Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 249th pick, Rams select MICHAEL SAM (DE, Missouri)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater View Post
    We have just drafted a seventh rounder that we cannot cut.
    You just don't get it, do you?

He was drafted as a football player, and if he makes the team it will be as a football player.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 249th pick, Rams select MICHAEL SAM (DE, Missouri)

Unless someone misses time (in a football season this is bound to happen) I dont see him making much of an impact on the defensive end

But everyone talks about his work ethic and during the season he got plenty of pass rush; guess what guys their is always a slot open on special teams this is a guy I can see using that motor and blocking a punt or just disrupting punts and field goals

GUy has talent, work ethic, and most importantly a chance and I can see him making most of it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

It never ceases to amaze me how alleged expert commentators know so little about the rams. Experts are talking about what a great fit the rams are for Sam because he can rotate in with Long and Quinn. I didnt hear one guy mention William Hayes in any analysis all weekend.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Randart likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

First football team with a logo on it's helmet (horns), first team to play an African-American player (Kenny Washington), and now the first team to draft a gay player... Rams are just setting trends all over the place and I'm proud of them for that. What's next, a female kicker or punter? Who knows, it might happen

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You just don't get it, do you?

He was drafted as a football player, and if he makes the team it will be as a football player.
    And if he shouldn't make the team as a football player they will have to keep him anyway.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

And if he shouldn't make the team as a football player they will have to keep him anyway.
    Oh come on, they don't have to "keep him anyway". He is either worth a roster spot, or he isn't. It's about football skills, not about what he does in his personal life.
    Bar-bq likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

<<Not a bad pick. A guy who has some pass rushing skills but he is buried on the depth chart behind Quinn, Long, Hayes, Sims.. Maybe he will develop!>>

You have to understand that he will NOT be on the depth chart at DE.

He might be listed there, but he takes the job of a LB, where he will technically be playing, though he'll be in there only to rush the passer.

As one of the best ex-GMs explained on NFL Network , or ESPN, I forget, it's a roster position for a DPL, or designated pass rusher, and it would be a mistake to look at the DE depth chart and put Sam there, because that's not where he will play this year.

Plus he should be good on ST.

It's a terrific 7th rounder. Guys with less talent and resume went in rd 5.

He's a great fit for the Williams blitz happy 4-3 defense, as the 5th rusher who can drop out into zome blitz coverage way better than those others.

I'd hate to be in that Rams press room come Monday, when the national, even international media descend on Rams Park.

Might see some of those Gay hating folks from Westboro Baptist hanging around Earth City too. Sad, cause it's a great moment for Rams football

I would NOT bet against the SEC defensive player of the year. That's a pretty good league.

And he has almost NO competition for his position on the LB depth chart.

Unless someone else comes out of nowhere, he makes the team for sure.
    live4ramin and Bar-bq like this.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Hayes mostly plays tackle on pass downs, by the way, which he will still do. Sims is the only guy who just plays outside. Donald will change Hayes PT more than Sam will.
    Barry Waller

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't agree with you. At the very least he'll be a practise squad player for us.
    Randart likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong. If he struggles, and can't cut it, I don't think the Rams will have a problem letting him go. They're giving him a fair shot, and it's up to him to take advantage. Sam, or anyone else couldn't ask for anything more.

That said, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. He hasn't gotten this far by failing to rise to challenges.
    Fargo Ram Fan and ramsbruce like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Good Stuff guys, very proud of Fish as usual he is one of the best coaches there is! Gutsy call Jeff, and for all the right reasons. As many of you alluded to he is at least a developemental LB that can sit on the practice squad and help on practice and prep days for other teams pass rushers. Then if we have injuries he is called in immediately to fill the void. That is if as some said he does not fill a backup/sp teams spot right out of camp! I expect Fish and Les and the Rams exec's to cut through the crap fast and kill the media hype asap. Fish won't allow that stuff to disrupt his schedules, which I love about him.

The guy can play and should develope his other skills over time besides his pass rushing. He has potential to be a solid LB in a couple years if he keeps his work ethic up and does not get down over his life choices outside of football getting in the ways. Also you guys are all very astute in your assessments of this situation I applaude this fan site for it's support of our great organization! As Fish said he is a good football player enough said for now... LOL

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    True. But if he doesn't make the team as a football player, and if it's a close call between him and others, there will always be questions.

Congrats on a good draft, but I'm glad you guys get the media whirlwind.
    Last edited by BlueTalon; -05-11-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I like the idea of this kid rushing the kicker on STs. Scrappy Fisher/Williams type player which, of course, could be said of all the defensive picks, it seems to me. The chip On The Shoulder Gang.

thoey is offline Registered User

From Sam's side, I think it will be a good fit. This is a really young team, meaning no old, grizzled veterans that might be prejudiced. The younger generation, on average, is a little more open minded. They also have very strong leadership, from the coaching staff to the veteran's on the team (Long, Lauranitis, Bradford, etc). They aren't going allow anything to disturb the team. You come in as a team, you practice as a team, we win as a team.

Now, it all comes down to *if* he can play. If so, he'll make the team and history will be made. If not, he will still have opened a previously shut door and the team will have shown that it all comes down to if you can play the game.
    This space for rent...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Great pick, especially considering the value in the 7th

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast