Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 71st pick, Rams select T.J. MCDONALD (S, USC)

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 71st pick, Rams select T.J. MCDONALD (S, USC)

i would think mcdonald is playing free safety

i'm sure they're looking at just having to get his skills tweaked considering he's got an nfl body to scream across the field exploding receivers
    if he's taught to:
    -get the ball first
    -take better angles
    -wrap

heck, just those three things would make him light years better, though it is hard to get a guy who wants to hit first to change it up

a bit of what he can do:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-2puG7-mo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cFhM3A6EqU0

note* doesn't drop the ball all the time like dahl does
    Last edited by citr92; -04-27-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Although I am a USC fan, this pick concerns me. I like TJ's size and athleticism, I'm just not so sure he was the best safety we could've drafted at that point.

Beyond that, I have serious concerns about why this historic university (USC), has turned out so many busts or serious underachievers since the Pete Caroll era.

Every QB since Carson Palmer, Reggie Bush, Taylor Mays, Lendale White, Dominique Byrd, Keith Rivers, Dwayne Jarrett, Mike Williams and Darnell Bing, just to name a few.

A huge question in my mind is, "are they sacrificing these player's NFL careers for winning college games?" On the surface it would appear so to me, even though judging by last year's record you wouldn't know it.

Anyway, that's a major concern for me and TJ McDonald going forward, but hopefully he gets the proper coaching in St. Louis, and goes on to have a career similar to his father's.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Although I am a USC fan, this pick concerns me. I like TJ's size and athletisism, I'm just not so sure he was the best safety we could've drafted at that point.

Beyond that, I have serious concerns about why this historic university (USC), has turned out so many busts or serious underachievers since the Pete Caroll era.

Every QB since Carson Palmer, Reggie Bush, Taylor Mays, Lendale White, Dominique Byrd, Keith Rivers Dwayne Jarrett, and Darnell Bing, just to name a few.

A huge question in my mind is, "are they sacrificing these player's NFL careers for winning college games?" On the surface it would appear so to me, even though judging by last year's record you wouldn't know it.

Anyway, that's a major concern for me and TJ McDonald going forward, but hopefully he gets the proper coaching in St. Louis, and goes on to have a career similar to his father's.
    to be fair, carson palmer was about to settle in the nfl as one of the best QBs in the league before his knee injury, hasn't been the same since, not to mention the horrible teams he's been on

also, the more players you put into the league, the more busts you'll have, at least they got into the nfl

and i'm sure Mcdonald will have better coaching with the rams, notice how the DB coaches are no longer with SC now, there's a reason why
    Last edited by citr92; -04-27-2013 at 08:35 PM.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I see what Fisher was going for here. He realizes the potential McDonald holds. He seen the size and ability to mold him, so he took him. I think they (Cecil probably the most) wanted this pick badly, because now they mold him to whatever they want him to be. As of right now, the pick wasn't so good. But if they give him adequate coaching, he can be a great safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yes, I don't particularly love the pick because to me T.J McDonald is 100% a one dimensional player. To me, you don't get a guy like T.J McDonald unless you have an Ed Reed playing centrefield (Think Bernard Pollard). Fisher and Snead have a plan, and for all I know they could plan on bringing Mikell back tomorrow, or are going to draft another guy today, but to me the pick I believe there were plenty of better safeties still on the board.

I would have liked Phillip Thomas from Fresno St. there. I think the pick right now to me is iffy, but like I said, Fisher, Cecil, and Tim Walton get to completely mold McDonald the way they please.
    Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i would've liked phillip thomas as he's more nfl ready

but tj just needs the right coaches, fisher and co. are perfect to unlock his potential
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Although I am a USC fan, this pick concerns me. I like TJ's size and athletisism, I'm just not so sure he was the best safety we could've drafted at that point.

Every QB since Carson Palmer, Reggie Bush, Taylor Mays, Lendale White, Dominique Byrd, Keith Rivers, Dwayne Jarrett, Mike Williams and Darnell Bing, just to name a few.

I have to agree, I'd rather have a Phillip Thomas at this pick hands down. I have serious concerns with Mcdonald as well. This is the one pick of ours im going to keep a eye on and be mindful of. Especially since he grew up as a Whiner fan!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If he is playing SS and Darien Stewart is at FS, thats not terrible, and would probably be an upgrade over what the Rams had last year
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    I have to agree, I'd rather have a Phillip Thomas at this pick hands down. I have serious concerns with Mcdonald as well. This is the one pick of ours im going to keep a eye on and be mindful of. Especially since he grew up as a Whiner fan!
    more like a dad fan but yea

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    more like a dad fan but yea
    He's a whiner Fan through and through no matter how you cut it... Would love to see a pic of his dad wearing his Sons Rams jersey! lol
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -04-29-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Tampa_Ram and citr92 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

McDonald is a SS. He needs to learn to wrap up instead of going for the big hit but where he was drafted is a terrific area to draft a SS. Stewart's strength is coverage, Dahl's was being an in-the-box safety (horrific in coverage). I have no idea if McDonald will be successful in the NFL but in the 3rd round it seems like a nice pick. I hate the idea of drafting SS's any earlier than 3rd. Undersized guys making impact hits tend to have a short life span.

Maybe, just maybe the Rams found Toby Wright's replacement.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234