | More Sharing ServicesMore

Ohio Stadium was in a celebratory mood after Ohio State's win Saturday night over Wisconsin, but the feeling in the locker room was more subdued and emotional after the team found out it had lost senior co-captain Christian Bryant to an ankle injury.

Any doubt about how much it hurts the Ohio State football team to lose Christian Bryant to a broken left ankle was erased as head coach Urban Meyer’s hand slammed down to the wooden lectern in the postgame interview room.
    It was minutes after the No. 4 Buckeyes ran their winning streak to 17 games with a 31-24 victory in Ohio Stadium against 23rd-ranked Wisconsin, but Meyer’s mind was clearly on losing the senior co-captain for what sounds like the rest of the season.

“We lost our captain,” Meyer said, punctuating his remarks at one point with an open-palmed slap of the lectern in frustration. “Christian Bryant has a broken ankle. Just tough news. That's the hardest part of this whole job is to see – I'm not sure everybody understands what goes into playing a football game, the training and work ethic and all that.

“My goodness. Just love that kid. I just want to ask you to keep Christian's family in your prayers, and that darn kid has done so much for our program, come so far. Incredible leadership skills. And he's going to be even more valuable outside of football. I love that guy. Doggone it. Hard part of the game, boy.”

Bryant, a third-year starter, will be missed for more than the 22 tackles and an interception he had racked up through the opening five games. His leadership among the eight game captains Ohio State named this year clearly stood out to Meyer, who finished his press conference with more thoughts on the Cleveland Glenville product.

“He's our leader,” Meyer said. “There's no doubt about he is one of our – if not the defense leader, one of them. And he's just devastated. So that's concern No. 1. Concern probably one, two and three is who is going to fill his spot, who is going to assume the leadership obligation, responsibility that he has, that he has shown. Incredible young man. Incredible. His parents should be very, very proud of that guy. I love that guy.”

The raw emotion of the moment transferred over to Ohio State’s players, including Bryant’s running mate at safety for the past three seasons, fellow senior C.J. Barnett.

“That’s huge,” Barnett said. “That’s my partner, man, and it’s kind of bittersweet. We got this win, but he went down. We’re going to have to pick it up for him, find a replacement, and his leadership is going to be missed. Our other leaders are going to have to carry some more weight.”

Bryant was injured as the Buckeyes made their last stand in the seven-point victory. Wisconsin took over down by a touchdown with 1:29 to play but quickly found itself in deep trouble with a third-and-17 as the clock ticked under a minute to play. Under pressure, quarterback Joel Stave flipped a quick pass to running back James White from his own end zone, and Bryant was injured among the players trying to make the play along the west sideline.

Now gone will be one of the most vocal Buckeyes, as Bryant has never been shy with both trash talk for opponents and encouraging words for his teammates.

“It’s real tough because he’s always a guy who’s chirping,” sophomore linebacker Joshua Perry said. “He’s in your ear. He provides a spark. He provides confidence. He’s always picking us up if we’re down. So you miss that, and his play is just so intense. He’s always hawking the ball, all that kind of stuff.”

“It hits home,” linebacker Curtis Grant added. “It hit really hard. I can’t really explain it. It has me down right now, but we have to bounce back and do it for him.”

With Bryant out, the Buckeyes now have some options. Fifth-year senior Corey Brown, who has been the team’s dime back this season and has 21 tackles, could slot into the regular rotation for the first time in his career. Sophomore Ron Tanner, who has six tackles and an interception, could also see increased time, while true freshman Vonn Bell (six tackles) might also be in the mix.

None, though, figure to provide the spark and impassioned play Bryant has become known for.

“We have great depth,” Banrett said. “I think him going down just gives another guy an opportunity to step up and make plays. We have Ron Tanner and Corey Brown back there. We don’t expect a drop-off, but it’s huge in the leadership part.”
    Seems like a highly thought of man
    Last edited by Nick; -05-10-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Again, please stop posting links.
    TheBritishRam likes this.
    Barry Waller

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

perhaps a look and see prospect player...nothing jumps out at me

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Injury issues in college generally don't disappear when you get to the pro level. At this point, I think you keep your fingers crossed that he stays healthy and maybe earns a special teams role.
    Agreed. Bryant may be at the bottom of the hill with a tough, long climb ahead.

Perhaps a look and see prospect player...
    -- Ram Dragoon

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Recent article:

Christian Bryant, safety

Where he went: Bryant was taken in the seventh round of the NFL Draft on Saturday by the St. Louis Rams with pick No. 241. He was the sixth Ohio State player taken in this draft after he was seen as being right on the edge of a late-round pick or undrafted free agent.

How it went down: Bryant broke his leg and dislocated his ankle in week five of his senior season against Wisconsin and didn't play again. He wasn't able to work out at Ohio State's Pro Day, but he did meet with some teams later in the draft process and Bryant recently said he was getting close to 100 percent. He could have been a middle-round pick with a strong and healthy finish to his senior season. The question for the draft was whether a team would take a shot with a late-round pick or wait until free agency. Despite the injury, the Rams made the move to grab a player who projects as a pro when he's fully healthy.

• What will Christian Bryant be like as a pro?

How he fits: Bryant will join former Buckeye linebacker James Laurinaitis in St. Louis. A second-round pick in 2009, Laurinaitis has grown into a defensive leader for the Rams at middle linebacker. But Bryant will start out having to make his name on special teams.

What he’ll do as a rookie: Bryant will be joined in St. Louis by a player taken eight picks after him in defensive end Michael Sam, who will be the first openly gay player in the NFL. While Sam garners a lot of attention, Bryant will be working to make sure he's healthy. If his ankle is 100 percent, he should have a very good shot to make the team and could turn into a surprise starter at some point, much like former OSU safety Kurt Coleman did in Philadelphia after being a first-round pick.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Looks like another player who doesn't mind sticking his nose in other peoples business. Impressed with the little I saw of him.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Watched him each year in college...great leadership skills, Urban Meyer raved about that over and over. Our defense took a nose dive after he went out to his injury.

Probably a limited ceiling though, I project him as a special teamer or practice squad unfortunately but he definitely can make his mark if given the opportunity.

I'm still really excited about the pick. I think there are snaps there for the taking and he can wiggle his way into the rotation.

tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User

I loved this pick. A great kid and leader. Glad to see him get a shot after his unfortunate senior year injury. Has a knack for putting his helmet on the ball. Solid tackler.