Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NickSeiler's Rookie Scouting Thread

Since it's never too early to be thinking about the draft in my opinion, and no that doesn't mean I've given up on the season, I thought I'd make a thread and post some scouting reports on rookie prospects that I like in terms of working for the Rams. If you have comments, questions, or reports of your own to add, feel free to.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Jammal Brown

-Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma

-Nick's Take: I feel Jammal Brown is the best right tackle prospect in this year's draft, and would be a great addition to the Rams' offensive line. He's an athletic player that I think would really be great protecting Bulger on the right side of the line, and would grow into a good run blocker as well. He shows good agility and has long arms as well as a lot of experience. He should be available when we pick in the first round, especially if some underclassman tackles come out, such as D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

-Expected Draft Position: Mid to Late 1st Round

nfldraftcountdown.com

Jammal Brown

Height: 6-6
    Weight: 313
    40-Yard: 4.90

College: Oklahoma
    Position: Offensive Tackle
    Class: Senior

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Very athletic...Has long arms...Agile with quick feet and moves well...Excellent in pass protection...Has a lot of experience...May be able to play left tackle in the pros.
    -Weaknesses: Not as big or strong as you would like...Not a dominator in the running game...Not all that tough or physical...Lacks a killer instinct and doesn't finish his blocks.
    -Notes: The best player on one of the best offensive lines in the nation...May be the best all around tackle in the draft but doesn't have the upside that Alex Barron does.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-16-2004 at 03:13 PM.

Kevin Burnett

-Outside Linebacker, Tennessee

-Nick's Take: I think Burnett is really an ideal fit for us at linebacker, and he might fall to the second round because of concern over his injury history. But his upside is worth the gamble, in my opinion. Burnett boasts great speed and coverage abilities, is an outstanding tackler, and a team leader. What else could the Rams want at linebacker?

-Expected Draft Position: Late 1st to Early 2nd Round

nfldraftcountdown.com

Kevin Burnett

Height: 6-3
    Weight: 235
    40-Yard: 4.55

College: Tennessee
    Position: Outside Linebacker

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Excellent athletic ability...Good size...Very good speed...Great instincts...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Excels in coverage...Can get after the quarterback...Good in pursuit...Explosive tackler...Team leader and captain.
    -Weaknesses: Might not be all the way back from a major knee injury...Doesn't always play up to his physical ability...Could stand to add some weight and get stronger.
    -Notes: Began his career as a safety...Has all the tools you look for and could be in impact performer at the pro level but has to show he is all the way back from the knee injury.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-16-2004 at 03:13 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: NickSeiler's Rookie Scouting Thread

Excellent idea, Nick!! In regards to Burnett what college is he at? Might be a good idea to list the college these prospects are currently playing for. At any rate. I look forward to your additions to this thread.
    Keep up the good work!!!!

WHAT SAY YE?

David Baas

-Guard, Michigan

-Nick's Take: Damn, if only this were the year where we had two first round choices available, because I'm not convinced Baas is going to last deep into the second round, at least not long enough for us to take him. But I think he could really shore up that left guard position for us with good technique and excellent awareness. He also has some experience at center, and I know how the Rams like to get guys who can play multiple positions on the line.

-Expected Draft Position: Early to Mid 2nd Round

nfldraftcountdown.com

David Baas

Height: 6-5
    Weight: 323
    40-Yard: 5.1

College: Michigan
    Position: Offensive Guard

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Has a lot of experience and comes from a program known for producing good pro linemen...Quick...Very competitive and can be downright nasty at times...Strong...Very smart and aware on the field of play...Tireless worker who always gives 100%...Displays great technique.
    -Weaknesses: Needs to continue getting bigger and adding bulk with his size being the biggest question mark...Only marginal pure athletic ability.
    -Notes: The best offensive lineman the Wolverines have produced since Steve Hutchinson...There isn't a lot not to like about this guy and he should be starting for someone very early on in his pro career.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-16-2004 at 03:14 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nick, You mentioned that you didn't think Baas would last "deep into the 2nd round": but, the way things are going for the Rams we may well have the 12-15th pick in the second round-
    assuming we finish at 7-9. This would give us between the 44- 47th pick in the draft. Do you think Baas could last that long?
    Also, although the Rams defense has had it's problems, I, at this time, would not be opposed to selecting OL in the first 2 rounds of this draft.
    I am very worried that Bulger is going to end up like Warner as far as injuries and diminished physical capacity is concerned.

WHAT SAY YE?

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Nick,

I like your suggestions especially the o-linemen. I believe we need to shore up our o-line with quality linemen that are young and these 2 could fit that description.
    Sprtsmac :football:

I agree that I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to going offensive line in the first two rounds either, but the chances of it happening are slim to none. Heck, the chances of the Rams taking an OL-man in the first round are slim, considering their history and the question marks around Turley. But I think either Baas or Brown would be good additions to that unit, and if we do end up with a mid-round pick, we might be able to nab Baas in the second.

More to come soon!

Ahmad Brooks

-Linebacker, Virginia

-Nick's Take: He looks like the real deal to me. He's three years removed from high school so he's elligible despite only completing his sophomore year in college. There's question as to whether or not he'll come out this year, but if he does, then I'd rank him right up there with Derrick Johnson as one of the top linebacker prospects in this draft. He's quick, a great tackler, and he's a leader on defense.

-Expected Draft Position: Early to Mid 1st Round

-Video Highlights: http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?SID=5418853

nfldraftcountdown.com

Ahmad Brooks

Height: 6-4
    Weight: 249
    40-Yard: 4.62

College: Virginia
    Position: Outside Linebacker
    Class: Sophomore

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Great size...Very good speed...Amazing athlete who even saw time as a kick returner...Versatile...Could be an OLB or MLB at the pro level and even saw some time at defensive end in passing situations...Has everything you look for physically with an unlimited upside.
    -Weaknesses: Doesn't have a lot of experience and has only played two years of college football...Gets by on his sheer talent at times...Game needs to be refined and he must learn the nuances of the position.
    -Notes: Didn’t qualify academically coming out of high school so he played at Hargrave Military Academy for a year before enrolling at the University of Virginia. Situation similar to that of Larry Fitzgerald last year because even though he will only have played two years of college football he could conceivably enter the 2005 NFL Draft because it will have been three years since his high school class graduated...Father Perry was a DT with the Washington Redskins...Could be a future #1 overall pick but would still go very high if he entered the '05 Draft.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

My take on your scouting

Jammal Brown - don't like him because of this weakness
    Lacks a killer instinct and doesn't finish his blocks.
    Not finishing blocks is a bad thing.

Kevin Burnett - looks like a solid player and leader.

David Baas - like him a lot.
    Very competitive and can be downright nasty at times...Strong...Very smart and aware on the field of play...Tireless worker who always gives 100%...Displays great technique.
    Ahmad Brooks - young and inexperienced. A risky pick with potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rampete is offline Registered User

i personally don't feel comfortable with the idea of picking an o-lineman with the first pick with the idea of starting him next season...

i'd rather the rams FO go thru the FA to upgrade the o-line.

Justin Miller

-Cornerback, Clemson

-Nick's Take: After Rolle and maybe Marlin Jackson, the next handful of cornerbacks are really interchangable in terms of rank. But one underclassman that stands out is Miller, who possesses good speed and is a ballhawk, not to mention an outstanding return man.

-Expected Draft Position: Mid to Late 1st Round

nfldraftcountdown.com

Justin Miller

Height: 5-11
    Weight: 200
    40-Yard: 4.40

College: Clemson
    Position: Cornerback
    Class: Junior

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Playmaker in the secondary...Has great ball skills and a knack for making the big play...Very good speed and quickness...Fluid hips in coverage...Excellent athletic ability...Has a lot of experience despite being just a true junior...A threat to score every time he touches the ball...Physical and likes to hit...Also a dynamic return man.
    -Weaknesses: Only average size...Had a down year as a sophomore...Gambles too much in an effort to make the big play...Inconsistent and will lose his concentration...Had some off the field problems...Can be too confident for his own good.
    -Notes: Has just about everything the NFL is look for in a top cornerback...Not a finished product by any means, but a playmaker like this won't last long when he enters the draft.

Adam Terry

-Offensive tackle, Syracuse

-Nick's Take: He's an experienced player, but experienced doesn't always mean elite. Terry looks to be a huge prospect - six foot nine!? - and sounds like an intelligent player. I've been hearing some negative buzz around him recently though, which could drop him into the third round. But he's got the size (needs to add more bulk) and the smarts to be a servicable starter, I believe, especially on the right side.

-Expected Draft Position: Mid 2nd Round to Early 3rd Round

nfldraftcountdown.com

Adam Terry

Height: 6-9
    Weight: 324
    40-Yard: 5.2

College: Syracuse
    Position: Offensive Tackle

SCOUTING REPORT
    -Strengths: Tall player with the frame to add weight and get bigger...Has a ton of experience...Has been very durable...Smart play who knows how to use proper technique to his advantage...Good quickness and athletic ability...Works hard and is an intense player.
    -Weaknesses: Needs to add some weight and get stronger...Doesn't look like a 300-pounder on the field because of his height...Not a dominator in the running game...Still has to be considered somewhat of a project because of his size at this point.
    -Notes: May be able to handle the left tackle position in the NFL...Has a lot of tools and if he can add some bulk the team that drafts him could have a steal on their hands.