Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Draft Blitz's Rams Column on Hartwell

Saint Louis Rams

Columnist - John Bronsky

2/7/05

WANTED

Entering this years free agency period, the St. Louis Rams must take a very aggressive approach to fix their run defense. In 1999 the Rams went out and signed Adam Timmerman from the Green Bay Packers. Timmerman brought a winning attitude and playoff experience to a team that had experienced neither of the two. He was the leader on a line that won the Super Bowl in his first playing year with the Rams. This was a signing that had a big impact on the organization and turned the team around .

Similar, entering the 2005 free agent period, there should be a Wanted Poster outside of Rams Park looking for a tough MLB that can play with attitude. A player that can really lay the wood. A player that will bring the intensity and respect of a defense on the rise.

That player is Ed Harwell from the Ravens.

Ed Hartwell is about to sign a major free agent contract. The NFL recognizes Hartwell as a rising star and there will be demand. Hartwell out of Western Illinois has just finished his fourth year in the NFL. Heís listed at 6 feet one inches tall and 250 pounds, but there really isnít a measure for his attitude. He has been playing behind Ray Lewis and is ready to place his mark on his own team.

This is the guy the Rams must get.

While they can add to the defense in the draft, the organization must make every effort to show how they will correct the defense. The organization must negotiate a new deal with Isaac Bruce so that they can drop down
    his present cap figure of 9.34 million dollars. Signing Orlando Pace to a long term contract will certainly free up cap space as well. Hopefully, with a new agent the team can avoid tagging Pace.

Hartwell is the key.

The organization is on the clock to fix the defense . Lets see how serious the organization is to building a champion. Will they tinker with the offense and try to fix the defense through the draft? If so , this team wonít become an elite team in the NFL. The team needs attitude on defense and it starts with signing Ed Hartwell.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL Draft Blitz's Rams Column on Hartwell

Amen John Bronsky.
    Hartwell out of Western Illinois
    It's time to come home, young man.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

woody1351 is offline Registered User

he'll have training camp at home at WIU.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think the Front Office needs to adopt a slogan from Larry The Cable Guy for the 2005 offseason: "Git-R-Done!"

I want to see Ed Hartwell in the horns. I NEED to see Ed Hartwell in the horns. Make it happen!

maineram is offline Registered User

Big question is will Pace come to terms on a long term deal, start being a team first guy, and free up some cap room to get a Hartwell. He is deffinately what the doctor ordered for the D. He would be just a start but a good place to start.

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Big question is will Pace come to terms on a long term deal, start being a team first guy, and free up some cap room to get a Hartwell.
    He ain't going to sign IMHO. I just don't see it happening. I see it being years of franchising. I'd rather they dump him if he isn't committed to the organization.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    He ain't going to sign IMHO. I just don't see it happening. I see it being years of franchising. I'd rather they dump him if he isn't committed to the organization.
    I would think this is the put-up or shut-up season for Pace. We've been blaming the Postons all along and if Pace signs, we were right. But if he doesn't, then Pace doesn't deserve to be here. He can go back to Ohio and suck with the Browns for all I care. Unless he signs and then of course he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yodude is offline Registered User

If he didn't have the intention of signing, there is no way he would have fired the Postons.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

theodus69 is offline Registered User

He'll sign ...Trust me! :redface:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

If he didn't have the intention of signing, there is no way he would have fired the Postons.
    Precisely what I was thinking.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

This guy needs to be a Ram. It is the most important piece of the puzzle.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Yes we need a go getter like london fletcher,and timmerman.Gotta do something to spark these guys.I think the 1st move is to fire Marmie.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:23 PM.