Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: NFL DRAFT: With 8th pick, Rams select TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL DRAFT: Rams trade up to 8th overall and draft TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    You keep banging the "he's only a slot receiver" drum.
    Only because it's a humongous drum right in the middle of the room with a big sign over it saying Bang Me. (there's all sorts of jokes that could go here)
    I think that's a) become a much more important position of late, and b) don't the Rams need one, and c) didn't Denver and NE just pay a lot of money for slot receivers, (pretty smart organizations).
    a) Agreed. That's why Cook is here.
    b) Again, that's why Cook is here.
    c) Yes, they did. That's why Cook is here.
    Plus he can return kicks and punts, which we've needed since Horne left.
    He was 25th in Punt Return average last year, and 32nd in Kick Return average last year. I hope that's not the reason Fishead used to spend these picks on him.
    (I'll bet you dinner he scores at the Bash).
    I'll take that bet. Not because I want to be right, but because I am dying to have dinner with you. I've got this image of some old cool easy rider biker in my head. You better not disappoint!
    lostsoul likes this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'll take that bet. Not because I want to be right, but because I am dying to have dinner with you. I've got this image of some old cool easy rider biker in my head. You better not disappoint!
    In my ten years on this board, this is one of the best lines I have ever read! LMAO
    Varg6 and lostsoul like this.

Austin holds school records with 7,286 all-purpose yards and 288 receptions. He anticipates getting used all over the field just as in college after Rams coaches discussed roles in the backfield and return game.

"So, they definitely have a plan for me," Austin said.
    Curly Horns and Ramblin` Ram like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Austin holds school records with 7,286 all-purpose yards and 288 receptions. He anticipates getting used all over the field just as in college after Rams coaches discussed roles in the backfield and return game.

"So, they definitely have a plan for me," Austin said.
    That's exactly right. There's a reason he projects to be similar to Randall Cobb and Percy Harvin. He's not going to just line up in the slot, and either will Cook for that matter. They're both going to be put in positions to create mismatches, wherever that may be. It's unfair to label them both in such ways, when they haven't taken a single snap yet.

I'm really excited about this pick. I hadn't watched much of Austin until now, thinking we wouldn't really have a shot at taking him. He has quite the highlight reel. He's not just taking advantage of a spread offense, either. He's making people miss in ways I've never seen before. Granted, he won't have that same sort of extreme success in the pros, but that ability is something our offense desperately needs. Without looking, our YAC average has to be near the bottom of the league. We just don't have guys that can make people miss, and that's what I'm most excited about in getting Austin on board. He's going to convert those third and 6-7's that we could all but rule out before. He's going to keep the defense on the sidelines a few more minutes each game, giving them a chance in the 4th. He's going to take a couple to the house.

It should be a fun year to watch, and I'm looking forward to it.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Not going to lie before the selection I did not want Tavon Austin my reasoning is cuz I thought it would be better to give Bradford a big target and Austin's size triggered some durability concerns.

The way we got him by trading up tells me Brian Shott has a plan for him... It interesting Shotty now has this ultra talented weapon and now I am dyeing to see what Shotty can do with this guy

Its pretty obvious what this pick mean... Last year was Bradford's prove it year and he proved he is an average franchise QB with loads of potential...With acquisitions of Cook, Long, and now Austin this is Bradford's year to put himself in the top 10 of QBs

I look forward to seeing this plan for Tavon Austin and remember we have Pead who is also a sort of hybrid RB/Slot WR its going to be a new type of offense if Shotty can truely show how good of a coordinator he is

shower beers is offline Registered User

Per Rotoworld, vis Dispatch:

New Rams WR Tavon Austin believes he can stay healthy in the NFL despite his 5-foot-8, 174-pound frame.

"I haven’t missed a game in eight years, and that’s high school and in college," Austin said. "I’m going to try to come into the league and take care of my body. Get down when I need to get down, and step out of bounds when I need to." The man Austin is replacing — the 5-foot-11, 188-pound Danny Amendola — missed a combined 20 games the past two seasons. Austin can take inspiration from 5-foot-6, 190-pound Darren Sproles, who's missed just four games since 2007.

So he's at least very aware of it, and not trying to be a cowboy like Amendola often seemed to. Can't argue with that history.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Man oh man am I excited to see what this guy can do.

One thing I want to say is all the injury debate is pointless.

You're either not worried about him being oft-injured because he's never missed a game, or your worried that he will be oft-injured because of his diminutive size along with the increase in competition.

Both are solid arguments and the only way to win is to wait and see what happens.

Lets see if Austin can keep proving his haters wrong.

RealRam is offline Registered User

For the record -- and I had already stated it before the Draft selections began -- I did not want / expected the Rams to pick Austin. But I'm not a T.A. "hater" and I support our 1st 2013 selection.

My main 'anti T.A. reasons' was his 5' height . But this little target will help Bradford's accuracy!

Rawr is offline Registered User

Sooner fan here. I watched OU play WVU last year, and Tavon was so good I almost enjoyed getting scored on. It was truly the greatest performance I'd ever seen. OU was inconsistent on defense this year, but it's still the University of Oklahoma. Nobody has humiliated us the way he did. We couldn't touch him...even All-American safety Tony Jefferson looked like a high schooler against him. Bailey took a few turns torching us as well.

Here's the box score: Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Box Score - November 17, 2012 - ESPN

Here's a highlight video (usually highlight videos are whole seasons...not single games): Tavon's Night (Tavon Austin vs. Oklahoma 2012 Highlights) - YouTube

Here's a longer video of all his plays (second half is when it gets crazy...about 4:30): Tavon Austin vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube

Every possession was a highlight waiting to happen. I've heard comparisons to Percy Harvin. Harvin played OU, and he was great, but Austin took it to a whole new level.
    HUbison and lostsoul like this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
    Sooner fan here. I watched OU play WVU last year, and Tavon was so good I almost enjoyed getting scored on. It was truly the greatest performance I'd ever seen. OU was inconsistent on defense this year, but it's still the University of Oklahoma. Nobody has humiliated us the way he did. We couldn't touch him...even All-American safety Tony Jefferson looked like a high schooler against him. Bailey took a few turns torching us as well.

Here's the box score: Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Box Score - November 17, 2012 - ESPN

Here's a highlight video (usually highlight videos are whole seasons...not single games): Tavon's Night (Tavon Austin vs. Oklahoma 2012 Highlights) - YouTube

Here's a longer video of all his plays (second half is when it gets crazy...about 4:30): Tavon Austin vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube

Every possession was a highlight waiting to happen. I've heard comparisons to Percy Harvin. Harvin played OU, and he was great, but Austin took it to a whole new level.
    I noticed Bailey in there doing a lot of the blocking for him.

And our boy Sam is mentioned at 3:12

lostsoul is offline Registered User

RealRam and Nick like this.

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 8th pick, Rams select TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

Tampa_Ram likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: NFL DRAFT: With 8th pick, Rams select TAVON AUSTIN (WR, WVU)

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Oh gosh. ANYTHING but these 2 idiots.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345