throwback week

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth

Thread: NFL Increases Salary Cap

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

NFL Increases Salary Cap

"NFL's salary cap now projected to rise to about $130 million, up 5 percent from $123 million last year, per league sources. More $ for all."

- Adam Schefter (Twitter)

This is definitely good news for us!

We are currently paying $125,682,771 million. That means we have only 4,317,229 million remaining.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-20-2014 at 10:07 AM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Re: NFL Increases Salary Cap

If we release these expected players (Scott Wells - 4.5 million) (Harvey Dahl - 4 million) (Cortland Finnegan - 7 million) we will have just under 20.5 million in cap space. That's big. We can afford 1 nice player in FA like Alterraun Verner and another mid level contract such as Saffold or if he gets a big offer another OG like Jon Asamoah.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That definitely could change things re: Saffold.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That definitely could change things re: Saffold.
    100% true. Even with that being said, I still wouldn't overpay. He's very soft for an offensive lineman (injured every second game). He is an excellent OG though.

THE DREAM TEAM

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

With Saffold's ability to play numerous positions on the OL, I want to see us keep him. Even if we have to overpay a little.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If we release these expected players (Scott Wells - 4.5 million) (Harvey Dahl - 4 million) (Cortland Finnegan - 7 million) we will have just under 20.5 million in cap space. That's big. We can afford 1 nice player in FA like Alterraun Verner and another mid level contract such as Saffold or if he gets a big offer another OG like Jon Asamoah.
    I like Verner but if would could afford one nice player I would take Jairus Byrd. He would kill in our secondary with the pass rush we have. I also think there are better DBs in the draft we could take
    to bolster that spot then safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like Verner but if would could afford one nice player I would take Jairus Byrd. He would kill in our secondary with the pass rush we have. I also think there are better DBs in the draft we could take
    to bolster that spot then safeties.
    I would take Byrd over Verner too. Byrd is the best single high FS in the game, Earl Thomas a close second. Verner is a very good CB but has only done it one year. I'd rather take a top 2 FS in the game and put him in the back and add another CB as there are a lot more of them rather than S's in the draft.

The problem is the Bills can very easily franchise tag Byrd and trade him rather than just let him walk and sign elsewhere. Hopefully he hits the FA market and we go hard after Byrd. He'd cost around 7/8/9 million a year, whereas Verner would cost 9/10. Don't forget, Byrd is a St. Louis native!

THE DREAM TEAM

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Bad idea, moving the cap that high...it sounds wonderful, solves a lot of the Rams problems--but creates new ones. Because not only does it solve salary issues for the Rams, but it helps solve it for everyone else! I bet the Seagulls would be doing back flips if the cap moves that high. It means its easier to BUY a Super Bowl for some teams or takes the burden off others to retain their talent.

Part of the game for the NFL is gambling/hard choices/planning. Does a team spend more on X player thus having to cut Y player, or a team can say I need a __________ lets just go buy one. Moving the cap that high takes a lot out of the game. Of course its nice to make it easier to keep your team together simply because you can just pay them more.

Now do I believe their should be an increase in player's pay--yes. I'd rather see the journey man players get the increase and move the base pay up. Many have very short careers as it is--why should all the "stars" leave the game with pockets bulging and the journey man players, who made it all possible for the Star, leave the game with little. We all know a lot of players will suffer life long ailments from playing the game as it is.

That kind of hike in the salary cap makes it harder for smaller market teams--yes there is sharing with all 32 teams the revenue, but if your an "IT" WR or QB and you have a choice of playing in Buffalo or Miami, which are you likely to pick? As it is to entice that "it" player in Buffalo, likely have to spend a little more. Where did Lynch start his NFL career...wasn't in Seattle. Hate to say it but as a young man with plenty of money, you want to have fun--its just human nature.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Saffold & Byrd before the draft and I can die happy. Something like that.
    sosa39rams likes this.