Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 8th pick, Rams select TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: Rams trade up to 8th overall and draft TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I'm not thrilled about this pick for one simple reason. I just don't see him like a traditional wide receiver that is constantly on the field. I see him more of a Darren Sproles. He isn't consistently on the field during a game, but when he is and he gets the ball in his hand he is amazing. And I'm just not that thrilled about giving up a 2nd round pick on a player that won't always be on the field on offense. Now I will be fair and give him a chance to prove himself. And who knows maybe I'm wrong and he'll constantly be on the field.
    I think as referred to earlier, the Rams giving up the 46th pick wasn't as steep of a price as its initial look. The way the draft played out in the first, the Rams did whatever it took to jump from #16 to 8th, presumably drafting their #1 prospect in the whole class itself. What's being overlooked in this whole scenario after the two moves? Well, Snead and Fisher still have any early 3rd (71st) and their original 3rd at 92nd overall. Perhaps with Olgetree falling at 30th, its a sign of how much the talent levels off into the 2nd day of the draft.

Austin should play almost every down if necessary. This was Les Snead's "Julio Jones, #1WR prospect" trade for the Rams. He's serviceable all across the field. Givens plays deep and Quick should improve with his intermediate route running as well. Cook lines up where Austin isn't going to play, and having an athlete like Cook in the backfield or at TE is a mismatch for any LB or S. Austin will create looks the same way Amendola did, but with a hell of a lot more speed. I think with Austin being such a high selection for us, I just don't want to see him returning kicks or punts. We can sprinkle him in on occasion, but his health will be a top priority considering the fact that the league has made KR's a non-factor with the rule changes.
    lostsoul likes this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Last year we were patient and lost our man (Blackmon)... this year we were aggressive and got our man (Austion). I will take the later over the former every time.
    RealRam, Nick, r8rh8rmike and 6 others like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I'm not thrilled about this pick for one simple reason. I just don't see him like a traditional wide receiver that is constantly on the field. I see him more of a Darren Sproles. He isn't consistently on the field during a game, but when he is and he gets the ball in his hand he is amazing. And I'm just not that thrilled about giving up a 2nd round pick on a player that won't always be on the field on offense. Now I will be fair and give him a chance to prove himself. And who knows maybe I'm wrong and he'll constantly be on the field.
    If he shows that he can sniff the endzone for 1-2 TDs per game, then I couldn't careless if he only puts 5 snaps per game.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Give me a percy harvin rookie minus the migraines, and ill be happy
    Torry Holt likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I have about 100 concerns but I am going to bite my tongue. I know a lot of people here are excited about this and I am not going to let my negative nancy views rain on anybodys parade.

I will say that I am concerned about us losing that second round pick. I know we recouped a third rounder with the second trade but I think there is a ton of value in the second round, particularly at safety which I feel is our biggest need. I just hope this gets addressed adequately because right now I am concerned about it.
    HUbison, Tampa_Ram and lostsoul like this.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

They need to figure out his number soon because I will buy his jersey immediately.

I am more than excited about this pick. It's about time the Rams went out of their way to get Sam a true weapon. I don't care what we gave up.

WR, RB, KR, PR... Austin makes big plays out of nothing. He will be fun to watch.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-26-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    RealRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Though not a fan of trading up, or a huge fan of Austin either, I will back this pick. We have a weapon the likes we really haven't had before. I wish him the best and hope he becomes a star. Fishead wanted him, so they got him. In Fishead we trust.
    RealRam, HUbison and molbio44 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I love the move. Many of us (and I've been leading the cries) have felt this team has needed to go out and obtain an electrifying player to help Bradford. And we've heard all kids of reasons- ranging from legitimate to absurd- as to why it hasn't happened. Now is the time. Austin has the potential to be this type of dynamic force our offense so desperately needs. The price was ABSOLUTELY NOT too high, especially when you consider the Rams later dealt with Atlanta to move back. Looking forward to seeing what this guy can do.
    RealRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is the BEST pick the St. Louis Rams have had in probably over 5+ years. Immediately buying an Austin jersey, and I bet you know who I'm drafting in Fantasy Football!

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Man, I would love nothing more than to be guzzling the kool-aid that's getting passed around. And hopefully, once the season starts I can belly up to that bar with you guys. I want to. I honestly do.

But right now, I'm struck by the fact that this basically boils down to 1) Austin, or 2) the 2nd WR on the Rams board AND the #46 pick. There's a lot of talent that's going to pass by between 46 and 71. I hope a slot receiver was worth it.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

What worries me about Austin:
    1. he wasn't a top 12 pick in last years draft most likely. He was rated in the 20's just 2 months ago. Did they over pay? (I'd rather over pay for Austin than get Patterson at #16)
    2. he's always wide open when he catches the ball so how will that translate to the NFL? You rarely get that type of zone buffer in the NFL. Can he catch in traffic?
    3. spread WRs scare me.

What I love:
    SPEED
    DYNAMIC play maker and we've needed that since Faulk retired
    limited bust potential (Ogletree is actually a far larger bust potential IMO)

People over value the 2nd round pick (it's natural) as opposed to getting that 1 special player. Quantity doesn't trump quality.

Here is a really freakish thing to think about. In February Ogletree going at 16 and Austin going at 22 sounded right. Sounds like they wont be holding any Mensa meetings out at Rams park anytime soon.

Just how often does the run oriented offense that is the Rams utilize the 4-WR set? They need to routinely in 2013 or Cook isn't getting onto the field. Food for thought.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -04-26-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

New York beat writer confirms Jets would have taken Austin @ 9 had he been there:

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statu...74601314713600

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Man, I would love nothing more than to be guzzling the kool-aid that's getting passed around. And hopefully, once the season starts I can belly up to that bar with you guys. I want to. I honestly do.

But right now, I'm struck by the fact that this basically boils down to 1) Austin, or 2) the 2nd WR on the Rams board AND the #46 pick. There's a lot of talent that's going to pass by between 46 and 71. I hope a slot receiver was worth it.
    You keep banging the "he's only a slot receiver" drum. I think that's a) become a much more important position of late, and b) don't the Rams need one, and c) didn't Denver and NE just pay a lot of money for slot receivers, (pretty smart organizations).

Plus he can return kicks and punts, which we've needed since Horne left.

(I'll bet you dinner he scores at the Bash).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I was against the idea of trading up 24 hours ago, and I do not wish to be a hypocrite, but here is why I am behind the move:

1. I think you have to evaluate the two trades together. The Rams gave up 2 first round picks, and got two back. They gave up a second round pick, and received a third round pick back. They swapped 3rd rounders with the Bills, and moved up 8 spots in doing so. They gave up a future 7th round pick, and obtained a 6th round pick in this year's draft. At the end of the day, the Rams have the same number of selections, but shifted around the order.

2. I think that, in a weird way, Austin's size could be a plus. The NFC West has a lot of big CBs (6'0 or taller), including Carlos Rodgers, Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. These guys are great to have if you're facing big, tall, WRs. I'm not sure they will be as effective against a guy like Austin. Short guys, whether its Dante Hall, Barry Sanders or Tavon Austin, can change direction much faster than tall guys.

3. I trust Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. That does not mean they will always be right, but it does mean that I'm not prepared to say that we (having access to game film and 40 times) know more than they (who have access to private workouts, interviews, etc.) do.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I agree. The speed and smaller size might actually be a benefit to Austin versus the taller CBs. The problem with taller CBs is that they don't have as quick change of direction patterns. Smaller receivers have that.

Imagine if Amendola had Austin's quickness for YAC. I think that's what we are looking at. 80+ receptions and 30 carries per year is very possible.

80 from Austin
    60 from Givens
    40 from Quick
    55 from Kendricks
    55 from Cook
    30 from Pettis
    30 from the RBs
    Last edited by RebelYell; -04-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast