Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: No defensive coordinator?

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Re: No defensive coordinator?

If you are going to give the offense the 5 yard route all day long, they are going to take it and destroy you.
    The pass rush is non-existant because the opposing QB is just delivering the ball on those short routes, neutralizing any potential pass rush. Mind boggling defensive scheme.

To be honest, the Rams just went against what will be 2 playoff teams on the road and lost. Not shocking. This week was 10x worse than the Falcons game because they were beaten physically.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Does anyone think Walton changed the defensive scheme, or is running a scheme or calling plays that Fisher hasn't approved? Walton spent the last couple years in Detroit playing under Schwartz, who was Fisher's DC in Tennessee for ages. He's coming from a coaching tree that uses the same scheme. It's not like we brought Singletary or Rob Ryan in here and we're using something completely different from a year ago.
    Fisher's d generally is aggressive. Where is the aggression so far this year? Where is Finnegan getting into peoples head? Where are the blitz schemes? Some thing is different from last year, so you have to start with what's different. FYI: Ryan and Fisher are from the same coaching tree.

Also, do you think Fisher may have been more involved last year since he didn't have a true DC? That could be another difference.
    Last edited by svh01; -09-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    Fisher's d generally is aggressive. Where is the aggression so far this year?
    I'd ask Fisher. After all, I doubt he's telling Walton to be aggressive and Walton is refusing so that he can call his own style.

We're frustrated by the regression of the defense and we're looking for answers. It makes sense to look at places that are different from the previous season.

But Walton is an inexperienced coordinator playing under a defensive-minded head coach. It's highly unlikely they just turned him loose and are allowing him to do whatever he wants to do. Walton likely has game day play calling responsibilities, but I'd be very surprised if Fisher didn't have a lot of say in the scheme and gameplan.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Walton likely has game day play calling responsibilities, but I'd be very surprised if Fisher didn't have a lot of say in the scheme and gameplan.
    Where are the in game adjustments? They seem to be non-existent. If they are making adjustments who is making those calls? It looks like Fisher just sits back and manages the game(clock management, dumb gadget calls, challenges, etc) and gives his staff the freedom to run the internals during the game. Between Fisher and Walton it's not very evident that it's working well. Maybe it is Walton, maybe it is Fisher, maybe it's just both?

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Where are the in game adjustments? They seem to be non-existent. If they are making adjustments who is making those calls? It looks like Fisher just sits back and manages the game(clock management, dumb gadget calls, challenges, etc) and gives his staff the freedom to run the internals during the game. Between Fisher and Walton it's not very evident that it's working well. Maybe it is Walton, maybe it is Fisher, maybe it's just both?
    We are all struggling to understand. In business, I always start at the top when things are falling apart. That is where I start here. It very well could be a lower level/process breakdown issue but the person in charge is the one that needs ensure it is identified and corrected.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    We are all struggling to understand. In business, I always start at the top when things are falling apart. That is where I start here. It very well could be a lower level/process breakdown issue but the person in charge is the one that needs ensure it is identified and corrected.
    I'm just raising questions to try and promote some discussion and speculation. That can be difficult to do here since most don't want to leave their perch on the fence. Of course it starts at the top. As of now, IMO, Fisher has no answers and that is evident in his words.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

As of now, IMO, Fisher has no answers and that is evident in his words.
    He does look like a man who's losing control of the situation. The team looks undisciplined, unmotivated, unprepared, and underachieving. Fisher has been talking about cleaning things up since the preseason. The time is NOW.
    Curly Horns and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to Bernie's latest write-up, Fisher had this to say after the game:

"I didn't see this one coming," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "I can't explain it."
    Well, Coach, you'd better find a way to explain it and get it fixed!
    Curly Horns and r8rh8rmike like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"I didn't see this one coming," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "I can't explain it."
    Wow. Just wow.

I'm just raising questions to try and promote some discussion and speculation. That can be difficult to do here since most don't want to leave their perch on the fence. Of course it starts at the top. As of now, IMO, Fisher has no answers and that is evident in his words.
    I think it is all Fisher. He looks disinterested this year in the game. I saw more emotion and energy from him last year. I am wondering if it has passed him by. Being a HC is grueling and he has done it for quite some time. This team reflect the blasť attitude I see from him........
    Curly Horns likes this.

svh01 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is disinterested. I always thought he is about as emotional as Belichek. What I don't see is the emotion from the players. Do you think players are "afraid" of coming back to the huddle after a dropped pass? Who's the commanding presence on the D holding people accountable for blown assignments?
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is disinterested. I always thought he is about as emotional as Belichek. What I don't see is the emotion from the players. Do you think players are "afraid" of coming back to the huddle after a dropped pass? Who's the commanding presence on the D holding people accountable for blown assignments?
    I saw more energy amd emotion on the sidelines from him last year. But that is my view.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I think it is all Fisher. He looks disinterested this year in the game. I saw more emotion and energy from him last year. I am wondering if it has passed him by. Being a HC is grueling and he has done it for quite some time. This team reflect the blasť attitude I see from him........
    If you are correct and I have no evidence to dispute that, it is both calamitous and tragic. I think many of us , myself included had such high hopes going into this season. We felt our defense was very good and getting better with Ogletree and Brockers evolving into Pro Bowl caliber players along with Long and Quinn too. Our offense was given a huge infusion of receiving talent plus an anchor type Left Tackle upgrading our offensive line. So there was reason to think we could advance from last year's record. Now having said all this we cannot scuttle the season based on today's game. It is just 1 game, but we've seen a pattern over the past 3 weeks that is troubling and I agree with those on this thread that are worried.

We're going into a short week before the ***** and they were humiliated at home today, so we can expect a ferocious onslaught. I hope we'll prepare and take learning from today and the previous 2 games. This is a 16 game schedule so its a marathon not a sprint. I feel confident that things will improve as we move along and players that don't improve will be replaced. The good news is that our health is still good so players are getting experience in game conditions. There is too much talent on this team for things to go sideways. Jeff Fisher will bear the brunt of the responsibility, but he and his staff didn't get stupid overnight, so let's hang in and hope for improvement soon.

I did want to add that we are profoundly missing Steven Jackson. His running talent and leadership are clearly missing when games like today happen. I'm not saying we should have kept him, but he added a lot to the running game that has been missing this season.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -09-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

That was the most disgusting display of defense I have ever seen..

Soft zones, no pressure on the QB, poor tackling, missed assignments. Where do I start? The new Ram defense is quickly assuming a new nickname. There was the fearsome foursome, the steel curtain, and now... The Lamb Defense.

I was embarrassed today to wear the Rams gear. That was sickening.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I've been wanting to say this for a while now. I largely blame coaching & Les Snead for this mess, and here is why. Even with below average talent last year we had a measure of success, but we had a several glaring issues that if not addressed would cause an issue this season.

These issues were:
    1) Poor DT play/no pass rush from the DT position.
    -We did not address the DT position in FA or in the draft, and we held on to K. Langford when he was (and remains) a glaring disappointment on the D-line; that man is stealing money at this point & may cause us to spend one of our first round pics on a DT. Week after week we watch QB's step up in the pocket untouched. Teams are merely forcing our DE's upfield week in & week out, its the same game plan over and over again.

2) Little/no running game.
    -Now our running game last year was average w/ an aging S. Jackson, and we let him go in the off-season. No one with any football sense should believe that Richardson is the answer there, and I have no idea why you don't play Stacy (he remains inactive), if he is in fact as talented as our staff believes.
    Not being able to run the football makes you one dimensional on offense, and hinders your ability to move the football on a consistent basis.

3) WR's who struggle to get constant separation.
    -Again we chose not to go after a proven WR in the offseason (apparently due to concerns on $$$), and chose rather to spend that money on a LT and TE. A often injured LT and an unproven TE. In regards to creating separation, we let our best two (2) WR's go in the off-season: Amendola & Gibson. Last year Givens success only came mainly because double coverage was given to D. Amendola, and the second best CB was working on Gibson which left Givens to work on the teams 3rd best CB or a LB; he struggles to gain separation even with his speed. Now why would we believe that he is ready to be our teams #1 WR???? Quick is beginning to look like either: A. a bust or B. a guy in need of a change of scenery to achieve his full potential. Austin also struggles with press coverage & is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

4) We go from no Defensive Coordinator to one with NO coordinating experience.
    -I don't think I even have to address this issue, we are seeing it play out before our eyes. I believe that Fisher is giving him a great deal of freedom, and he's being . Perhaps Fisher is allowing him to "take his lumps". Even in the various interviews Walton is saying that the issues on defense are his fault due to poor play calling.

5) O-line depth issues
    -Even going into the off-season we had issues w/ the o-line. We had questions at both tackle positions and Guard. We address this by drafting B. Jones (which I approve of), moving Saffold who (God bless him) can't stay healthy, signing an aging/often injured/seemingly declining LT, and keeping/placing hope in other teams o-line cast offs (Barksdale, Smith, etc.) .

In closing: I understand that you can not address all of your issues/needs/concerns in one offseason, however I can only question as to why Fisher chose to overpay for a TE when we had a bigger need at WR, and why he believed that both Langford & Richardson were the answer at their respective positions. Lastly, the book is still out on Walton, God knows it can only get better from this point.....right??? Nevertheless, this is only year two of the Fisher regime, so there is no need to panic. Afterall unless you were a over zealous superfan, you would have to admit that this team should be 7-9 this year(possibly 6-10).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast