RamWraith is offline Registered User

NFL fines Lewis $7,500 for hit to foe's groin

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/29/2005

Five days after Rams defensive tackle Damione Lewis slugged New Orleans center LeCharles Bentley, the NFL landed a haymaker on Lewis' wallet.

The NFL fined Lewis $7,500, citing him for unnecessary roughness, for his shot to Bentley's groin midway through first period of Sunday's 28-17 victory at the Edward Jones Dome. Bentley spent several minutes on the turf, although he missed only a few snaps.

Lewis was ejected, leaving the Rams further short-handed on the defensive line. End Leonard Little already was absent because of the death of his brother.

"I ended up hurting my team, and I'm sorry about that," Lewis said. "I just lost my temper. I know better than that."

Lewis said he reacted to what he considered a dubious hit by Bentley. "I think the guy took a cheap shot at me, speared me in my back," Lewis said. "I lost control and punched the guy. I regret that I did it."

Little is out Sunday

Interim coach Joe Vitt said Little would return to St. Louis on Monday. Little left town Oct. 18, a day after 24-year-old Jermaine Little was shot to death in Harriman, Tenn.

Vitt said that Little had been deeply affected and that the timing of his return was "an organizational decision. We're going to work with him when he gets back."

After Sunday's home game against Jacksonville, the Rams will have a week off before playing at NFC West rival Seattle on Nov. 13.

Jags' RB is questionable

The Jaguars' top running back, Fred Taylor, was downgraded to "questionable" on Friday's injury report.

Taylor, who has a bruised ankle, sat out Jacksonville's last game, Oct. 16 at Pittsburgh.

The news from sick bay wasn't good for the Rams, either. Vitt indicated that left guard Claude Terrell, who suffered a sprained neck Sunday, probably wouldn't play. Veteran Tom Nutten would start in his spot.

Also, right guard Adam Timmerman skipped practice Friday because of lower-back pain. Timmerman, who planned to see a chiropractor, said, "Hopefully we can get it loosened up and I'll be ready to go."

Timmerman has appeared in 165 consecutive games, a streak that dates to 1995, his rookie season with the Green Bay Packers. If Timmerman can't play Sunday, Rex Tucker is expected to start. Tucker has been inactive because of a calf injury since starting the season opener Sept. 11 at San Francisco at right tackle.

Bartell looks sharp

It took longer than he figured, but rookie cornerback Ron Bartell, a second-round draft pick, finally got into a regular-season game last week. It was a strong debut, Vitt said.

"We felt that he had his best week of practice, and on Sunday, when (starter Travis Fisher) got nicked, he ran up to Kurt Schottenheimer and said, 'Put me in . . . put me in,'" Vitt said. "That was great to see." Schottenheimer, the secondary coach, deployed Bartell extensively after Fisher aggravated a groin injury late in the first quarter. According to unofficial statistics, Bartell had one tackle and broke up two passes.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: NFL fines Lewis $7,500 for hit to foe's groin

D-Lew, Stay Focused, We Need You Against The Jaguars!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: NFL fines Lewis $7,500 for hit to foe's groin

He Should Have Got A 1 Game Suspension Also, Very Cheap Shot,uncalled For.