Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    No deal with Rams and OJ Atogwe and no new tender. The safety is an unrestricted free agent.
    From Jason La Canfora's Twitter, 13 minutes ago.

    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  2. #2
    cfh128's Avatar
    cfh128 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    775
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    I understand that OJ is maybe not worth as much as he thinks he is, and overpaying him may be a mistake... but who the heck is going to be our starting FS now? I'm really not in love with any of the current options.

  3. #3
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,204
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfh128 View Post
    I understand that OJ is maybe not worth as much as he thinks he is, and overpaying him may be a mistake... but who the heck is going to be our starting FS now? I'm really not in love with any of the current options.
    Ditto that Cfh. James Butler to the rescue? Craig Dahl and Kevin Payne step up. And we will need one more for depth.

    Thanks for the news Nick.

  4. #4
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Let's let play before we go saying we have a hole guys. Got a whole training camp and the rest of OTAs, along with the preseason to see who can be there.

  5. #5
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    While I know the odds are diminished... there is a chance we still sign Atogwe.

    It will be interesting to see what he can command in the open market.

  6. #6
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Anyone remember sharper hit the market for a bit too and still signed once he tested the waterrs.

  7. #7
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Anyone remember sharper hit the market for a bit too and still signed once he tested the waterrs.
    Edit: additional thought could be better a better contract for us once he relizes what he is worth and not having to pay the 7mill tender to keep him.

  8. #8
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Let's let play before we go saying we have a hole guys. Got a whole training camp and the rest of OTAs, along with the preseason to see who can be there.
    And if it transpires that we do have a hole, does Billy Devaney just simply say "Oops, my bad, I didn't see that coming either?" "Here, let's trade our third round pick and Steven Jackson to Philly for their 4th string safety. Think of the cap space we save."

  9. #9
    lordwhttgr's Avatar
    lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Why didn't we sign him? What went wrong here? OK 7 mill is alot, but he gets none if he doesn't make the team. He can be cut later at any time. This makes absolutly no sense. If some shmo walks in off the street and beats him for the job, what have we lost?

  10. #10
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,139
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    Why didn't we sign him? What went wrong here? OK 7 mill is alot, but he gets none if he doesn't make the team. He can be cut later at any time. This makes absolutly no sense. If some shmo walks in off the street and beats him for the job, what have we lost?
    I think the 7 million would be guaranteed money

  11. #11
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,133
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    I'm wondering what signal this sends to the rest of the team when the one productive defensive player we have gets tendered at an originally low level (meaning he can walk without compensation) and then doesn't get tendered at a high level (meaning he can walk without compensation). The players are human -- they'll work harder if the rewards are there. What is the reward here? No long term contract, no lucrative short term contract. If I'm a young player on this roster, where is the incentive? Either the injury was a lot worse than they've let on, the ownership situation *does* matter, or they just don't know what they're doing.

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    This is bad news. The best face you can put on it is that we can still compete for his services and hope that exposing him to free agency will convince him that we were offering a competitive deal. Otherwise, we just let one of our best players walk while in his prime without getting any value in return. I don't know what was asked or offered, but I do know the result leaves much to be desired.

  13. #13
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,859
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Obviously, Atogwe and his agent know best what his value is, as they've been openly able to communicate with other teams during free agency, so if he gets snapped up immediately, then we know that we simply under estimated his worth. If, instead, it takes him more than a couple days to find a team, I think that his agent has over inflated his price, and at that point we'll be right back in the thick of it, because we know him best and he won't have to move and get used to yet another system.

    Also, the team to watch is the whiners. He's dating Singletary's daughter, and they've talked shop. Mike is probably the best one outside of the Rams to gauge where he his in his injury status as well as general abilities. I really really hope that he doesn't go to them.
    I believe!

  14. #14
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I'm wondering what signal this sends to the rest of the team when the one productive defensive player we have gets tendered at an originally low level (meaning he can walk without compensation) and then doesn't get tendered at a high level (meaning he can walk without compensation). The players are human -- they'll work harder if the rewards are there. What is the reward here? No long term contract, no lucrative short term contract. If I'm a young player on this roster, where is the incentive? Either the injury was a lot worse than they've let on, the ownership situation *does* matter, or they just don't know what they're doing.

    Although I'm not a big fan of re-signing Atogwe for what he is asking, I do think this post has a good point.

  15. #15
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,479
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: No Deal: Atogwe officially a free agent

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Obviously, Atogwe and his agent know best what his value is, as they've been openly able to communicate with other teams during free agency, so if he gets snapped up immediately, then we know that we simply under estimated his worth.
    I think you're mixing up two concepts.

    The market will determine the PRICE for Atogwe's services.

    His play on the field will determine his VALUE.

    The two may very well not be the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Atogwe Puts Himself Into a No-pouting Zone
    By RealRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: -09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
  3. Rams Turn Toward Free Agency
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
  4. Atogwe Unconcerned with Free Agent Status
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-14-2004, 03:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •