r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Offers Delayed Broadcasts Of Blacked-Out Games

NFL offers delayed broadcasts of blacked-out games
    55 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—NFL fans whose local teams’ games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free—though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during “Monday Night Football.”

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

“We understand that the economy is limiting some families and corporations from buying as many game tickets as they had previously,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a release.

The Bengals and Cardinals each received 24-hour extensions Thursday as the teams tried to sell out their openers and avoid blackouts. Cincinnati plays the Denver Broncos and Arizona faces the San Francisco *****.

The defending NFC champion Cardinals said they had about 1,700 tickets remaining. They have sold out all 34 games played at University of Phoenix Stadium, which opened in 2006. But last January the team needed two extensions from the league to sell out its first home playoff game in Arizona.

The Bengals are coming off a 4-11-1 season that left many fans disgruntled about the direction of the franchise, which has one winning season in the last 18 years. The last time Cincinnati failed to sell out a game was November 2003.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: NFL Offers Delayed Broadcasts Of Blacked-Out Games

Yay! I might not have to watch the Bungles game this weekend!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Anyone know if this is available to anyone or just local markets?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Anyone know if this is available to anyone or just local markets?
    Since it's on NFL.com, I'd assume that it's both available to everyone and free. Just don't quote me on that!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Since it's on NFL.com, I'd assume that it's both available to everyone and free. Just don't quote me on that!
    Well here's to hoping every Rams game gets blacked out!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

About damn time for at least lifting some of those ridiculous blackout restrictions. Hopefully this is step 1 to completely removing them. It only hurts already unpopular teams that can't sell out their games by depriving them of potential fans they could get from being on TV - as well as the income they must get from TV stations for broadcasting their games and advertising money from being on TV. And it hurts fans that either prefer to stay home or just cannot afford to go watch the game. I really doubt it results in more fans at the stadium either - either you want to go or you don't. They should try to make their product (i.e watching the game live in the stadium) more attractive instead of removing the alternative.

It has always amazed me how weird your sports are in America - you generally have a very free-market system - except for sports where it's exactly the opposite with a completely planned economy with strong players' unions, salary caps, drafts, blackouts and so on. Imagine if the general economy worked like that. Very strange, but I suppose that's the best way (or they believe it is) for the clubs to extract maximum money from fans or it wouldn't be like that.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Haven't seen any restrictions, so I'm assuming all the blacked-out games will be available on NFL.com after midnight.

FYI, from what I've heard, justin tv will stream every game throughout the year, LIVE. I watched a few games with it during the preseason and the video quality was okay, the audio was good. I won't be getting rid of Sunday Ticket, but for those who don't have it, justin tv has got to be better than nothing.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd also like to recommend NFL.com's Game Rewind. I'm not sure what the price is now, but I got a very affordable preseason deal for the season at $40.

They post every game online, commercial-free, on Tuesdays (I think). You can't watch it live, but it's better than nothing. You can also go back and watch any game throughout the season.

This is the first season I'll get to watch every single Rams game! Can't wait.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    About damn time for at least lifting some of those ridiculous blackout restrictions. Hopefully this is step 1 to completely removing them. It only hurts already unpopular teams that can't sell out their games by depriving them of potential fans they could get from being on TV - as well as the income they must get from TV stations for broadcasting their games and advertising money from being on TV. And it hurts fans that either prefer to stay home or just cannot afford to go watch the game. I really doubt it results in more fans at the stadium either - either you want to go or you don't. They should try to make their product (i.e watching the game live in the stadium) more attractive instead of removing the alternative.

It has always amazed me how weird your sports are in America - you generally have a very free-market system - except for sports where it's exactly the opposite with a completely planned economy with strong players' unions, salary caps, drafts, blackouts and so on. Imagine if the general economy worked like that. Very strange, but I suppose that's the best way (or they believe it is) for the clubs to extract maximum money from fans or it wouldn't be like that.

I couldn't agree more. The blackout rule is total crap. I have season tickets, so I'll see the games anyway. However, especially since the Rams have hit a rough patch, I think forcing people to buy tickets just to watch home games is such a backwards idea. I would think the best way to increase your fan base would be to make all the games available live. It's a sorry attempt to throw fans a bone. Hey, your game is blacked out live, but you can watch it.....after midnight.....and online....but not during Monday Night Football. This is insulting. I'm not afraid of technology, but I like to watch games on a tv, while sitting on a couch or comfy chair, not with a mouse and keyboard.
    Last edited by Tony Banks; -09-10-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: I thought of another point or two.
    :1:

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Roger Goodell is a crook and the NFL is greedy.

The economy is in the tank. Were in the worst recession in 20+ years and this is the way they treat the fans? Talk about screwing people over.

The blackout rule is in place because they think it will help sell tickets, but if you don't have the money to go, then you don't have the money. Plain and simple. You shouldn't be punished because you got laid off and/or have a family to support.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Roger Goodell is a crook
    No he isn't .. He's a shrewd lawyer who is trying to maximize profits for his bosses - the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    and the NFL is greedy.
    The NFL is a business after all, and the goal of businesses is to make a profit, the bigger the better. Depends on your definition of greed I guess .. Goodell's job probably isn't all that easy right now given the current state of the economy. Trying to maintain profitability for NFL owners while not killing the goose (we the fans) likely isn't an easy job right now - paritcularly when you factor into the equation that the owners can't agree among themselves over revenue sharing ..

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

I think the issue has more to do with the way revenue is shared throughout the NFL. In order to have a salary cap, which keeps the teams in smaller markets alive and competitive, revenue must be shared between teams. If NFL fans in the hard-hit city of Detroit buy enough tickets to sell out their stadium, and fans in Phoenix do not, then the people of Detroit are actually subsidizing football for them. Would it really be fair to ask the people of Detroit to finance the broadcast of Tards games for people in Phoenix?

Unpopular teams have many opportunities to become popular; most of them are simply ways for bad teams to start winning. If a team is in a market that cannot support it, there are many other US markets and football fans that can.