Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick's Good/Bad/Ugly from Rams vs Bears

The Good
    -Marc Bulger is a player. The man got completely hammered tonight, and still had a great game against a very tough Chicago defense. His QB rating was nearly 40 points higher than what Bears' opponents average, and he threw 3 TDs against a team that has allowed only eight all year.

-Steven Jackson, what more can we say? 139 total yards and two touchdowns tonight. Jackson got stood up early by Urlacher, and seemed to learn his lesson. On a later red zone carry, Jackson ran right, saw an unblocked Urlacher, and then turned back to the left for a gain. That's using your noggin', Steve.

-For the second week in a row, rookie tight end Joe Klopfenstein has made his presence felt in the passing game, catching four catches in each of the last two games. Whether this is a sign of Bulger looking his way more or Linehan/Olsen using him more in the passing game, it's good to see.

The Bad
    -Fakhir Brown was the man in coverage on two touchdown receptions tonight, and the latter of the two resembled a catch that Travis Fisher was strung up for allowing in the Seattle game. Will Fakhir be the recipient of similar criticism? I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...

-What is this, the third defensive holding call on La'Roi Glover in two weeks? It's pretty hard to be called for defensive holding as a lineman, but obviously Glover is doing something to draw attention to himself as much as he is.

-Torry Holt continues to have some problems this season, as he was unable to come up with a few catches that he'd normally make. Holt is a top five receiver in this league, so when he's having trouble making plays, you know something's wrong. I view Holt's mistakes as a microcosm of this season, really.

-Once again, the Rams didn't seem to have an answer to the opposition's running game. Jones and Benson combined for 140 yards at over 5 yards a carry. On the season, Jones is averaging 4 ypc while Benson is getting 3.8.

-Rex Grossman's 114.4 QB rating is the highest he's put up since a 41-10 whipping of the San Francisco ***** in late October, the last game before Chicago's undefeated streak ended. Apparently the solution to Grossman's poor play was simply to make a trip down to St. Louis.

The Ugly

-The Rams did not accumulate one sack in the entire contest. The entire gameplan this week should have centered around how to make Rex Grossman uncomfortable when he does have to drop back and throw, and the result is zero sacks. In fact, on an early third down, Grossman was able to evade pressure and scamble for 22-yards!

-Devin Hester is a very good return man, but there's no reason why he should have been able to run two kickoffs to the house on us. It seemed as if our entire coverage team was off to one side on the first return, and Butler did nothing to contain Hester when he broke free. I'm still at a loss for words at what happened to our coverage on the second kickoff, in which Hester had no wedge but our players still seemed to be blocked out of the play.

-Last time I checked, the logo at midfield belonged to the St. Louis Rams. But why did it feel as if this was a Chicago home game tonight? The chants from the crowd every time Muhsin Muhammad caught a pass were as loud or louder than the chants when Bruce caught a pass. Fans seemed to be cheering quite loudly for Chicago when they made good plays. What gives, St. Louis fans? What happened to the white-out we heard about days before the game?
    Last edited by Nick; -12-12-2006 at 03:36 AM.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Nick's Good/Bad/Ugly from Rams vs Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams did not accumulate one sack in the entire contest. The entire gameplan this week should have centered around how to make Rex Grossman uncomfortable when he does have to drop back and throw, and the result is zero sacks. In fact, on an early third down, Grossman was able to evade pressure and scamble for 22-yards!
    Agreed. This was not only ugly, but devastating. Lack of pressure and allowing a comfort zone for Grossman was a major reason we lost the game IMO. We could have absorbed what they did with the run, but not when combined with the damage Grossman was able to do through the air.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

There is no Good, Bad or Ugly. 70 years in the National Football League and this franchise has simply gone to HELL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BlackDiamond is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This was not only ugly, but devastating.

You wanna talk ugly, let's talk about that scramble by Grossman! Did he have new shoes on or something? LOL

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I just don't get Holt, he dropped some easy catches tonight including a key catch on 3rd down that would have given us a 1st. Instead we punt and the Bears score a touchdown. Then he makes an amazing catch in garbage time. This can't be helping his DVD sales.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Fakhir Brown was the man in coverage on two touchdown receptions tonight, and the latter of the two resembled a catch that Travis Fisher was strung up for allowing in the Seattle game. Will Fakhir be the recipient of similar criticism? I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...
    Ah, but that was back when we had hope for the season. I don't doubt what you say is true, but if Brown doesn't get called out for it by anyone else, I don't think it will be because of double standards but rather because his mistakes are overshadowed by our horrendous run defense. Had we allowed 172 yards on the ground in that game against Seattle, I doubt folks would have been talking about the corners' play as much. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible that we just haven't been seeing how weak our pass defense is on a regular basis because they've been running all over us every week.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Ah, but that was back when we had hope for the season. I don't doubt what you say is true, but if Brown doesn't get called out for it by anyone else, I don't think it will be because of double standards but rather because his mistakes are overshadowed by our horrendous run defense. Had we allowed 172 yards on the ground in that game against Seattle, I doubt folks would have been talking about the corners' play as much. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible that we just haven't been seeing how weak our pass defense is on a regular basis because they've been running all over us every week.
    That's a good point. Even though are pass defense was ranked in the top 10 coming into Monday, that's more of a by product of teams running down our throats than anything.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

No devin hester. 28-27 (obviously we wouldve went for 2 at one point.)

I'm am so sick you guys have no idea, this just ruined my entire week.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The seahawk fans were saying that Hester got a nice illegal block to spring him on one of the runs. I have not gone back to look yet, but that would just be another zebra advantage that made this an impossible game.

I don't get Holt either. He seems to have lost his spark. He is dropping balls that land right in his hands and he seems to have no competetive spirit left in him. He seems to be going through the motions.

Bulger was impressive. He moved the ball on them and took some hits and kept his focus. Curtis is making big catches and getting hit hard and holding on to the ball. Bruce still has his fire and he is making tough catches. Steven Jackson is playing better and better. He is getting lower and his vision is improving.

Nick, Fahkir Brown may deserve criticism now, but I just don't have the energy to bring it now. What is the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Putting nearly 400 yards and three TDs on the number 2 pass defense in the league shows that Bulger is actually a god.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Last time I checked, the logo at midfield belonged to the St. Louis Rams. But why did it feel as if this was a Chicago home game tonight? The chants from the crowd every time Muhsin Muhammad caught a pass were as loud or louder than the chants when Bruce caught a pass. Fans seemed to be cheering quite loudly for Chicago when they made good plays. What gives, St. Louis fans? What happened to the white-out we heard about days before the game?
    Present company excluded, I am disgusted with the Ed Jones crowd! This was nothing short of a home game for the Bears. I even heard the commentators say the Rams went to a silent count on offense. A silent count.....at home.....that's ridiculous!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

This was a pathetic game. How can our defense get hung up for 28 points from a POS offense.
    They made Rex Grossman look like Joe Montana instead of what he is (aka Jon Kitna)

What is up with Torry? I think he has more drops this season that he did the prior 6 seasons combined.

Marc is missing on a lot of passes that he would have gotten last year.

Are you tired of the dump off pass to Steven Jackson. It looks like the dump off pass is Marc's first option all the time.

I blame Linehan and Olsen. He has stallions in Bulger, Jackson, Bruce and Holt and he is making them pull milk truck. You show off your stallions not relegate them to pulling a wagon.
    I am tired of this crap WC offense. What did Olsen do in Detroit. Nothing.
    The coaching staff needs to wake up. The are taking square pegs and trying to shove them into a round hole.

Note to staff:

Cut Fakhir Brown. He is a liability.
    Draft Linemen. Battle are won in the trenches.
    I would like to see Ron Bartell in there more along with Jerametrius Butler. Both of them is an upgrade to Brown.

Did you see that play where Bulger threw the pass and got clobbered by 3 Bears lineman? None of his offensive linemen looked him in the eye after that play.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    Did you see that play where Bulger threw the pass and got clobbered by 3 Bears lineman? None of his offensive linemen looked him in the eye after that play.
    of course they didnt, Bulger would have ripped into them completely. Not only that, but they didnt want to admit he was right!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

We're no where right now because all the "talent" we drafted isn't here for us, and we're basically back where we were 5 years ago with a defense thats worse, thats the only difference. We're starting from WAY behind, we're not even close becoming a mediocre defense because there is no one that can excel at all...they're either too old, or draft busts. The only faith I have right now in players are Victor, Tye, and a few other guys from this draft. Thankfully we had a decent draft, if we could get more drafts like this, get big name draft picks (Adams, Willis, etc), and eventually in a few years, we'll be where we should've been this year. What a damn shame...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Regarding Brown's play as others have been saying, I'm almost too tired to really comment on it, sure it didn't look good. We suck. There's no hope left for this season. Brown's play, the way I see it, has been very up and down this year, he's not exactly a top CB but as long as the coaches refuse to let Butler play (and Fisher out with injury etc. etc.) what choice do we have really?

Another thing I really don't get is why is Jerametrius Butler playing special teams? He completely whiffed on one of the TD returns, he has *never* been any good on special teams. He's a pretty good cover guy (or at least we know he used to be, I personally think he still is), but not a good special teams player. Then why the heck do we use him on special teams while he doesn't see much time at all as a CB on the defense? To me that's just blatant misuse of a player by the coaching staff, what's next Bulger returning kickoffs, Torry Holt playing DE? If we're not going to use Butler as a CB we'd be better off having someone else take his roster spot, someone who is capable of playing special teams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast