RamWraith is offline Registered User

Nickís Mailbag Ė April 1, 2008

Rick Reed

Who owns the St. Louis Rams now that Ms. Frontiere has passed on?

NW: The majority ownership of the team has been transferred to her son Chip Rosenbloom and daughter Lucia Rodriguez. Stan Kroenke remains as minority partner.

Mike Hoffman

Isaac Bruce a 49er?? How did this happen? Isaac was supposed to be a Ram for the rest of his career per his last contract. I have been a Ram die hard since the mid fifties. Let me know.

NW: Unfortunately, itís simply the nature of the business. The days of keeping a great player in the same uniform for an entire career are gone. Rare is the player who starts and finishes in one place. Jerry Rice played for the Raiders, Emmitt Smith for the Cardinals and the list goes on. Isaac Bruce will always be a Ram and I believe when his time comes, he will enter the Hall of Fame as a Ram. Unfortunately, the best situation for him once he hit the market was with the teamís biggest rival and his former coach. Nobody wanted that to happen, itís just the way the league is.

Ruben Campos

Nick, Thanks for taking my question. I have been thinking who would be the best pick at No. 2 and I have come to the conclusion that if Chris Long is gone and Rams do not trade down, it is a HEALTHY Dorsey or Jake Long. I think the Rams are 8-8 at best next year and to pass up Dorsey or Long for a DE need is being short sighted. What are your thoughts at no.2?

NW: Ruben, I couldnít agree more. I have been writing since the combine that itís likely a three person race for that No. 2 pick. I still believe Chris Long is the guy is he doesnít go to Miami, but the Rams really like Dorsey, especially the coaches on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive coaches really like Jake Long. If Chris Long is off the board, it comes down to who will have the greatest impact and who you feel the most comfortable paying that No. 2 pick money to. Remember, there was a point before all the ridiculous injury speculation that most people thought Dorsey would be the No. 1 pick because he was simply the best player available.

Jim Mulvaney

How far along is Orlando Pace in his rehab and will he be ready for training camp?

NW: Pace is coming along very well in his rehab and all signs point to him being prepared for training camp. Heíll likely be limited through OTAs and mini camp, but by the time training camp hits, expect Pace to be ready to go.

Tiffani Jenkins

What do you think our chances are of actually winning more than 3 games in 2008 considering we have a pretty tough schedule????

NW: Itís a funny league, Tiffani. As a Rams fan, I would think you would know just how topsy turvy the NFL can be. You can go from a disaster of a season to Super Bowl champion in one year with a few savvy offseason moves and some lucky bounces. And itís impossible to tell what a difficult schedule is at this point because teams you think are supposed to be great flop and some that were supposed to flop turn out great. I think thereís an excellent chance the Rams win more than three games in 2008 simply because thereís no way all of the bad injury luck they had last year can repeat itself.

Kevin Richey

Any chance the Rams might look towards another Seahawk, who use to kill us and pickup Darrell Jackson?

NW: Jackson is near the end of the line and the Rams signed Reche Caldwell. The next receiver added to the depth chart will come via the draft, perhaps as early as round two.

Nick Ruzicka

After the Rams select jake long, what position do they pursue after in the second round?

NW: Well, I donít think itís a slam dunk that Jake Long is the choice by any means. But Iíll play your game anyway. If Jake Long is the first pick, the Rams must get a pass rusher, perhaps two in two of the next three rounds. I would say one of them would come at in round two. If the Rams come out of the first round with a defensive lineman, receiver is likely the target barring a top offensive lineman or cornerback being on the board.

Aaron Holt

Is there any chance the rams will draft McFadden and keep Steven Jackson? Use them as a one two punch?

NW: Not much of a chance at all. Thatís a luxury the Rams canít afford considering other needs.

Ernie Duran

Nick,

Dallas would love to get the you know who RB, the Rams should demand both of their #1's, their 2 and 3 and force Dallas to make the call. I know that there is some talent drop-off, but the rams could make some big changes with the extra early picks. A team makes their money-if their homework is done right. Would you go for it?

NW: Simply put, nope. I think the only way itís even a consideration is if you are getting all of those selections and a top player. The Rams need instant impact players. I agree they could use the extra picks to fill many of the needs, but the Rams want to come out of this draft with one of those top six or seven players on the roster. This draft has some nice depth, but itís also top heavy. Itís important to the Rams to emerge from the draft with one of Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston or Sedrick Ellis. A trade down is possible, but it wonít likely be Dallas unless they offered a proven pass rusher, both No. 1s and perhaps another top pick this year or next.

Kevin Baldwin

Nick, what interest would the Rams have in Thorpe award winner Antoine Cason, should he be available to them in the 2nd round?

NW: I think the Rams have plenty of interest in adding another corner. Iím not sure of any specific interest in that player, but a top cornerback will certainly be a consideration in round two.

Paul Silva

Nick, with all the failed defensive line draft picks the Rams have used in the last 5 or 6 years, Pickett, Lewis, Kennedy, and the book is still out on Carriker, why don't they look harder at free agency or a solid trade to get the help they so desperately need?

NW: First of all, lumping Pickett in with Kennedy and Lewis is patently unfair. Pickett is a very productive and solid player in this league. Maybe he isnít a Pro Bowler, but the numbers suggest that heís one of the better players at his position in the league. Iíll grant you that Kennedy and Lewis obviously didnít work out. As for Carriker, Iím not sure the book is still out. Yes, he needs to do it over the course of another year or so, but he was better than most realize in 2007 and when he can finally settle into one position, I believe heís a difference maker. They also deserve credit for finding Clifton Ryan, who could also become a very productive player in the fifth round.

As for searching for outside help, Iím not exactly sure what you want them to do. Free agency yields no options. Teams that have top pass rushers place franchise tags on those players and those players then get obscene amounts of money. The Rams are like many teams in kicking the tires on trades, but I donít think giving up a couple of picks for Kris Jenkins and signing him to a monster extension is in the best interest of the team. Same can be said for Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams, etc. If those guys were such great players, do you think those teams would deal them for third and fifth round choices? Simply put, thereís a premium on truly great defensive linemen and those guys are never seeing the light of day in free agency.

Jim Bombeck

Our Rams were 3-13 last year and clearly not a very good team that has a lot of needs if they want to compete. One of those needs is at the wide receiver position. My question is what were the Rams thinking when they let Kevin Curtis become a free agent? Now they are in desperate need of a wideout that can stretch the field vertically as a #2 guy and KC is perfect.

NW: Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but itís important to remember all of the details about the way Curtis departed. The Rams had interest in bringing him back, but Curtis also wanted the chance to go somewhere he could start. He had done enough to earn that and the Rams couldnít promise him anything with Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt still in the fold. Curtis went to Philadelphia and had a great season, but letís say he signed somewhere that he would have been the third option like St. Louis; do you think his output would have been as good? Obviously, Curtis would still be a great asset to the Rams and any team for that matter, but this team needs a receiver with speed who also has the ability to break tackles and get yards after the catch.

Scott Cooley

I'm getting a little nervous about the prospect of drafting Dorsey at No. 2. Since Dorsey did so well in his workout, a lot of smart people have the Rams taking him. With the history of interior defensive lineman we have used high picks for over the last few years - I don't want to be disappointed again. I feel we should draft Long (Michigan) or even Gholston (with all the upside) over Dorsey. I would almost wager my Roman Gabriel watch that either of these picks will pan-out better than Dorsey. What do you think?

NW: I understand the trepidation of using another high pick on a defensive tackle considering whatís happened recently, but ask yourself Scott, is it worth passing on the guy many believe could be the best player in the draft just because of what might have happened in years past? For instance, what if the Lions had passed on Calvin Johnson because of what happened with Charles Rogers and Mike Williams? By no means am I saying to follow Detroitís example, but the point is that everyone believed Johnson was the best player in last yearís draft and Detroit still needed help at the position because Williams and Rogers were colossal busts. In addition, itís a different regime and different talent evaluators working on this yearís class than the ones that took Kennedy and Lewis.

As for my opinion, I believe Dorsey is the second best player in the draft after Chris Long and heís the type of high impact player this defensive line needs. I have my doubts about Gholston though he has the physical package to be dominant. I also think Jake Long will be solid for a long time, but I wonder how much he helps in the immediate future. I think the injury questions on Dorsey are overblown considering he played through all of those things and never had much of a chance to heal. Heís a big time player who can have a profound effect on the defensive line in so many ways. Think Warren Sapp, heís that impressive on film.

Mark Gallagher

What's the status on the injury to Adam Carriker? I know he was injured severely on the final game of the year, (sort of a metaphor of our entire 2007 season) I just wanted to know how his recovery is coming.

NW: Carriker has a long and winding road to recovery. Heís still in the relatively early stages. The absolute earliest he is expected to be ready is training camp, but thereís a good chance heíll miss a chunk of that too. Knowing Adam a little bit, though, I wouldnít be stunned if heís back earlier than expected because he works that hard and loves football that much.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Nickís Mailbag Ė April 1, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Waggoner
    I believe Dorsey is the second best player in the draft after Chris Long and heís the type of high impact player this defensive line needs. I have my doubts about Gholston
    Mr. Waggoner, you are mistaken. Vernon Gholston once benchpressed a Cadillac, outran a bullet, and has tamed a giant ox named Blue. Have you not seen his highlight reel?........he's Godlike!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Mr. Waggoner, you are mistaken. Vernon Gholston once benchpressed a Cadillac, outran a bullet, and has tamed a giant ox named Blue. Have you not seen his highlight reel?........he's Godlike!
    While I don't benchpress caddy's or have blazing speed (any speed for that matter) I refuse to admit that I have been tamed by anyone, even if they are Godlike.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This was a very interesting read. I really enjoy the last chunk about Carriker. The guy has had my attention since the day we drafted him, I knew he'd be a great pick and he hasnt disappointed me. Keep him at DT and watch him do wonders for this team.

As for the first pick, most people are saying Dorsey. Though I am against that, if we draft Dorsey, we also need a pass rush in the second round and that limits us to taking either an OT or WR in the third round. Now I'm sure a WR could fall to us in the 3rd and a good OT in the 4th, but is it really worth that risk?

Ntchwaidumela is offline Registered User

"....but this team needs a receiver with speed who also has the ability to break tackles and get yards after the catch..."

Ha! And there I was a while back being given a hard time because I didn't like our receiving corps diving to the floor before the incoming tackle!!!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Rick Reed

Who owns the St. Louis Rams now that Ms. Frontiere has passed on?

NW: The majority ownership of the team has been transferred to her son Chip.......
    Sigh....don't ask me why I focused in on this (I know, it's so out of character for me), but I'm not thrilled that our owner's name is Chip. It's so.....cashmier sweater tied around the neck preppy sounding.

My question is, which Chip are we getting? The squeeky clean Chip of My Three Sons....

or the crazy loner Chip of Cable Guy?
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-06-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Hello Steven....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Sigh....don't ask me why I focused in on this (I know, it's so out of character for me), but I'm not thrilled that our owner's name is Chip. It's so.....cashmier sweater tied around the neck preppy sounding.

My question is, which Chip are we getting? The squeeky clean Chip of My Three Sons....

or the crazy loner Chip of Cable Guy?
    Then I'm sure it won't make you feel any better to know he's a film maker.

Can't you just see it? The Rams line up on the ball. Bulger drops back, nobody picks up the blitzing safety and Bulger gets hammered. Off on the side, we hear a voice.......

Chip: Cut, cut. We're going to have to reshoot that. I need more emotion from the offensive linemen, and please people, let's get the stunt double out there before the hit. We don't need our leading man taking those kind of shots! Okay, places..........aaaaaaaaaand ACTION!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Interesting how he's lukewarm on the Godlike Gholston.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-06-2008, 07:32 PM