Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 249th pick, Rams select MICHAEL SAM (DE, Missouri)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 249th pick, Rams select MICHAEL SAM (DE, Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    History in the making. I'm proud of the Rams.
    Yes, another first in the annals of Rams history. We have a few of those illustrious NFL moments.

I'm just faaar from being proud about this one.

I was hoping they'd at least pick Brendon Coleman at Wide Receiver, but all 6'6" of him went un-drafted. -- Tom_SF
    Me too, I think I would have preferred Brandon Coleman instead with that pick, granted this WR still has to refine his way into the NFL. At least according to his NFL.com Draft Profile, as follows...

Brandon Coleman, WR
    Rutgers. 6-6, 225 lbs.

OVERVIEW
    2013: Started all 13 games. 2012: Second-team All-Big East selection after playing in all 13 games and starting nine. 2011: Played in all 13 games and started five. 2010: Redshirted.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS (a)

Outstanding size and body length -- presents a big target. Long arms enable him to slap away and swim off the jam. Covers ground with long strides. Tracks over his shoulder. Can post up smaller defensive backs. Has playmaking ability -- averaged nearly 22 yards per catch and scored on one out of every five catches over three seasons. Has sheer size to shield as a blocker. Team captain.

[STRENGTHS (b), from CBS Sports.com/NFL Draft/Players: Looks the part of an NFL split end, possessing broad shoulders, long arms and great height. Towers over cornerbacks, showing the ability to reach over them and pluck the ball. Possesses a deceptive gait and surprising straight-line speed which helps him sneak over the top for big plays. Can stick his foot in the ground and create space for himself, especially on slants, where he can use his size to shield defenders from the ball. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder. Extends his arms to latch and control defenders as a run blocker, though too often he'll stop moving his feet on contact and fail to sustain. ]

WEAKNESSES

Not an elite athlete. Has some buildup -- does not accelerate off the jam. Lacks big-time, explosive speed to blow by cornerbacks. Route running needs refinement. Not a confident hands catcher -- lets throws into his body and drops balls he shouldn’t. Shows some stiffness through his torso and is linear after the catch -- gears down to cut and elusiveness is limited. Marginal special-teams utility.

BOTTOM LINE

Big, tall, talented, West Coast receiver whose sheer size enables him to be effective outside the numbers, on slant routes and in the red zone, though inconsistency has prevented him from reaching his potential. Has the look of a No. 2 receiver, but his production fell off as a junior (played through a knee injury). He could have used another season to polish his skills.

-Nolan Nawrocki
    I would have felt better waiting on Coleman's development rather than Sam's.

- WR Brandon Coleman
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-11-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Coleman draft profile
    cowboyhater likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Yes, another first in the annals of Rams history. We have a few of those illustrious NFL moments.

Oh come on man, I'm disappointed in you! This is the first step of many that will allow future players to be open about who they are as people but still show their worth to NFL teams as football players. That's all anyone can ask for. Who cares what he does in the privacy of his own home? If he shows that he is a hard working football player that can contribute then I want him. I'm glad the Rams had the balls to do it. No one else did. Kudos Rams! I'm proud of us drafting Sam and I'm proud of the overall draft. I hope they all pan out.
    10m39s80i81t and Randart like this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Hypothetical situation: What if Sam performs so well as a rotational tweener that he ends up becoming a candidate for rookie DPOY or even wins it. Would you be convinced to support him as a football player for the Rams?

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Hypothetical situation: What if Sam performs so well as a rotational tweener that he ends up becoming a candidate for rookie DPOY or even wins it. Would you be convinced to support him as a football player for the Rams?
    No, I would definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Oh come on man, I'm disappointed in you! This is the first step of many that will allow future players to be open about who they are as people but still show their worth to NFL teams as football players. That's all anyone can ask for. Who cares what he does in the privacy of his own home? If he shows that he is a hard working football player that can contribute then I want him. I'm glad the Rams had the balls to do it. No one else did. Kudos Rams! I'm proud of us drafting Sam and I'm proud of the overall draft. I hope they all pan out.
    Sorry about that V6. Sincerely.

For me it is a matter of principle and conviction. If this guy gets to contribute, fine. I'm just not going to support him or be a fan of his -- and I don't only mean by not buying his jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    Hey boys, get ready for Hard Knocks to come to St. Louis....
    BTW, what is 'Hard Knocks'?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

BTW, what is 'Hard Knocks'?
    It's a show prior to the start of the NFL season on HBO. We get to know the players, see them in action on TCs, etc. Basically gives casual/fans of other teams more insight on your team and each year, one team is chosen to be a part of the publicity.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Thanks Flippin', I see. I've never seen that TV show (Googled it a little just now) neither in the USA nor in Mexico.

