RamWraith is offline Registered User

NFL says false start was not discussed

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Oct. 18 2006

NFL vice president of officiating Mike Pereira says there was no false start
    and no discussion of a false start after Matt Hasselbeck's last-second spike
    Sunday for Seattle.

"I have looked at the video from this play over and over, and there is nothing
    that even resembles a false start," Pereira said. "All offensive players were
    set, but the wide receiver was not on the line of scrimmage. That is an illegal
    formation, and not a false start, and does not create a 10-second runoff."

After the game, Rams defensive end Leonard Little said he heard referee Ed
    Hochuli, in discussions with his officiating crew after the spike, say there
    were two penalties on the play: one for a false start and one for an illegal
    formation.

But in a phone interview Tuesday, Pereira said that wasn't the case.

"I have spoken with Ed Hochuli, and he said there was no discussion of a false
    start," Pereira said.

Nonetheless, Hasselbeck's spike with 4 seconds remaining led to a confusing
    ending. The Seahawks were penalized 5 yards for illegal formation, but there
    was no 10-second runoff on the game clock. As a result, Josh Brown had a chance
    to come out and attempt a 54-yard field goal, which he nailed for a 30-28
    Seahawks victory.

On Monday, Rams coach Scott Linehan said that while he agreed that Hochuli made
    the correct call, the integrity of the rule was in question because of the way
    it was worded and because of possible loopholes.

On Tuesday, Pereira said he didn't understand the confusion over the rule. He
    said all pre-snap penalties at the end of either half were subject to the
    runoff. But when it was pointed out that the rule was not written that way, he
    replied, "I know."

Linehan said that one way to get around the runoff rule was to have wide
    receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt simply race down the field and have one
    snap the ball to the other, forcing an illegal formation penalty, stopping the
    clock without a runoff.

Pereira said all players must be "in a box" no deeper than where the running
    back would line up in the backfield before the ball was snapped. Otherwise, it
    would be a false start penalty. But apparently there is no wording in the NFL
    rule book to indicate this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: NFL says false start was not discussed

Pereira is giving us the humadahumada....

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "I have looked at the video from this play over and over, and there is nothing
    that even resembles a false start," Pereira said. "All offensive players were
    set, but the wide receiver was not on the line of scrimmage. That is an illegal
    formation, and not a false start,...
    That's what I've been saying since Sunday. I think if we are ever beating a team by 30 or more points we need to do the Holt/Bruce thing just to see what would happen. I like that coach dreams of ways to torment the refs...pure evil....mwuahahahahaha

RealRam is offline Registered User

An attempt to clarify.

After watching the game on NFL Replay (4th Qtr. only), I realized I had made a blundering mistake on how I thought the sequence of the last few plays went on Seattle's last drive.

Especially thinking that Leonard Little's offside penalty happened just before the controversial penalty(ies). As in "three flags for three different penalties".

In the controversial and confusing context I mentioned the fumble between center and QB as well as Hasslebeck calling for time out (when in fact they were already out of TO's and he actually spiked the ball instead).

Sorry. Totally out of whack. :\

'Let ... it... GO' -- Rambo - First Blood

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You are forgiven, just don't let it happen again lol

RealRam is offline Registered User

...Just don't let it happen again.
    Ten - four, LARam0. I'll try.

I'm sure Coach Linehan and everyone of us Rams would rather win games on a more convincing and clear note. I felt bad seeing SL and others on the Rams sideline jumping for joy, thinking that the game had ended due to a 10-second runoff, when I was trying to figure out what in the world had happened.

A good lesson. That's what happened. Let's get'em next time!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

If you look at the call, I think Hochulli rolled his hands in a "false start" motion as he said "illeagal formation"...so tell me again how there wasn't a false start in there?