RamWraith is offline Registered User

NFL working out well for Massey

By Anthony Hanshew
    The Herald-Dispatch

June 3, 2006

HUNTINGTON -- The career that almost never was is working out well for Chris Massey.

Marshall University's former longsnapper nearly chose to forego his senior season for the real world. Massey graduated early with his degree in athletic administration and was prepared to choose 40-hour workweeks over football with the 2001 season approaching.

"I was graduating and after not having any money in college the workplace looked good," Massey said. "I talked to my dad and my brother and they said, 'you don't get to play football all your life.'"

Bobby Pruett proved the closer in Massey's decision. The veteran Thundering Herd coach, who molded numerous future National Football League talents, saw pro potential in the former East Bank High School standout.

"He was like, 'no, I think you ought to stick around. I'm going to make you team captain. You might have a chance to make a camp in the NFL,'" Massey recalled.

"My eyes got real big. And I loved playing here, and I love playing football. ... I decided to stick it out and I'm glad he was there and talked to me about it."

Most Thundering Herd fans know the rest of the story. Massey was Marshall's lone player selected in the 2002 NFL draft and he's played every game of his St. Louis Rams career.

He recently re-signed with the Rams, agreeing to a four-year contract. Longsnappers long toiled in NFL anonymity, but the position is becoming more appreciated.

The New York Giants famously lost a playoff game in San Francisco several years ago largely because of a bad snap. That play has made snappers such as Massey and fellow Marshall alumni Mike Bartrum (a veteran with the Philadelphia Eagles) much more high profile.

"It's funny, because a lot of fans take pride in that, knowing that position is secure," Massey said. "I've been around, doing charities and this and that, and guys come up to me and say, 'man I'm so glad they signed you back. You were our number one offseason free agency move.'

"It makes you feel like you're doing your job. ...

"It can actually cost you a game. It can cost you field position. We play the greatest game in the world and games are split by hairs. There are no more dynasties."

Massey recently returned to Huntington for the Bartrum and Brown Football Camp. Inadvertently, he was part of one of the afternoon's biggest laughs.

Former Marshall and Arizona Cardinals center Jason Starkey didn't exactly give his friend the kindest of introductions. Speaking to the campers, Starkey simply said, 'This is Chris Massey. All he does is long snap and bench press."

Longsnappers, like kickers, normally aren't celebrated for their workout regimens. Massey, however, is an exception, owning bench press records both with the Thundering Herd and Rams.

"He's still bitter because my name is on the record board and not his," Massey joked.

Armed with his new contract, Massey is settling into St. Louis with wife Sarah and one-year-old daughter Maddyx. He's working toward his master's degree in athletic administration, while beginning the summer grind of mini-camps.

"The key is consistency, no doubt about it," Massey said. "Nobody knows your name unless you have a bad one and screw it up or cost yourself a game."

Rip32 Guest

Re: NFL working out well for Massey

He plays a role that does'nt get alotof kudos but is an integral part of the team if he was'nt on the team Jeff Wilkins would'nt be as successful

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

agreed..... Massey is a key part in this ST, im glad he signed that 4 year extension

general counsel is offline Registered User

It is shocking to hear that he owns the rams bench press record. i wonder how much weight. massey weighs about 245 or so, i cant believe he can lift more than claude terrell, who i read held the bench press record in college at around 500 pounds.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

500 lbs?!?!?! one word..... WOW!!!!!!!

jkramsfan Guest

i'm glad for massey and also for the rams, smart move to get that very important position solidified.