Yes, I suppose Sosa is right about expecting Hard Knocks to knock on the Rams door.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Bernie on Fisher taking Sam:

Say what you want about Rams coach Jeff Fisher, but no one has ever described him as weak, indecisive, timid or afraid. This coach is hardcore in his football beliefs.Even when his teams have been short on victories, they’ve never lacked an identity. They’re tough. They’re aggressive. They’re edgy. Penalty flags fly whenever they’re around. And the stubborn, independent-minded Fisher has never worried about seeking anyone’s approval. He is comfortable in his own skin.

It should be no surprise, then, to see Fisher and his Rams step forward when none of the other 31 NFL teams had the guts to choose Mizzou pass rusher Michael Sam in the 2014 draft. We’ll talk about the football part of this landmark event later on. But to me, more than anything, this was about the Rams organization having the courage to do what’s right.

In Saturday’s seventh round the Rams gave Michael Sam a chance to prove he’s worthy of a job as an NFL player. The other 31 teams can say what they want about Sam’s relatively short height, and his relatively slow 40-yard times, or his mediocre performance in workouts.

Here’s the only fact – the only test – that matters: after 248 selections, no franchise had

bothered to grant an opportunity to an All-American defensive end, the co-SEC defensive Player of the Year and a pass-rush force that helped make Missouri one of the best defenses in the nation last year.

On the final day of the ’14 draft, in rounds four through seven, 10 defensive ends came off the board as Sam waited for a phone call that all college football players dream of receiving. Some of the defensive ends were pulled from small, even obscure, college programs such as Illinois State, Marist and Concordia-St. Paul.

Sam — despite his award-winning season in the best college football conference in the land — was still on the board, ignored. And we were supposed to believe this had nothing to do with Sam being the first openly gay player eligible for an NFL draft? To suggest otherwise is absurdly na´ve.

So with the 249th pick of a 256-player draft, the Rams saved the NFL from profound embarrassment by proudly choosing Michael Sam.

As Fisher told ESPN immediately after the draft: “In the world of diversity we live in now, I’m honored to be a part of this.”

As he should be. Same with Rams’ employees and fans. The Rams didn’t have to do this. They didn’t need to pull a publicity stunt to cover a poor draft; their list of selections was receiving top grades nationally, long before the seventh round. Fisher is secure in his job; he didn’t need to score PR points.

The Rams drafted Sam for several reasons. First, they covet players who can pressure the quarterback. Second, Sam obviously represented good value for a seventh-round pick. Third, they have a strong locker-room culture that will welcome Sam as a teammate.

And fourth — even though Fisher tries to downplay this — the Rams recognized that Sam shouldn’t be excluded just because his presence on the Rams’ roster would make OTHERS uncomfortable. The people who aren’t members of the Rams’ family.

Fisher’s team drafted Michael Sam because it would have been wrong not to. This move was a wonderful reaffirmation of a strong commitment to basic fairness.

Fisher is an enlightened individual with no hang-ups. It was never a problem for Fisher to go against the grain. His locker rooms have been filled with players that come from every type of background, every kind of circumstance. That goes for players that have run afoul of the law, players that have slipped in their personal lives, players that would make other coaches nervous.

The Rams employ a few players that have police records attached in their files ... but yet Fisher would somehow draw the line at using a draft choice on an openly gay player? The very thought is laughable.

Fisher, the enlightened man, also loves winning football games.

If you can play ball, he’ll give you a chance. To that end, if Fisher didn’t think Sam had the potential to win a spot, he wouldn’t have made this pick.

And understand this about Fisher: the coach has the strength of character to cut Sam. As he enters the NFL, Sam is pretty much a one-skill player — a designated pass rusher. And if Sam can’t demonstrate a consistent ability to storm around blockers and get to the quarterback, he won’t make Fisher’s squad.

I have to believe this was a factor. How many NFL coaches were nervous about the prospect of having to cut Sam and possibly facing a backlash? It takes a strong leader to draft Sam; it may take an even stronger leader to waive him.

Sam was a smart pick for the Rams. And he’s a good fit. Rams players already have reached out to let Sam know they’re happy he’s part of the team. Sam won’t have any problems at Rams Park. Not with Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, James Laurinaitis and so many others having his back.

And this concocted issue of “distractions” is just that: nonsense. I'd expect the Rams to have a firm but reasonable plan for media access to Sam. And after the initial round of stories, the national media will move on, and everyone at Rams Park will continue working.

Unless a Rams player (or Sam) says something stupid to cause a full-blown controversy, the hubbub will be minimal. But given the way Fisher runs the operation, everyone in that building will know what's expected from them.

This is a player-friendly coaching staff and organization. Players are treated with respect. All players; that was true long before Fisher decided to draft Sam. And I don't believe that Sam's teammates require a classroom lecture to realize that their boss just made a powerfully symbolic statement about inclusion. The players know where the coach stands.

This doesn't mean that any Ram (or any person) is required to approve of Sam's personal life. The drafting of Sam will lead to some pushback from outside the fences of Rams Park. But it will be a different vibe inside the building. Fisher's workplace environment is as good as it gets. And that's why this is the right team for such a potentially sensitive situation.

“We’re in an age of diversity," Fisher said. "The players understand that. They know that. I think the University of Missouri should be commended on how they handled that. It’s not a distraction. People will try to make it a distraction, but it’s not a distraction.

"I’m personally proud of him for coming out. I’m sure it was a very, very difficult thing for him to do, and I would also submit that it was probably a tremendous load off of his shoulders and he enjoyed a sense of relief because the truth was out there and he was accepted by his teammates and he was able to flourish and be part of an outstanding defense.”

And if there is a problem?

“If there’s an issue there, I will address it as it would relate to any other form of discrimination or anything that I would feel was offensive from a diversity standpoint," Fisher said. "No different.”

As a seventh-round selection on a team with a deep defensive line, Sam faces long odds to win a job.

But at least one NFL team had the fortitude to draft him. At least one NFL team was willing to give a shot to this long shot.

At least one NFL team deserves to feel proud today. Only one NFL franchise had the heart to tear down a barrier, and welcome Michael Sam into the family.

And now the rest will be up to him.
    Good article, worth a read.

I'm very happy with my Rams right now. Great draft, and Fisher is a strong enough coach and man to both draft the co-defensive player of the year in the best conference in the nation - and cut him if that is what is required. His sexual orientation is beside the point- he's shown he can play football at a high level, and he was a value pick in the seventh round for his football skills, period.

As far as the people that are more hung up about who he dates than who he is as a person, thankfully that age is coming to an end.

Good on the Rams for doing their best for making the world a better place by not caring what other people think when they make their football team a better football team.
    Last edited by Nick; -05-11-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Please copy/paste the article rather than posting the link when possible
    Rammed likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post

True. But if he doesn't make the team as a football player, and if it's a close call between him and others, there will always be questions.

Congrats on a good draft, but I'm glad you guys get the media whirlwind.
    Clearly, the Rams are not going to make personnel decisions based on what the media thinks. If they did, they would have drafted Manziel. Let the media spin away. Not our concern.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that V6. Sincerely.

For me it is a matter of principle and conviction. If this guy gets to contribute, fine. I'm just not going to support him or be a fan of his -- and I don't only mean by not buying his jersey.
    Did you support Leonard Little?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Michael Sam, Rams are a perfect fit
    Personnel, culture in St. Louis give first openly gay player chance to succeed
    Updated: May 11, 2014, 3:33 AM ET
    By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

The NFL should be thankful the St. Louis Rams ended the last bit of suspense in this year's draft by selecting defensive end Michael Sam late in the seventh round. For one, it saved commissioner Roger Goodell from the awkward task of having to answer questions about whether the league is filled with homophobia. More importantly, it gave Sam the chance to prove he does actually belong at the next level. That is the question only he can answer in the coming months, and he found the best possible place to do it.

If we're really being honest with ourselves, there were only so many teams that had the right makeup to handle the task of employing the first openly gay player in the NFL. St. Louis, in retrospect, should've been right at the top. The Rams have the perfect mix of variables that could help Sam find an instant comfort zone in the league. The first thing on that list is their location -- only 125 miles from the same Missouri campus where Sam became a first-team All-American last season.

That proximity is something Sam should cherish. It means he doesn't have to wonder if a community is going to embrace him, and his new team doesn't have to fret about how the locals will react to its seventh-round pick. The state of Missouri has already moved beyond Sam's historic announcement back in February.

But the people who want to believe the rest of this country is in the exact same place are fooling themselves. Even if it wasn't obvious, you can bet some general managers thought long and hard about what kind of distractions might come with Sam's arrival. That's just part of the business.

Rams general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher were savvy enough not to fear bringing Sam to their organization. They focused on what he could bring to their franchise. They saw the qualities that turned him into a great college player.

Fisher's presence was vital because Sam needed a coach who wasn't worried about job security and had a true feel for establishing team chemistry. In Fisher, Sam gets a coach who has enough clout to operate as he sees fit, and the Rams' locker room appears to be strong and unified -- devoid of the juvenile behavior that evolved within the Miami Dolphins last season.

What Sam basically has in the Rams is what every rookie should hope for: a team that has a clear sense of how it can fit him into its system. The people who wanted to celebrate Sam's stellar senior season at Mizzou -- for which he was named SEC co-defensive player of the year with Alabama's C.J. Mosley -- need to understand he was never an impressive enough athlete to warrant a higher selection. Sam is a player who thrives because of his heart and will, a desire to outwork the competition. Fisher has long had affection for such players, and that's probably how Sam won him over.

The best-case scenario for Sam was to find a team that could use him as a situational pass-rusher and on special teams. At 6-foot-2 and 261 pounds, he doesn't have the size to be a full-time defensive end or the athletic ability to play outside linebacker in the NFL. Sam joins a team that is flush with talented linemen (including first-round pick Aaron Donald) on a rapidly improving defense. If Sam can find a spot in a defensive end rotation that includes Chris Long and Pro Bowler Robert Quinn, he'll have ample opportunity to showcase the pass-rushing skills that resulted in 11.5 sacks last fall.

Special teams will offer even more chances for Sam to find his niche. It was difficult to find anybody at Mizzou's pro day who didn't rave about his resilient nature, which is what separates remarkable special-teamers from ordinary ones. Special teams happens to be an area in which Fisher loves to find hidden gems. Sam's ability to cover kicks or play on return units will go a long way toward deciding if his career starts off on the right foot.

The best news for Sam is that he finally has what he wants. It's impossible to know everything that was churning through his mind as the draft neared its conclusion, but fear had to be part of his thought process. It took 249 picks before Sam's name was announced at Radio City Music Hall. By that point, only a smattering of observers remained.

Before that point, according to an ESPN poll, more than 60 percent of those still watching the draft assumed Sam was going to go undrafted. With only seven picks remaining, that was the opinion from this vantage point as well. The seventh round is usually a time when teams take fliers on players that intrigue them. At that stage, teams hope to uncover a diamond in the rough.

But the Rams almost certainly put much more thought into this pick. Sam has too much talent to just write this off as a public relations move. Like every other player in this draft class, he can help the right team as long he finds the right set of circumstances.

This is why Sam should feel grateful for what transpired in the draft. He made history, and he's one step closer to realizing the dream he's sought since he donned shoulder pads for the first time. The best news for him is that this is no longer a story about what might happen if the NFL was ever faced with an openly gay player. Today, it's about what that player is going to do with his opportunity.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sam should feel welcome in St. Louis
    May, 10, 2014
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Less than two hours east down Interstate 70 from his college stomping grounds at the University of Missouri, Michael Sam will take his shot at becoming the first openly gay player in the NFL.

The St. Louis Rams used the 249th overall selection on Sam on Saturday night, giving him the opportunity to begin his NFL career in surroundings that should be about as comfortable as possible for a player transitioning to the game's highest level.

That isn't to say Sam won't have his share of challenges. Whenever you're the first to do something, there likely will be bumps along the way. Sam knows what awaits.

"I knew what I was coming into," he said. "Are there going to be idiots out there who say some stupid stuff? Yeah. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about the guy next to me, the guy in front of me. I have got to prove myself. I have got to make sure the vets know I'm a team player and I love this game and I want to show the coaches that I'm a team player and a hard-working guy. What I do on the field will determine how great Michael Sam will be."

On a macro level, St. Louis provides a smaller media market through which Sam should be able to go about his business without much distraction. St. Louis is also home to countless University of Missouri alumni, a group that has spent the past four years rooting for Sam in Columbia.

Even Rams owner Stan Kroenke holds multiple Mizzou degrees and maintains a residence in Columbia.

Further, Sam enters a locker room and a defensive line that is overflowing with diverse and eclectic personalities.

It's a group led by former Marine turned line coach Mike Waufle and includes notorious pranksters Chris Long and William Hayes, among many other characters.

"It's going to be a mess in that room now," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, a smile creeping across his face. "It's going to be fun."

Forgetting for a moment the microscope that likely will stay focused on him throughout the offseason and into training camp, Sam is walking into a group that will keep him on his toes on and off the field.

"Yeah, Michael does not know what he's getting himself into," Rams general manager Les Snead said.

The Rams defensive line has been one of the best in the league the past two years and boasts players from all different walks of life.

Long, the son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, sets the tone with his playful approach in the locker room. But he's all business otherwise.

"We have a heck of a room," Long said. "Coach Waufle works us hard. We work hard. We are a fun group and we are always going to be the liveliest group on the field, too. I think that those guys love playing tough football and working hard which when you watch tape of them, they do that. I really enjoy being part of our defensive line. We're trying to be tone-setters. We have a long way to go and certainly the addition of guys like Michael helps."

There's also Eugene Sims, a quiet unassuming type from Mount Olive, Mississippi.

Robert Quinn is the best player of the bunch, a freak of an athlete who is about as humble as emerging superstars come.

The list goes on.

What's more, Sam won't just be surrounded by players who figure to be welcoming: They will also serve as mentors, willing to help him improve.

"It's not only a great opportunity to be around a diverse group in there but I think he has a lot of guys in that room he can learn from football-wise," defensive captain James Laurinaitis said. "I think that's the most important thing. He has guys like Robert and Chris and William and Eugene. There's a lot of guys that are really good football players and obviously the competition is really deep there in that room.

"I think that's just kind of the DNA of the guys in that room right now. They always go to work. They work hard in the weight room, out on the field and they are a bunch of good guys, so I think he'll fit in great."

If, for some reason, a problem pops up, Sam also has the benefit of playing for one of the most respected coaches in the league. Fisher makes a consistent effort to keep tabs on the locker room and won't hesitate to step in if someone steps out of line.

"If there's an issue there, I will address it as it would relate to any other form of discrimination or anything that I would feel was offensive from a diversity standpoint," Fisher said. "No different."

As Sam spoke to the media Saturday night, his excitement to join the Rams was unmistakable. Through the course of the conversation, Sam adamantly tried to discuss football instead of his sexuality.

Soon enough, Sam will get his chance to put aside all talk of his life off the field to prove himself on the field. The competition at a loaded position will be tough. Making the roster is no sure thing.

But if it doesn't happen for Sam, it won't be because of anything aside from good old-fashioned competition.

"I think the reaction you see from people on our team out on Twitter and all of that just shows we have got a group of guys that all we care about is are you going to come in and help this football team win football games and get to where we want to go?" Laurinaitis said. "That answer is definitely yes."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

OK, guys, it's time for my pre-coffee, like-it-or-not post:

Michael Sam is a controversial figure, of that there is no doubt. I don't agree with his lifestyle, nor do I agree with his choice to announce to the world that lifestyle. Anyone who knows me would know this. However, let's put this in perspective.

1. Sam is a decent player. Before his announcement, he was projected to be drafted in the 5th or 6th round. Some pundits said his "coming out" would increase his draft stock; others, like me, said it would decrease his draft value if it did anything at all.
    2. We got Sam LATE - in the 7th round. Getting a 5th round value player in the 7th is a GREAT deal.
    3. Listen to anyone talking about Sam. What you will hear is people running their mouths and saying things out of fear or ignorance, or they are trying to talk about what a great thing it is to be openly gay. What you will NOT hear is how Sam got busted with DGB or anyone else with drugs, you won't hear how he got drunk and beat up a cop, or how his drug test was positive for HGH or other banned substances.
    4. None of us - not one single member of Clan Ram - will be forced to be in the same locker room as Michael Sam. He's not going to show up at your doorstep with a suitcase full of Liza Minnelli CD's, he's not going to take you to see any Broadway musicals, and he won't be smacking your rear end after a good play on the field. So WHY are some people so scared about this?

Sam could be an idiot who takes PED's and hurts the team. As far as I know, he doesn't. He could be a raging drunk who racks up the DWI's. As far as I know, he doesn't. He could go out to bars with his friends and start fights with strangers. As far as I know, he doesn't.

What I DO know is Sam is a former college player that was good enough to be drafted by the Rams, and he has a decent attitude about the game (meaning he will do his best when on the field). I also know that he has had a lot of media coverage - about as much as Aldon Smith, Pacman Jones, most of the Seahawks, Aaron Hernandez, and Kaepernick. But Sam will NOT be suspended by the NFL, nor will he face arrest just for being gay. It isn't hurting us, nor does it hurt the team.

Let's focus on his talent, ability, and potential. Who knows? He might end up being like Mike Jones, helping us win another Super Bowl by making a crucial tackle at a crucial moment.
    Rammed and BarronWade like this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User
    7th round pick guys. 7th round pick. I'll take it, wish him nothing but the best.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forum Runner

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast