Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL AND RAM stuff

NFL NOTEBOOK
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/26/2006

INDIANAPOLIS

University of Texas quarterback Vince Young may have hurt his draft status with a low test score Friday at the NFL scouting combine. According to league sources, Young scored a six on his Wonderlic test, an intelligence test given to NFL draft prospects.

That score may be low enough to cause concern among teams about Young's ability to run complex NFL offenses. When informed of Young's test score, one NFL offensive coordinator said he no longer would consider drafting him.

"He could drop down to No. 10 or No. 15 in the draft," said a veteran NFL scout. "So those teams better be ready (in terms of evaluation)."

Young's value skyrocketed with his stellar performance against Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl, to the point where there was speculation that he might go to Houston with the No. 1 overall selection. But after an option was exercised in David Carr's contract, keeping him with the Texans for three more seasons, it appears Houston will take Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush.

Low Wonderlic score or not, many in the NFL believe Young has the chance to dominate football the way Michael Jordan once did in the NBA. Young's ability to make big plays and perform under pressure helps set him apart.

"Sometimes coaches try to make the game too complicated," said the scout. "How do you coach red-zone instincts?"

One NFL general manager pointed out that Steve McNair had a similarly low Wonderlic score coming out of college and went on to become a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl quarterback for Tennessee.

Count Rams coach Scott Linehan among those who believe Young can be a difference-maker in the NFL.

"If you're getting ready to play Vince Young, you know you've got a two-headed monster," Linehan said. "He's proven to me that he can throw it, as well as be able to run around and make plays. He's one of the most exciting players to come out in recent memory. He hasn't really even tapped into some of the things I think he's going to be able to do at the next level."

Surgeries for McCollum

Center Andy McCollum is having an Adam Timmerman-like offseason, and that's not a good thing. Last offseason, Timmerman underwent surgery on both shoulders and a foot.

This offseason, McCollum already has undergone surgery on both shoulders, according to Rams medical officials. The procedure, to repair an arthritic condition in the collarbone, is very similar to what Timmerman had last offseason. McCollum also is scheduled for arthroscopic knee surgery later this offseason.

Linebacker Brandon Chillar has undergone surgery to repair a rotator cuff problem in his shoulder area.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Young's low test score could affect draft

Jeepers if he falls to #11 ... I bet it would be hard for LInehan to not pass up on him.
    RamsFan16

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

A SIX! WOW! Here, try this sample test out and see how many right you get. It's a sample test of the wonderlic test. Remember though, the real test is timed and I understand how people often do poorly under pressure (I'm the worst when it comes to that lol). Anyways here's the link...

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Haha. Thats easy! I can't believe he did that bad. Think of how retarted he feels.
    RamsFan16

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Is a 6 as low as Reinard Wilson (Bengals)?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think Wilson holds the NFL record at 5. My understanding is that 8-10 is considered basic literacy and around 20 is considered average intelligence.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

if he cant handle the pressure of that test how is he going to handle the pressure of an nfl defense coming after him.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL AND RAM stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    if he cant handle the pressure of that test how is he going to handle the pressure of an nfl defense coming after him.
    That's a very legitimate question, but in all fairness to Young, he gave a good indication of his ability to handle pressure late in the fourth quarter of the Rose Bowl. He was rock solid in his decision making and execution when he absolutely had to be. No where near the same intensity as the NFL, but an indicator.

I must admit though that his wonderlic score is cause for concern. A 6 just seems rediculously low, especially for a quarterback. My question is, how did he run the Texas offense as efficiently as he did, IF his IQ is anywhere near what the wonderlic indicates. It just does not make sense. There has to be more to the story.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -02-26-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In Texas he played out of the shotgun and spread that gave him time to see where the guys where coming from and run away from them if I'm not mistaken. The most disconcerting thing about this is that the test largely measures things like pattern recognition. In terms of what he can do on the field, I'd be less concerned if he was one of the guys who has to get out a map to see what part of the country his new team is in, but being able to recognize slight alterations in the way the defense lines up is crucial to reading where the blitz might be coming from or whether the corners are playing zone or man.

I'll bet university presidents shudder when their alumni do this. Doesn't really help your claim to be producing "student athletes" when people are asking themselves whether your star quarterback was even literate.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I'll bet university presidents shudder when their alumni do this. Doesn't really help your claim to be producing "student athletes" when people are asking themselves whether your star quarterback was even literate.
    No doubt. A 6 is hard to rationalize.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Of greater concern to me right now are the surgeries OL McCollum and Timmerman are having at this stage of their excellent careers.

I trust their surgery goes well -- very common procedures for athletes nowadays -- but I worry about them now being injury prone. We must insure a solid OL depth.

:clanram:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't think this wonderlic IQ thing is what makes someone special on the field. It's different when you're relaxed and just sitting and taking a test, it's another when you're on the field, you become a different person on the field, and maybe vince young lacks in these IQ tests, but he sure doesn't lack playing any games I've seen. I think he'll be a great QB, with or without a good IQ test

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Well thats true and it does take some smarts to run an offense in the NFL , With that said I have to agree with Linehan he can play and play well... Things can be taught to a young player over and over until it becomes a habit , second nature to him , Not all players that go to college go their to learn they go to play football , (not all) their are many very smart men that come out of college that play in the NFL , most I would say...

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I got 12 out of 14 ( I need a calculator for those other 2!) can I be defensive end now?

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Haha. Thats easy! I can't believe he did that bad. Think of how retarted he feels.
    As much as i like vince, that was pretty easy. He must be real stupid to score a six or he just didnt take it serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast