r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

No Bulger In Prisco's Top Ten QB's

Despite being 5th in completions, 6th in pct., 6th in yardage, 4th in YPG, 2nd in Rushing TD's, 11th in TD's, and 8th in QB Rating among NFL starting QB's, Marc Bulger doesn't make the top ten here?

I know I probably shouldn't care, but I can't help being bothered by a lack of respect and consideration for those that are deserving. Maybe I'm biased, but numbers don't lie. If his numbers alone don't make a solid case, adding his intangibles as a proven clutch performer and tough as nails competitor should. Marc Bulger is the complete package and is most definitely a top ten NFL QB.

June 14, 2005
    By Pete Prisco
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Pete your opinion!

Pete Prisco ranks the NFL's top offensive players at each position.

Quarterback
    Player
    1. Peyton Manning, Colts How much more can he do from a statistical standpoint? Now it's time to win the ring.

2. Tom Brady, Patriots He doesn't put up big numbers, but he gets it done when it counts. The guy is a legitimate star.

3. Daunte Culpepper, Vikings If not for Manning's amazing season, we'd all be talking about what Culpepper did. Now comes the hard part: Doing it without Randy Moss.

4. Donovan McNabb, Eagles When he finally got a legitimate weapon in Terrell Owens we saw how good McNabb can be. He elevated his game last season.

5. Michael Vick, Falcons He's a magical player at times, but he has to improve his passing. When that happens, look out.

6. Brett Favre, Packers He can still make some amazing plays with his arm, but he's not the same player he was a few years back. But we're glad he's back for another season.

7. Steve McNair, Titans Injuries crippled him last season, but he decided to keep playing instead of retiring. He's lost some weight and he's healthy again. But his team is crumbling around him.

8. Trent Green, Chiefs He had another huge year in 2004 from a numbers standpoint. He knows how to move the chains.

9. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks He started slow in 2004, but he came on in the end. With a new, fat contract, he's the man in Seattle. With no more worries, he should play more relaxed.

10. Chad Pennington, Jets The one concern with Pennington is his rotator cuff injury. Will he get his velocity back? If not, the Jets are in trouble.

gap Guest

Re: No Bulger In Prisco's Top Ten QB's

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike

Quarterback
    Player
    1. Peyton Manning, Colts How much more can he do from a statistical standpoint? Now it's time to win the ring.
    If he was a RAM, choking in the big game would be the reason he did not make the list. Legitimate top 10er.
    2. Tom Brady, Patriots He doesn't put up big numbers, but he gets it done when it counts. The guy is a legitimate star.
    He's only a star because of the media hype trying to distract from the illegal defense. legitimate middle 10er
    3. Daunte Culpepper, Vikings If not for Manning's amazing season, we'd all be talking about what Culpepper did. Now comes the hard part: Doing it without Randy Moss.
    Legitimate top 10er
    4. Donovan McNabb, Eagles When he finally got a legitimate weapon in Terrell Owens we saw how good McNabb can be. He elevated his game last season.
    Ditto
    5. Michael Vick, Falcons He's a magical player at times, but he has to improve his passing. When that happens, look out.
    Strickly because of his elusiveness, but should be 9-10.
    6. Brett Favre, Packers He can still make some amazing plays with his arm, but he's not the same player he was a few years back. But we're glad he's back for another season.
    Getting long in the toothe, and can, lately, be counted on for a rookie INT, but he's a competitor.
    7. Steve McNair, Titans Injuries crippled him last season, but he decided to keep playing instead of retiring. He's lost some weight and he's healthy again. But his team is crumbling around him.
    I think the injuries and age have him in the 9-10 or worse.
    8. Trent Green, Chiefs He had another huge year in 2004 from a numbers standpoint. He knows how to move the chains.
    Legitimate top 10er
    9. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks He started slow in 2004, but he came on in the end. With a new, fat contract, he's the man in Seattle. With no more worries, he should play more relaxed.
    It's hard to say with his WRs dropping so many balls, but whose to say better throws wouldn't have been caught.
    10. Chad Pennington, Jets The one concern with Pennington is his rotator cuff injury. Will he get his velocity back? If not, the Jets are in trouble.
    Why, to satisfy the NY market? He couldn't carry Bulger's strap. And he wouldn't even be allowed to launder KW's.

gap

theodus69 is offline Registered User

If the team was at the top, Bulger would get his props! But right now this is not that great of team as of late, so give it abit and if the Rams get back to the GSOT , he will get his due. If they don't, well don't expect any great Praises for the guy. He is good, but when I'm in the circle of Football Fans talking about their respective teams, Bulger just never gets into the topic of conversation. He's well over looked. But he isn't that flashy either. People like flash!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

How well the team is doing doesn't (and shouldn't) have a damn thing to do with it! Packers? Titans? Seahawks? Chiefs? They were no better than the Rams, yet all had their QB's rated higher. Why?
    Matt Hasselbeck was rated, yet Marc Bulger was not? Doesn't Bulger's team spanking Matt's, three times in one season, have anything to do with it?
    Chad Pennington is no better than Joey Harrington on a stronger team. Mike Vick is an incredible athlete but an admittedly mediocre passer.
    This is just another example of Mike Martz and anything he produces being shunned by the media.
    Last edited by Scidog68; -06-15-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. Peyton Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Daunte Culpepper
    4. Donovan McNabb
    5. Michael Vick
    6. Brett Favre
    7. Steve McNair
    8. Trent Green
    9. Matt Hasselbeck
    10. Chad Pennington
    Wow, I disagree with that list. Steve McNair at seven? Mike Vick at five? Chad Pennington breaking the top ten?

Going into 2005, mine would look like...

1. Manning - Undeniably the best QB in the league, Manning would have multiple rings if Indy had any semblence of a defense.

2. Culpepper - Performed well even when Moss has been sidelined, so I don't think he'll fold in '05 without Randy.

3. Green - Arguably the most underrated QB in the league, Green puts up consistently good numbers throwing to no-names.

4. Brady - Not worthy of all the praise he's gotten, but worthy of a good bit of it.

5. Favre - Still performs in the regular season, but has started to choke in the playoffs.

6. McNabb - Can't argue with his 2004 numbers once he had someone to throw to.

7. Bulger - Bulger should be applauded for putting up the numbers he did with that make-shift line.

8. Delhomme - Underrated as a pro quarterback in the grand scheme of things, look what he did last year without his #1 man.

9. Hasselbeck - You have to believe his stats would be better if he had some guys who could hang onto the ball.

10. Vick - He's a weapon, but not as a passer. Still, he deserves mention on this list, I believe.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I think Drew Brees should be right there with Jake D. at number 8 .Now when this list comes up again after the 05 season,We'll see a marked difference,except for Manning at the top spot.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Three comments:

1) I posted some info from the Herd's board that ranked QBs by their stats or something, and Bulger was indeed near the top, while Hasselback was near the bottom (both facts surprized me). In fact, I'm surprized that we on this board do not give Bulger the credit he is due. Bear in mind that Bulger has had to fill some big shoes left by Warner, and I think he's done well, certainly better than most anyone expected. I'm thinkin that Bulger is the best kept secret weapon in the NFL.

2) Don't get yourselves worked up by what the paid journalists write. They are only journalists. They ain't that smart, they ain't that brilliant, they ain't that knowledgeable, they ain't that well paid. Being a journalist can be a tough life. Very few make bucks equal to their notariety. So, do not hold them to high standards. They will let you down, and frustrate you every time.

3) Pay more attention to what the knowledgeable writers here on this board (Nick, AV, GC, etc.) write instead. That also goes for other Ram fan writers, like Rubbersoul, (is he posting on a different board than the PD?), and some of the great guys at the Herd board, etc..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If, IF, the offensive line stablizes this year particularly at the RT position, Bulger may not be able to stay off the radar screen. Adding to that will be the improvement of Curtis and McDonald who are both healthy this year.

It is pretty well accepted that when a team has a winning record combined with playoff appearances the QB will get more kudos. Whether or not that is fair or not, does not matter--it is what it is...

I will close with this: There isn't another QB out there that I would rather the Rams have than MB. This isn't to say he is the best in the league, but I think he is the best guy to run the Rams offense and likely will end up breaking into the top ten at the conclusion of the 2005 season.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Looks like this ranking took a left turn right about here:

6. Brett Favre, Packers He can still make some amazing plays with his arm, but he's not the same player he was a few years back. But we're glad he's back for another season. [on the perpetual list until he retire's. Not that good anymore]

7. Steve McNair, Titans Injuries crippled him last season, but he decided to keep playing instead of retiring. He's lost some weight and he's healthy again. But his team is crumbling around him. [Um, this guy hasn't don't anything in years.]

8. Trent Green, Chiefs He had another huge year in 2004 from a numbers standpoint. He knows how to move the chains. [Yeah, good QB. Bulger should also be right around this spot with the likes of Green, and Hasselbeck]

9. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks He started slow in 2004, but he came on in the end. With a new, fat contract, he's the man in Seattle. With no more worries, he should play more relaxed. [But at the same time, Bulger should be ahead of this guy who's never won a playoff game]

10. Chad Pennington, Jets The one concern with Pennington is his rotator cuff injury. Will he get his velocity back? If not, the Jets are in trouble. [I like the guy, he's better than many in the AFC, but what about Breeze? Shouldn't he be on here or even make a case for Rothlesomethin...Nice pick Coweh!]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When asked about Prisco's rankings, Marc responded "Pete who?"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Should not even be mentioned. Average at best, plays for a bunch of cheaters.

QUOTE]6. Brett Favre, Packers He can still make some amazing plays with his arm, but he's not the same player he was a few years back. But we're glad he's back for another season. [/QUOTE]

If he's #6 then Bulger should be #2. A gamer, but his best years are behind him.

10. Chad Pennington, Jets The one concern with Pennington is his rotator cuff injury. Will he get his velocity back? If not, the Jets are in trouble
    Are you kidding me? :tut Average at best, Bulger, Brees, Rothensburger ......
    All look like HOF ers compared to him.

It's the off season. :angryram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey