Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice Blurb from Mel Kiper on Alexander

In response to a question supplied by one of our favorite sportswriters:

Armen Dacity (Winter Park, FL)

Had Denario Alexander not been hurt in the Senior Bowl, where would have have gone in the draft?

Mel Kiper (1:13 PM)

Another guy I highlighted on the Personnel Points last year on ESPN.com. This kid, very easily, if not for the injury issue could have gone high, based on talent. I wrote about him: "imposing target, good hands. Difficult to bring down in open field." I gave him a 4-5 round grade, even with the injury question. He's a talented kid.
    If he can stay healthy for the rest of this year, and continue to build up the muscles around the injured knee in the offseason, the Rams should, at a minimum, have a real bargain.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: Nice Blurb from Mel Kiper on Alexander

How does a guy who's 6'4 215 who runs a 4.4 with a (then) 44 inch vertical leap who led the NCAA in receiving have a lower grade than Aurellious Benn?!?

Benn is comparable in size, much slower, and had half of his production.

Maybe he did a good cone-drill. Or perhaps the distance between his thumb and his forefinger is more desireable than DA.

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    How does a guy who's 6'4 215 who runs a 4.4 with a (then) 44 inch vertical leap who led the NCAA in receiving have a lower grade than Aurellious Benn?!?

Maybe he did a good cone-drill. Or perhaps the distance between his thumb and his forefinger is more desireable than DA.
    I think you misread Kiper's comment. He had DA as a 4th/5th rounder WITH THE INJURY. Without it, he might have been a first round guy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Not that it's right or wrong, but a big part of the answer to your question lies in the scheme. Mizzou did not run a "pro-ready" scheme. Alexander, even if the injury never happened, would have to learn a pro route tree just like Avery did. Add to that Alexander inability (perceived or real) to fight a jam at the line, and one could see where his value would drop even without the injury.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I don't know if you guys saw or thought this but it seemed to me that it seemed Denario didn't seem full out or 100% at his ability. From watching him in college it didn't seemed like he had the final burst of speed there. Don't know if it's just my take, anyone think the same on this?

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Many NFL players shave their knees & ankles because of all the taping. I say The Rams med team needs to slap some Rogaine on that sucker & armor plate the resulting growth with some of Mel's hair product.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think you misread Kiper's comment. He had DA as a 4th/5th rounder WITH THE INJURY. Without it, he might have been a first round guy.

I stand corrected, Mr. Fett.

My complaint is more based on the general attitude that "draft experts" have reguarding certain players. All the negatives about DA cumulatively are nowhere near as problematic as the fact the Benn DID NOT PRODUCE ON THE FOOTBAL FIELD.

The most glaring example of this was the ongoing "debate" over who should be drafted higher: NDamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy. I watched Path to the Draft religiously and I couldn't believe my ears. Analysts were totally split down the middle. They played against the same schools, and Suh's production last year was significantly more than McCoy's production over the course of his entire career.

Analysts were saying McCoy is the better pass rusher....based on what?!? Certainly not production, since they weren't even close.

It's the same thing with DA and guys like Benn...who look like Tarzan but play like Jane. If DA were 5'9 and slow but produced big, I'd understand, but he's a full-blown NFL prototype (sans injury).

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just think it's so weird.

richtree is offline Registered User

Why the personal jabs at Benn. He is a good player, and actually preformed the best at the combine (overall). He does everything well, and can get yards after the catch.

I think Benn and Williams (for TB) will both be very good, but Benn may be better down the road as a pure #2 WR in the NFL.

Mike Williams is a nice player but is a little bit of a tweener. He isn't super strong or super fast and has nice height but nothing outstanding.

Bryant, Benn, Alexander, Williams, and even Tate are all good players.

My probably was with the next 35 WR's taken that mostly have no chance of being a #1 or #2 WR or a special Team threat when Alexander was just sitting there.....

I bet 31 other teams would give up one of their round 5, 6, or 7 pick now for Alexander.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Benn didn't have a QB throwing to him. Bashing him is missing a lot of the facts.

Production isn't everything when one player is being double and triple teamed and another isn't. Dante Ridgeway had massive production at Ball State and the Rams cut him because he couldn't play at an NFL level. George Selvie didn't have much production at the end of his college career but how offenses contained him was a major reason.

I stand corrected, Mr. Fett.
    Um... what is that supposed to mean???

Also, while we're on the subject of unnecessary derailing of threads, why can't you simply appreciate the positive comment from Kiper without bringing Benn (who has nothing to do with this issue) into it?

Legion is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not that it's right or wrong, but a big part of the answer to your question lies in the scheme. Mizzou did not run a "pro-ready" scheme. Alexander, even if the injury never happened, would have to learn a pro route tree just like Avery did. Add to that Alexander inability (perceived or real) to fight a jam at the line, and one could see where his value would drop even without the injury.
    well, if we are going to go that route, Michael Crabtree Played at Texas Tech, and that's not really a pro ready offense either lol. BUT HEY!! Sam Bradford came from Oklahoma, all 3 of those schools are Big 12 teams, and the players in question are doing pretty good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Um... what is that supposed to mean???

Also, while we're on the subject of unnecessary derailing of threads, why can't you simply appreciate the positive comment from Kiper without bringing Benn (who has nothing to do with this issue) into it?

Mr. Fett. Your Avatar. Boba Fett.

It was a nice compliment, albeit retroactive.

[QUOTE=richtree;364325]Why the personal jabs at Benn. He is a good player, and actually preformed the best at the combine (overall). He does everything well, and can get yards after the catch.

Yes, yes he does. So much so that he has 6 receptions for 67 yards and a fumble so far this season.

I'm not saying the guy is supposed to be Jerry Rice right off the bat, but he's not exactly in a logjam of talent at WR in TB. He should be able to produce. He's on a passing team.

Bottom line, and then I'll drop it: Benn is a combine guy. Golden Tate, Damien Williams, Emmanuel Sanders, Jordan Shipley, Eric Decker, Mardy Gilyard, Mike Williams....all of these guys produced big time on the field in college and were drafted after him. So, of course, was Danario.

I just don't understand it.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Mr. Fett. Your Avatar. Boba Fett.
    So, that's what that Avatar is!

And all this time I thought it was GumbyRam.

Who'da thunk it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast