Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 30th pick, Rams select ALEC OGLETREE (LB, Georgia)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL DRAFT: With 30th pick, Rams select ALEC OGLETREE (LB, Georgia)

The Rams traded down from #22 to the Falcons, and received Atlanta's first rounder, third rounder, and a sixth rounder. The Rams included a conditional future seventh round pick as well.

Overview

The twin brother of teammate (and fullback) Alexander Ogletree, Alec has made a splash during his time in the starting lineup for the Bulldogs with his big hits and momentum changing turnovers. However, Ogletree is less reliable off the field, as he was suspended for the first four games of the 2012 season for a violation of team rules. He will be considered one of the best athletes at his position, and that derives from Ogletree's history at the safety position, where he played as a freshman, even making five starts in 2010. Heading into his sophomore season, Ogletree continued to grow, and the coaching staff asked him to move to inside linebacker. That was until he suffered a broken right foot in the season opener against Boise State and missed the following six games. He returned to the field against Florida and went on to earn the team's David Jacobs Award as a player who, by example, portrays courage, spirit, character and determination.

At safety as a freshman, Ogletree recorded 34 total tackles, one of which went for a loss. Despite missing almost seven full games in 2011, Ogletree recorded 52 total tackles from his inside linebacker spot, including 7.5 for loss, three of which were sacks. He added two forced fumbles and two pass breakups. During his final season in Athens, Ogletree accounted for 111 total tackles, 11.5 going for a loss with three sacks. He showed more comfort in coverage with five pass breakups, including his first interception. Ogletree also scored on a blocked field goal attempt against Alabama in the SEC championship.
    Analysis

Strengths

Has excellent speed for the position, can turn on the jets to chase plays down form behind. Beats blocks with hand quickness, plays the position like a safety with a chance to build a frame like a linebacker. That helps undercut blocks to make tackles for loss from behind. Can really hit when he wants to. Attacks blockers with authority. Best at closing on the edge, when running back looks to bounce outside or the quarterback scrambles out of the pocket. Flashes plays where he looks possessed, like nothing will stop him. Stick to running backs out of the backfield in coverage, even with a slip he has enough closing speed to be reliable in coverage. Attacks the football when tackling in the hopes of creating a fumble. Outstanding straight-line speed. Plays loose. Weaknesses

Rarely uses hands to fight with blockers despite an aggressive mentality. Overruns a lot of plays between the tackles, struggles to recover. Has a lot of issues dealing with second level blocks from the offensive line, rarely can work over top of them, there winds up walled off. Run and chase player at this point, loses gap integrity with false or wasted steps. Dives or lunges for a lot of tackles rather than running through them and wrapping up. Mentality changes when attacking an offensive lineman compared to a running back. NFL Comparison

Thomas Davis Bottom Line

It is tough to question Ogletree's athleticism at the linebacker position. Just watching him close on runs or swing passes on the edge is worth the price of admission. Despite playing the last two years at inside linebacker in the Bulldogs 3-4 defense, it would not be surprising to see Ogletree make the switch to weakside linebacker in a defense that uses a four man front. The reason being is the junior struggles to get over top of blocks but does his best work chasing and closing. Expect the Bulldog to be a three down player if he cuts down on wasted steps. Since Ogletree is expected to impress in workouts, expect him to be a top-50 selection.

ZiaRam likes this.

Re: NFL DRAFT: Rams select Alec Ogletree (LB, Georgia) with 30th overall pick

Sorry if this announcement spoiled anyone, but TV announcements are severely delayed. Twitter is already debating the selection.

Michael Silver: "The Rams just did exactly what they wanted to do in the first round. Exactly."
    Varg6, Jonze, THOLTFAN81 and 3 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Excellent choice. Not my top guy, but understand exactly why he was the choice. He was a former S I believe. He is tall, long, athletic, quick, can stack TE's and cover them all over the field. Perfect addition across Dunbar. Ogletree is a terrific coverage LB and will help in the run, Dunbar is an excellent run stopper but can now be taken off on 3rd downs while Ogletree and Laurinaitis stay out there. Finally got a quick tal guy to keep up with the big TE's of the league.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

I wasn't a huge Ogletree fan when he was in the discussion for the mid first, but at the bottom of the round, he makes more sense given his off the field issues. Top 15 talent, if Fisher can work his magic and keep him clean, he'll be a good one.
    AvengerRam, Varg6 and ZiaRam like this.

Chris Long: "I can't tell you how excited I am about this last pick. A commitment to our defense being DOMINANT"

lostsoul is offline Registered User

He is really going to help us against the mobile QBs in our division.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Sando on Ogletree:

The St. Louis Rams arguably needed starters at running back, guard and safety after drafting Tavon Austin eighth overall and trading back eight spots into the 30th overall choice.

They addressed a need at outside linebacker instead by selecting Georgia's Alec Ogletree, a player Mike Mayock had projected to the Rams at No. 22 in his mock draft Wednesday. That projection led to debate on Twitter given that some have listed Ogletree as an inside linebacker and the Rams are set in the middle with James Laurinaitis.

Ogletree, a former safety with some off-field concerns, projects as a weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 scheme.

Ogletree has been arrested for stealing another student's motorcycle helmet. He has been suspended for drug-related reasons. He has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher hasn't shied away from players with off-field concerns. The team used a second-round choice for Janoris Jenkins last year, with encouraging results so far.

Ogletree turns and undermanned linebacking corps into a potential strength, fortifying a front seven that was already stacked on the line with Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ogletree was the BPA and a need, love the pick at 30! Heck great draft so far by Les and Fisher they are the real deal!
    RealRam, mde8352gorams and ZiaRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

A lot of off the field potential issues on our team, which scares me, but Ogletree is going to be deadly. He won't come off the field at all with JLAU. Not to mention he will be crucial when it comes to stopping the mobile QB's in our division (Wilson, Kaepernick) as well as covering the athletic TE's in our division (Davis, Miller, Housler).
    RealRam and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I thought I heard a collective "oh ****!" resounding throughout the NFC West when A. Ogletree was announced. I don't think some WR in Seattle, San Fransico, Pheonix will be getting much sleep for the next few days.

My money is that Fisher didn't draft Ogletree to be a LB but as a Saftey. Either way, the Rams defense is pretty solid from Tooth-to-tail.
    lostsoul and citr92 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how you can argue with this pick at this point in the draft.

Ogletree becomes an immediate starter, and a guy who can really help with tough match-ups. Still some needs to fill tomorrow, but there are still a lot of safeties and OG/OTs left.
    Nick, Varg6, Jonze and 3 others like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Love Ogletree at 30. Great way to finish the first round.
    lostsoul and ZiaRam like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    I thought I heard a collective "oh ****!" resounding throughout the NFC West when A. Ogletree was announced. I don't think some WR in Seattle, San Fransico, Pheonix will be getting much sleep for the next few days.

My money is that Fisher didn't draft Ogletree to be a LB but as a Saftey. Either way, the Rams defense is pretty solid from Tooth-to-tail.
    yea, it seems like he could be a type of SS, since he is a former safety

eric2810 is offline Registered User

To follow up with Av, I agree at the end of the first round Olgtree is a solid choice. Many had us taking him at 16th or 22nd overall, and he just wouldn't have been "GREAT" value there; but when the Rams have their sights on their prospects, they go after them. Gotta love that about this Regime fellas. I was an Arthur Brown > Alec Ogletree guy from the start. Ogletree scares me a bit with his tendecies of playing loose and getting lost between blockers on power runs, something Brown strived in. Olgetree matched up with today's TE's on the outside is a more likely scenario and I feel like the Rams defense staff can coach this kid up to become better than Thomas Davis.
    ZiaRam likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I love the pick, and one thing i can tell you for sure, fisher and snead are certainly not big fans of shariff floyd, because they picked up the #92 and #198 to pass on a guy that many had in the top 5 to wind up with a linebacker, who even if he reaches his potential, is not likely to be worth a guy who you consider a top flight dt prospect. My point is that we didnt get the #60, and i am not criticizing the move, just saying that with a reasonable shot that langford could be gone in a year, passing on a guy who you think could be a dominant defensive tackle to pick up a late third round pick tells me that they didnt think floyd was all that great and i defer to their judgment on that. I wonder if fisher would have taken sylvester williams if denver passed on his, but something tells me that he got his guy in ogletree.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Torry Holt likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast