RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Nice game, but again, Saunders must go!

Nice game to end the season. I definitely saw some great things from some of the younger guys on the squad, and I actually thought we were going to be able to pull this one out for awhile. Unfortunately, we just couldn't get it done at the end ...

With that said, Saunders just has to go. I, among many, were very excited to get him in the offseason. I think we all had disillusions of the GSOT being reborn. Here comes that Martz-style offense that we have all come to love. The problem is, the league has figured that offense out. Martz cannot even run it proficiently anymore, what makes us think Saunders can? Honestly, we need to go with something a little more conventional ...

Saunders had me fooled for a bit - it looked like he was calling a pretty decent game. But we you go back and look at it, he plays NOT TO LOSE. We run a beautiful screen pass to Jackson earlier in the game, that he one hands, then hurdles a defender to gain big yards. Then we run the same play again, 3rd and 9, on the Falcon's 11 yard line? What a joke ...

Then, 2nd and 2 on the last drive, they have been futile stopping Jackson, then we try a pass and get sacked. Then on 4th down, the inevitable out route, that I really would have loved to see Avery come down with, albeit a bit high. The rook can make those plays, we've seen it before. But what about a quick slant in this situation. How about a smoke route? Sometimes simplicity is the key ....

All day, the Falcon defenders were sitting on the out route, which Saunders is obsessed with. Maybe he doesn't have confidence in the young WR's to run the middle, but why not send Klop or Fells over there? How about sending the RB's in the middle ....

The Saunders offense has become a joke. At times, he shows glimpses of brillance with some of the fancier stuff he runs. The biggest problem is he just doesn't know when to pass. So often, we are stuck in 3rd and long, or we pick complicated timing routes to pick up 3rd and short situations. And the red zone offense doesn't even need to be talked about ....

In conclusion, the Saunders experiment needs to be over, if Haslett comes back or not. It was a nice idea, but definitely not going to work here ....

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Nice game, but again, Saunders must go!

Nice post infiniti. I think you may be right about Saunders.

I hope that you are not banned from the Clan. I will miss you if this is true
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

he is not banned, just serving a 2 week suspension

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    he is not banned, just serving a 2 week suspension
    Be easy on these guys Dez. It is quiet enough in here as it is. I hate to see the outspoken ones being pushed out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

follow the simple rules and everyone is very welcome

when you see the red mist, you should count to 10 before posting

some members just dont seem able to grasp that.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    follow the simple rules and everyone is very welcome

when you see the red mist, you should count to 10 before posting

some members just dont seem able to grasp that.
    The red mist is always there though, now what?

I agree infiniti in ditching Saunders, but with a new coach most likely being hired, that is a foregone conclusion.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We do need to dump him. I hope he gets his walking papers next week.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Saunders, Haslett, and Venturi all need to go. I also was excited to see Saunders hired this offseason when the Rams, for reasons still unknown, decided to give Linehan more time, but it's been a disaster. Losing is like a cancer and every part of it must be removed if you hope to get better. Saunders is a big a part of that cancer as any of the coaches were.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Seems to me we've had this conversation with everybody who's called plays for this team the last few years. In my opinion, one season is not enough time to make a judgement on Saunders, particularly when so many Rams had dismal seasons'.

How do you determine whether it's the play-calling or the players not reading, reacting and executing properly?

I happen to believe that failed plays are the result of a lack of execution more times than not.

Certainly there are times when it appears to be just a bad play-call versus the defense in front of them, but to me, that is where a QB who is able to read defenses comes in. If the QB is able to read the defense, then perhaps he should audible out of the original play and call something better suited for the defense he's facing.

Rarely have I seen this in a Ram QB in recent years. Don't know why, but certainly some sort of audible system needs to be implemented pronto, and then perhaps we won't need to change play-callers after every season.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I never see red mist.What's with the red mist?AHHHHHHHHH!MAMA!

HornIt is offline Registered User

I disagree and I never expected a return of the GSOT. I was never that excited about Saunders though either. I believe both he and Linehan are very capable OC's. I didn't think and still don't think that is the problem. Those guys both have proven themselves as OC's if they have the players.

It's not the system that teams have caught up with. It's that the GSOT players don't exist as a unit and in their prime anymore. Many good offenses still run this system. It's an effective system.

I'd be fine with them keeping Saunders. I think they can find other good OC's too. But until this team gets some better players on offense and those players get a little time in the system, it's not going to be real pretty. I think what you'll find though is that when Saunders and Linehan end up as OC's elsewhere and if given a little time and some good players, they'll probably have success again as OC's too.

But Saunders was never Martz. Same system, different philosophies. Saunders likes to run the ball. He likes to use the TE. He likes a more physical approach to the game on offense and he likes to protect the football. Nothing wrong with that.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I was really hoping we were going to run the ball more, especially early when it was working, but he kept calling in those pass plays that haven't worked well all year. I really believe that with the way we were playing today, we should have had a 14+ point lead at some point.