Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 30th pick, Rams select ALEC OGLETREE (LB, Georgia)

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: Rams select Alec Ogletree (LB, Georgia) with 30th overall pick

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I love the pick, and one thing i can tell you for sure, fisher and snead are certainly not big fans of shariff floyd, because they picked up the #92 and #198 to pass on a guy that many had in the top 5 to wind up with a linebacker, who even if he reaches his potential, is not likely to be worth a guy who you consider a top flight dt prospect. My point is that we didnt get the #60, and i am not criticizing the move, just saying that with a reasonable shot that langford could be gone in a year, passing on a guy who you think could be a dominant defensive tackle to pick up a late third round pick tells me that they didnt think floyd was all that great and i defer to their judgment on that. I wonder if fisher would have taken sylvester williams if denver passed on his, but something tells me that he got his guy in ogletree.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    3/17/2012: Signed a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus. 2013-2014: $5 million, 2015: $6 million, 2016: Free Agent

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Why are you saying Langford could be gone in a year? He wasnt bad for us last season, and you have to remember we have 2 1st rounders next year too. Not trying to argue just curious

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    To follow up with Av, I agree at the end of the first round Olgtree is a solid choice. Many had us taking him at 16th or 22nd overall, and he just wouldn't have been "GREAT" value there; but when the Rams have their sights on their prospects, they go after them. Gotta love that about this Regime fellas. I was an Arthur Brown > Alec Ogletree guy from the start. Ogletree scares me a bit with his tendecies of playing loose and getting lost between blockers on power runs, something Brown strived in. Olgetree matched up with today's TE's on the outside is a more likely scenario and I feel like the Rams defense staff can coach this kid up to become better than Thomas Davis.
    I knew we were going to take a OLB @22 or in 2nd round but who could predict our trades? lol I was all about Aruthur Brown like you to but didnt think Ogletree would be there at our pick to be honest. Impressive rsume. More concerned with his bone headed stuff off the feild than with his talent on the field.

hmmm spelling and drinking dont mix that well... wonder if I should drive? o_0
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -04-26-2013 at 01:30 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

For those keeping score, it is now:

The No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft (used by Redskins to select Robert Griffin, III), and a 2015 7th round pick, for:

Michael Brockers
    Janoris Jenkins
    Isaiah Pead
    Rokevious Watkins
    Alec Ogletree
    2013 3rd round pick
    2013 6th round pick
    2014 1st round pick
    HUbison, Rambos, Nick and 10 others like this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Why are you saying Langford could be gone in a year? He wasnt bad for us last season, and you have to remember we have 2 1st rounders next year too. Not trying to argue just curious
    because out of the 4 guys on the line who is the one guy that no one ever mentions? Langford
    lostsoul likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I made the comment about langford in part because i have read it on this board (i believe it came from Barry Waller but i am not 100% sure on that). Langford was good, not great last year. As his cap money from the bonus burns off, and we get more cap flexibility, it looks for and more to me that unless he improves quite a bit from last year, he is a candidate for cap casualty (he could always take less i realize). I am not suggesting he is terrible, but his cap impact is pretty material for what he did last year and if fisher really thought that floyd was a top 5-10 talent, i dont see how he would pass on his to pick up a late third round pick at a position as important as defensive tackle. I didnt say langford would be gone, just that he could, and more than anything else, its based on the cap number.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    lostsoul likes this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The No. 2 pick in the 2012 draft (used by Redskins to select Robert Griffin, III), and a 2015 7th round pick, for:

Michael Brockers
    Janoris Jenkins
    Isaiah Pead
    Rokevious Watkins
    Alec Ogletree
    2013 3rd round pick
    2013 6th round pick
    2014 1st round pick
    That is an amazing load already!

In my opinion we already have repeated alot of value from that trade last year with Brockers, Jenkins and Watkins and Pead my still pan out....

So therefore I am also fine with taking a risk on a guy like Ogletree this year! I like the results of the first round for us and even though I would have loved to have a pick in the second round I think there is still more gold to get or we can maybe use the two 3rd round picks this year to trade up for somebody we really want....
    Last edited by clarasDK; -04-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Love this pick, love it love it love it!!! Been high on Ogletree for a while now. And being able to trade back and gain some of those lost picks and still getting him make the trade up for Austin easier to swallow. Great job!!!
    ZiaRam likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I like this pick a lot. The Rams seemed like they were committed to playing without OLBs for years. Ogletree hopefully fixes that. He looks speedy and able to close on the ballcarrier quickly. Hopefully he helps us put the clamps on the read-option defense that the whiner and seachickens run.
    ZiaRam likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I heard one analyst say Ogletree is just a step behind Kuechly. I'll take that at #30 all day, every day.
    lostsoul, DE_Ramfan and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I heard one analyst say Ogletree is just a step behind Kuechly. I'll take that at #30 all day, every day.
    Love it. Imagine where he would have been drafted had he not had any off the field issues? Top 10? Right outside of it? Hopefully he can stay smart and clean, can be a pro bowl type player.
    Varg6 and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

espn sport science rate him pretty highly..

sorry for link, not sure how to embed..
    Last edited by Nick; -04-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Michael Brockers
    Janoris Jenkins
    Isaiah Pead
    Rokevious Watkins
    Alec Ogletree
    2013 3rd round pick
    2013 6th round pick
    2014 1st round pick
    HerschelWalkeresque.

As a matter of fact,will probably go down in NFL history as THE trade of the century.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    HerschelWalkeresque.

As a matter of fact,will probably go down in NFL history as THE trade of the century.
    If we win a Superbowl or two, I would say so. Similar to the Eric Lindros trade in the NHL. If you haven't looked that one up, you should. The Flyer basically traded an entire team for Lindros, and that team would go on to win two cups while the Flyers got none.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people view Jeff Fisher has the guy who can keep a guy like Ogletree in line, but I think it goes a lot further than that. The Rams have great veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball from Long, Laurinaitis and Finnegan. I think they will have as much to do with helping Ogletree become a true Pro as anyone else.
    Nick, Varg6, clarasDK and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast