Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: No complaints about Bruce's contract now?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Pff yea for some guys we dont know if they are going to sprout. Arrignton, Peterson, and Woodson are proven. We need one of them.
    If you're worried about having "only" $17 million in cap space with all the defensive needs to fill, why would you wanna blow $7-10 million of it on one of those money hungry losers? Even if [enter Poston client here] signs for a reasonable amount this year, once [Poston client] has a breakout year, [Poston client] will hold out through all of training camp for at least $10-15 million the following year.

And they are anything but proven. Everyone knows they have talent, but none of them have played up to expectations. None of them have completed a full 16-game season in more than half of the years they've been in the NFL. Neither Arrington or Peterson has had a 100-tackle season. Charles Woodson has turned in a whopping 1 interception five out of eight years in the league.

The way I see it with signing these three, you'll either get:

1) Good seasons followed by classic Poston hold-outs, disrupting team chemistry and breaking the bank.

2) More injury-marred, underachieving seasons.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    If you're worried about having "only" $17 million in cap space with all the defensive needs to fill, why would you wanna blow $7-10 million of it on one of those money hungry losers? Even if [enter Poston client here] signs for a reasonable amount this year, once [Poston client] has a breakout year, [Poston client] will hold out through all of training camp for at least $10-15 million the following year.

And they are anything but proven. Everyone knows they have talent, but none of them have played up to expectations. None of them have completed a full 16-game season in more than half of the years they've been in the NFL. Neither Arrington or Peterson has had a 100-tackle season. Charles Woodson has turned in a whopping 1 interception five out of eight years in the league.

The way I see it with signing these three, you'll either get:

1) Good seasons followed by classic Poston hold-outs, disrupting team chemistry and breaking the bank.

2) More injury-marred, underachieving seasons.
    Exactly. I agree 100%. Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Let me just start by saying that any player who is represented by the Postons would be as welcome as curried chickens feet at Fat Pang's picnic............

On a more serious note,

I'm glad we got Bruce re-signed but have to point out that it's cost too much to get it done. Yes we have $17 mil left, and yes it's a lot of cash, but it could have been even bigger and put us in an even better position heading into FA.

My other concern is that with Bruce's cap figure being as big as it is in later years we could see this situation rear it's ugly head again. At the end of the day, he's an aging wide receiver who's only getting older and as he does will get more injury prone and his performance more susceptible to a drop off. (Brutal I know but true)

If we see a resurgence of his turf toe next season, and Curtis continues to progress, can we really justify his salary and the $3mil a year that comes after it? Will the FO be able to justify it.

I think not.........

As well as this, just how long are we to expect Curtis to wait and remain a happy camper if he wins No.2 on the depth chart and is paid considerably less than Bruce? We'll see huge salary inflation at our strongest position and someone will come under pressure to justify their large cap numbers.

We cannot criticise the FO for their failure to land the higher price defensive FA's and effect real, wholsale change in our defensive personnel, if we support giving this quantity of cash to Isaac.

To those good friends of mine on this board who may be upset by this post, can I just say that it's good to have him back, but it was expensive and I see trouble ahead. (The fortune cookie is back!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    I'm glad we got Bruce re-signed but have to point out that it's cost too much to get it done. Yes we have $17 mil left, and yes it's a lot of cash, but it could have been even bigger and put us in an even better position heading into FA.
    It could have been bigger but honestly the list of FAs that we should go after that are available this year aren't as impressive as past years, so I think 17 mil is plenty. Sure it would be nice to have more, but I think keeping Bruce is worth more to the team with his talent and and leadership skills than spending the extra 6 mil we would have had.
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Hey, Bruce played it right and got the deal for him. He wouldn't have come close with any other team on the original offer the Rams gave him. That being said, Yeah maybe we gave him too much , but he can retire a Ram and is still my favorite. Just hope he can end his career with some big #s.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    He wouldn't have come close with any other team on the original offer the Rams gave him.
    You are dreaming, a lot of teams need good WRs, he would have gotten a better offer with another team than the first deal the Rams offered.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He wouldn't have come close with any other team on the original offer the Rams gave him.
    I guess we'll never know now, will we? But the fact remains there were multiple teams interested right off the bat.

Old and 2 mediocore seasons and hurt? Nahhh. I love Bruce, but he is on the downside. And I'm sure there were several teams that would love to have him but not at the PRICE the Rams gave him. IMO that's all!

Old and 2 mediocore seasons and hurt? Nahhh. I love Bruce, but he is on the downside. And I'm sure there were several teams that would love to have him but not at the PRICE the Rams gave him. IMO that's all!
    Those other teams that were interested wouldn't offer him less than the Rams did with their first offer. Why would Bruce take the same or less to go to a new team?

Well I'm probably wrong but what offers did he get? he got 6 mill more I think than the first offer and I'm sure he wants to end his Career here. I doubtbhe got a better offer than the Rams original. But correct me if I'm wrong!

We won't know what offers he would have gotten since it only took a couple of days for him to resign. But it only makes sense that any team interested in him would offer more than the Rams first offer because he wouldn't take less.

dewalt_ram is offline Registered User

What he has done for this team over the years is well worth the $$$$$. He played for this team and gave 100% when we sucked worse than last year and never griped, complained or held out he showed loyalty to a team when he could have been gone 10 years ago for big $$$ to another team. Its nice to finally have the suits show some loyalty back for a vet who has done the same. Even if only catches 30 passes this season he is worth it for his PRESENCE and LEADERSHIP. U think Holt would be the reciever he is today with out learning from one of the best (IKE)????? Think abt that a minute. We have gave away alot of money on players in the past that couldn't hold a candle 2 Ikes ability at this point of his Career. IKE IS A ORIGINAL RAM and its only right he is allowd 2 FINISH AS A RAM. Now if some other young Rams follow Ikes Loyalty lead and sign with the Rams for years to come instead of chasing the $$. WE might be aight for a few years into the future.

GET CURTIS INTO A 5 YEAR DEAL NOW or next year we will be SORRY!!!!!!!!!!

DEEP INTO THE PLAYOFFS OR BUST IN 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I'm fine, and exited about this deal. This is one of those deals that you can only determine if it was worth it after the next 2 years. If Bruce stays healthy and continues to be a quality #2 guy and get's his share of the load every game then he was well worth it, especially because he's a long time Ram.

If he gets injured and misses a lot of time, or starts to noticeably lose a step, or just get outright beat out by Curtis this year, then perhaps was the wrong move.

True, all deals are best looked at at the end, but especially with an aging vet, because you're not sure whether to gamble on him and his health/productivity, or move on to the youth of the future. In Bruce's case, I think he deserves the chance, #1, and #2, I think in this transition year to a new coach, the more veterans we can keep, the smoother the transition.

I also think keeping Bruce influences Marshall. If Bruce left, it would be kind of like "the band's breaking up".

but now it's like "The band's gettin back together!!"

I think Marshall will stay and play some more ball with his boys.

dewalt_ram is offline Registered User

Put Bruce in the Slot and let Curtis and Torry have the wideout spots, and run a 3 receiver set 90% of the time make teams account for 3 of the leagues best on every snap. Dont forget 2 put marshall in the backfield with jackson more often than not also, and if we Get Davis sure he is a tight end but with his speed and size he can line up wide also , OH MAN that O will be so overwhelming the opposing defenses wont Know wich way 2 turn.

SUPER BOWL WIN OR BUST IN 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123