Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL DRAFT: With 250th pick, Rams select DEMETRIUS RHANEY (C, Tennessee St.)

Discuss it here!!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 250th pick, Rams select DEMETRIUS RHANEY (C, Tennessee St.)

Anyone have anything on this guy? I have no problem with a developmental center, albeit a major longshot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
    Very good quickness, agility and balance. Gets into blocks quickly and keeps battling through the whistle (see fourth play of second quarter vs. Bethune when loses helmet). Runs his feet on contact. Good lower-body power. Can wall off and seal short areas. Efficient working up a level. Solid anchor in pass protection.

WEAKNESSES
    Average arm length and overall athletic ability. Could do a better job gauging his power on the move and connecting with moving targets.

DRAFT PROJECTION
    Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE
    A compactly built, light-footed pivot who elevated his draft standing after clocking sub-5.0 40 times at his pro-day workout. Has the size, power and agility to eventually compete for a starting job.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mikey is offline Registered User

Was rated by most sites as a 5th-6th round talent by most sites. Though those are usually the guys that fall to 7th rounders heh.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Q&A with Rhaney:

Scott Porter: What are your goals for the NFL?

Demetrius Rhaney: To get drafted of course but if not drafted than picked up free agent, show up to camp in shape, earn the trust of my teammates and coaches and show them I can be a leader. Also learn my play book as fast as possible and learn what my offensive line coach likes and doesn’t like.

Scott Porter: What do you feel are your greatest strengths?

Demetrius Rhaney: I would say my greatest strength is my speed and how aggressive I play. I win the one on one battle by being dominate at the line of scrimmage to open up running lanes I also climb to the second level pretty fast to get hands on those linebackers or to chop them

Scott Porter: Why should an NFL team give Demetrius Rhaney a look?

Demetrius Rhaney: Giving me a look would be a great asset to there team. They would be getting a Smart,fast aggressive and versatile lineman. A guy that can play BOTH GUARDS AND CENTER, a guy that wins the one on one battle, take leadership of the offensive line and can identify the mike backer and will do anything to contribute to the team to get the win whether it’s at guard, center, or special teams.

Scott Porter: What are you looking forward to the most about your opportunity in the NFL?

Demetrius Rhaney: Getting to my pro day march 20th and showing all those scouts what I can do. I didn’t get any bowl game invites or the combine invite but I just use it as more fuel to the fire. Also a chance to play with some guys that I once had the chance to watch on tv and tell myself one day that’s going to be me, all in all it’s a blessing to have the opportunity that I have because where I come from this never happens so I’m going to make the best of it.

Scott Porter: Who has been your biggest influence throughout you collegiate career?

Demetrius Rhaney: I would say my grandfather he’s a strong man that made sure I did what I had to do to make my mom and grandmother proud, they both passed away when I was younger so thinking about those two women and my grandfather I grind the way I do to make him proud because he deserves it he’s a big part of who I am today.

Scott Porter: What will you be doing from now until draft time to prepare for the NFL?

Demetrius Rhaney: as of now I’m working out turning my weaknesses to one of the strongest points of my game, and just getting better day by day because when March 20th gets here I have to make a name for myself and the best way to do that is perform to the best of my ability and make scouts wonder how they overlooked me.

Scott Porter: What hobbies do you have off the field?

Demetrius Rhaney: I’m a pretty laid back guy from looking at me you wouldn’t think so but if I’m not working out I rather go to the movies or beach and just chill relax my body because when I work I really work so I try my best to take care of my body and keep it well rested.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    Anyone have anything on this guy? I have no problem with a developmental center, albeit a major longshot.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Long shot alright. I've read that Rhaney will have a hard time beating Barrett Jones at center.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

This is from Bleacher Report (so be warned).

How C Demetrius Rhaney Fits with Rams
    By Steven Gerwel , Featured Columnist

The St. Louis Rams entered the draft determined to beef up the offensive line, as well as the depth behind the starters.

Center Demetrius Rhaney—St. Louis' final selection of the draft—is yet another lineman capable of improving St. Louis' protection and run game in the upcoming season.

Was Rhaney a solid pick?
    Yes No We'll see Submit Vote vote to see results

The Rams grabbed Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson in the first round at No. 2 overall. Robinson is a dominate talent and instantly turns the St. Louis line into a strength, so some presumed Robinson would be the only upgrade to the line from this class.

However, following the first round, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the Rams attempted to move back into the first round to grab Notre Dame lineman Zack Martin.

That report alerted the fans and indicated that the Rams were highly interested in pursuing additional offensive line help.

The Rams did not secure any mid-round offensive linemen, but St. Louis did select a huge small-school prospect out of Portland State—offensive tackle Mitchell Van Dyk.

Rhaney, of course, was the icing. The Rams now have a competent group of rookie linemen to bring into training camp.

Rhaney, a product of small-school Tennessee State, was a two-year starter, according to his school biography.

He stands in at 6'2" and 301 pounds—a perfect size for a center—and is very quick for a lineman his size.

Rhaney has solid strength and fast movements, but unfortunately, he has that small-school athleticism. He's not a naturally dominate athlete, so he'll have to rely on his superb work ethic and strength to get ahead.

The seventh round is a perfect place to take a flyer on a small-school unknown with underrated skills, and the Rams found a solid candidate here.

How Rhaney Fits With the Rams

Fortunately for the Rams, and Rhaney, the weak spot of the St. Louis offensive line is at center.

The Rams have two solid starters at tackle in Jake Long and Joe Barksdale, and the guard spots will be occupied by Robinson and Rodger Saffold.

However, as mentioned, the spot in need of an upgrade is center. The position is manned by veteran Scott Wells, but the 33-year-old veteran has missed 13 games in his last two seasons. He's at the end of the line.

Third-year pro Tim Barnes has some starting experience for the Rams and is a contender for the job, but Barnes can certainly be upgraded.

If Rhaney wants to make the squad, he'll have to at least outplay second-year pro Barrett Jones.

Jones can play virtually every position on the line, so he'll have other opportunities to prove his worth. But if Rhaney can prove he's a better center than Jones, the Rams will have use for him.

It's unlikely that a small-school player from the seventh round will make the roster in Year 1, at least if we're being honest.

Chances are, Rhaney's best-case-scenario has him working on the practice squad for a year or two.

Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the league. If Rhaney can work with Boudreau on the practice squad for a few years and fine-tune his game, he'll have a shot at making the roster in the future.

It's not a flashy pick for the Rams, but the Rhaney selection is a solid end to the draft.
    Semper Fi!

RealRam is offline Registered User

It's unlikely that a small-school player from the seventh round will make the roster in Year 1, at least if we're being honest.

Chances are, Rhaney's best-case-scenario has him working on the practice squad for a year or two.

Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the league. If Rhaney can work with Boudreau on the practice squad for a few years and fine-tune his game, he'll have a shot at making the roster in the future.
    Nice challenge for both Coach 'Boo' and Rhaney, to bring out the best in each other.