Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: NFL Nation: 4 Downs -- NFC West

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFL Nation: 4 Downs -- NFC West

Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    It's going to be tough to do better than 7-9. I see us beating Seattle, Arizona, Minnesota, Oakland, and NY Giants, at home, losing to SF, Dallas and Denver. Then beating Tampa and Washington on the road but losing to Philly, KC, and San Diego, and our three division opponents.
    Trying to predict outcomes at this stage is a huge mistake.

One year ago, everyone viewed games @Houston, @Indianapolis and against New Orleans as some of the toughest games on the schedule. The Rams won those three games by a combined score of 103-37. By the same token, games against Carolina and Tennessee were viewed as likely wins, and those ended up being losses.
    MauiRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

It's going to be tough to do better than 7-9. I see us beating Seattle, Arizona, Minnesota, Oakland, and NY Giants, at home, losing to SF, Dallas and Denver. Then beating Tampa and Washington on the road but losing to Philly, KC, and San Diego, and our three division opponents.
    7-9? tough to call now but if I do recall, we finished 7-9 without Bradford. I have no idea what the final out come will be but my gut tells me it will be better then this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

if your predictions are true, it will be another subpar season. Fact is the Rams have to have at least .500 within the division and beat teams like Denver (likely leaders of their division) and not lose to teams like Dallas, who are likely to struggle themselves to be in the post season.

The clock is running for the Rams and they have to make a move from the bottom of the peeking order in the NFC West. The primary reasons are salary and financial concerns; secondary are issues disaffected players. Right now the Rams have a young team, but those on the squad have contracts that all too soon will be expiring...Robert Quinn comes to mind....Sam Bradford another. Further how many players would want to jump ship to escape a losing team? For example, how much of SJax's reasons for leaving the Rams was $$$ and the other to be part of a winning team? Don't think for a moment, the 49whinners/Squawks don't have an eye on some of the Rams players--they already have shown they are all too willing to pay serious coin for players.

Right now and for the next couple seasons, the Rams are in that flexible stage where they can turn it around and be a power within the NFL or take a turn for the worst. Its already the last offseason for making the most of the RGIII deal.

Fisher is a good enough coach to know that with most teams its 2 to 3 seasons that one gets to work with the pieces of a team before FA/retirement/injuries change force a change on the squad. And I doubt Fisher, himself, is thinking this is part of his re-building program but is the team he hopes to win with. My concern is has he really built the Rams to that point yet.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

It's tough to forecast wins and losses when there's no schedule to consider. I would disagree with you that we're not losing to Dallas. Their defense stinks and got worse by losing DeMarcus Ware. But there's a draft to get through and a schedule with bye week and Thursday & Monday night games to consider before we can predict our wins and losses.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    if your predictions are true, it will be another subpar season. Fact is the Rams have to have at least .500 within the division and beat teams like Denver (likely leaders of their division) and not lose to teams like Dallas, who are likely to struggle themselves to be in the post season.

The clock is running for the Rams and they have to make a move from the bottom of the peeking order in the NFC West. The primary reasons are salary and financial concerns; secondary are issues disaffected players. Right now the Rams have a young team, but those on the squad have contracts that all too soon will be expiring...Robert Quinn comes to mind....Sam Bradford another. Further how many players would want to jump ship to escape a losing team? For example, how much of SJax's reasons for leaving the Rams was $$$ and the other to be part of a winning team? Don't think for a moment, the 49whinners/Squawks don't have an eye on some of the Rams players--they already have shown they are all too willing to pay serious coin for players.

Right now and for the next couple seasons, the Rams are in that flexible stage where they can turn it around and be a power within the NFL or take a turn for the worst. Its already the last offseason for making the most of the RGIII deal.

Fisher is a good enough coach to know that with most teams its 2 to 3 seasons that one gets to work with the pieces of a team before FA/retirement/injuries change force a change on the squad. And I doubt Fisher, himself, is thinking this is part of his re-building program but is the team he hopes to win with. My concern is has he really built the Rams to that point yet.
    Aren't most of these concerns true for all teams; win your division, manage the cap, retain good players, etc?
    If the whiners were spending wildly, wouldn't they have outbid WASH for D-Jax ?
    Can't agree at all about the RGIII deal. Until the players involved have been around (or not) for 3 years....
    I agree SJ leaving had little to do with money, more about a chance at a playoff run AND to still be a #1 back.

The hags and whiners have been drafting well AND staying healthy the last few years and were never as depleted of talent and salary-cap mismanaged as The Rams were, in any case. Have fisher and Snead made mistakes, yes, but the general trend has been positive,imo. I really hope you're wrong about the clock running on their regime. The answer to finding stability and sustained competitiveness,imo, is not a wild Snyder-esque push for instant success or an owner who goes all Trump on his coaches every 3 years.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Trying to predict outcomes at this stage is a huge mistake.

One year ago, everyone viewed games @Houston, @Indianapolis and against New Orleans as some of the toughest games on the schedule. The Rams won those three games by a combined score of 103-37. By the same token, games against Carolina and Tennessee were viewed as likely wins, and those ended up being losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    It's tough to forecast wins and losses when there's no schedule to consider. I would disagree with you that we're not losing to Dallas. Their defense stinks and got worse by losing DeMarcus Ware. But there's a draft to get through and a schedule with bye week and Thursday & Monday night games to consider before we can predict our wins and losses.
    These two posts illustrate well some of the reasons it is so tough to predict wins and losses in the NFL. If it were easy, we'd all be rich. On any given Sunday, (now Mondays & Thursdays as well), anything can happen. A couple of key injuries or suspensions here and there can really derail a good team.

We can and do surmise as to whether or not we will be more competitive from one year to the next after the draft and FA. Even so, speculation is just speculation. Like every other member here, I am hoping that the players we come away with come May, will help us crank it up a couple of notches or more. I like our chances this year. I see the cup as half full - heck maybe even ĺ ..

The only prediction/speculation I'll make is this: Sam will be improved considerably. If the Rams can figure out a way to protect him when he does have to throw, I really believe he'll light up some defenses this year. Being forced to watch from the sidelines the better part of last season, will have Bradford chomping at the bit to get back on the field and lead his team. Sam is smart, competitive and extremely tough to boot. He has the desire coupled with the physical attributes/tools required to succeed and should do this year.

The X factor unfortunately, is that the other teams in our division are hoping to get better as well. It is going to be a very interesting draft for us Ram fans ..

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Do you somehow think the topic of how soon we would be able to contend wasnít addressed in the initial meetings between Stan and Fish? If so, can you see Jeff Fisher trying to blow smoke up Stanís behind regarding how quickly he would turn the team around? My take is that the conversation went in the opposite direction entirely.

Two things:

It is no secret that Silent Stan greatly admired the template inaugurated by Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick. Bob gave the last say to one football man: Billy B. No drama, no backstabbing, just build the team piece by piece. A team constructed for the long haul.

I believe Jeff Fisher and Stan are dreaming the same dream and very much on the same page. As Iíve stated before, Jeff Fisher IMHO, chose the Rams because of Stan Kroenke period. Sammy B. may have been icing on the cake, but Jeff having been through the many trials and tribulations of a meddling owner, knew Stan would be the best fit. Stating that he chose the Rams largely because of Bradford was the politically correct answer. Think about it - what was he going to say? Stephen Ross is a control freak? A rich jerk?
    Tom Brady.

He's the reason why the Patriot Way works and can never be duplicated elsewhere.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    Tom Brady.

He's the reason why the Patriot Way works and can never be duplicated elsewhere.
    I beg to differ sir. Tom Brady is without doubt an integral part of the team, but my comment was directed toward the advantage of having one savvy football man with the last say in personnel decisions who is also the same guy who will be coaching the results of those decisions/choices. A clear untrammeled chain of command without all the nonsense that can occur in absence of such.

Personally I don't have much "aloha" for Billy B., but I would say the success of the Patsies stems mostly from the vision and subsequent decision making of Kraft and Belichick. Someone had to draft Brady - call it luck if you will - just as the Rams got lucky with Kurt Warner. The difference is the Patsies were able to sustain their success in large part because of the strong foundation Kraft/Belichick built together. Conversely the Rams coaches and front office rapidly bickered and backstabbed their way into obscurity within a relatively short period.

There have been various head coaches with GM powers over the last decade or two, and most of them have failed. Obviously it is imperative that the owner be savvy as well. The buck in the end stops with the owner. (Something Jerry Jones has yet to acknowledge). Kraft wanted Belichick badly, reeled him in and then stayed the heck out of the way. Silent Stan appears to be following this blueprint.

The next two years should reveal whether or not the Fish/Snead combo was a good choice. It used to be that many players steered well clear of the Rams precisely because of the previous FO being perceived as a rudderless ship crewed by tightwads and bumblers. Even when the Rams were able to match offers from other teams during past FA derbies, they were often spurned simply because the Rams were viewed as "losers." That has changed significantly.

Bottom line: The Rams must start winning on a consistent basis. Then and only then will Kroenke/Fish/Snead be exonerated. My personal opinion is that 2015 will be the year. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and the Rams will make a quantum leap this year.
    Randart likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12