Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: No defensive coordinator?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: No defensive coordinator?

If I didn't know any better I would think this whole display (everything from Fisher and the coaches to the players) seemed like we were being paid off to lose.

Obviously that is probably not the case, but I don't see anything from the coaches and the players that resemble anything close to desire to win.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Just incase anyone forgot last year we played this same D where the CBs gave up a 8-10yd cushion on almost every down. The difference between this year and last year from what I remember is the safties alignment. Last year they played close to the LOS. Helping to Take away the passes in the middle of the field that natuarlly the CBs can't get to becuase they are 10yds away and the LBs can't get to becuase they aren't as fast. Now they are 15+ yds off the LOS and it seems like we are looking for our 2 slow LBs, and 1 inexperienceed rookie to stop everything from screens, slants, seam routes, in routes, etc... Which as we see it won't work.

And another thing I think is affecting our defensive play besides the scheme is missing leadership. Dunbar was our defensive leader from game 1. He always set the tone for us... As much as rams fans like jl55 and long, (I have never really cared either way about them cuz to me they are nothing more than solid to good players, but the best we have at both positions) they are not leaders. To me a leader is a motivator and has an IT factor... Like whatever IT is... It will pop out at you. If I'm on my couch watching you I should see IT, feel IT, when u talk. No one has IT on this D or this team for that matter. Maybe one of these rookies have it but its just to early to tell.

punahou is offline Registered User

the Saints are 3-0 with Rob Ryan just as a sidenote.

Is Lovie Smith coaching anywhere? Id like to have him back as D Coordinator.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I've been wanting to say this for a while now. I largely blame coaching & Les Snead for this mess, and here is why. Even with below average talent last year we had a measure of success, but we had a several glaring issues that if not addressed would cause an issue this season.

These issues were:
    1) Poor DT play/no pass rush from the DT position.
    -We did not address the DT position in FA or in the draft, and we held on to K. Langford when he was (and remains) a glaring disappointment on the D-line; that man is stealing money at this point & may cause us to spend one of our first round pics on a DT. Week after week we watch QB's step up in the pocket untouched. Teams are merely forcing our DE's upfield week in & week out, its the same game plan over and over again.

2) Little/no running game.
    -Now our running game last year was average w/ an aging S. Jackson, and we let him go in the off-season. No one with any football sense should believe that Richardson is the answer there, and I have no idea why you don't play Stacy (he remains inactive), if he is in fact as talented as our staff believes.
    Not being able to run the football makes you one dimensional on offense, and hinders your ability to move the football on a consistent basis.

3) WR's who struggle to get constant separation.
    -Again we chose not to go after a proven WR in the offseason (apparently due to concerns on $$$), and chose rather to spend that money on a LT and TE. A often injured LT and an unproven TE. In regards to creating separation, we let our best two (2) WR's go in the off-season: Amendola & Gibson. Last year Givens success only came mainly because double coverage was given to D. Amendola, and the second best CB was working on Gibson which left Givens to work on the teams 3rd best CB or a LB; he struggles to gain separation even with his speed. Now why would we believe that he is ready to be our teams #1 WR???? Quick is beginning to look like either: A. a bust or B. a guy in need of a change of scenery to achieve his full potential. Austin also struggles with press coverage & is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL.

4) We go from no Defensive Coordinator to one with NO coordinating experience.
    -I don't think I even have to address this issue, we are seeing it play out before our eyes. I believe that Fisher is giving him a great deal of freedom, and he's being . Perhaps Fisher is allowing him to "take his lumps". Even in the various interviews Walton is saying that the issues on defense are his fault due to poor play calling.

5) O-line depth issues
    -Even going into the off-season we had issues w/ the o-line. We had questions at both tackle positions and Guard. We address this by drafting B. Jones (which I approve of), moving Saffold who (God bless him) can't stay healthy, signing an aging/often injured/seemingly declining LT, and keeping/placing hope in other teams o-line cast offs (Barksdale, Smith, etc.) .

In closing: I understand that you can not address all of your issues/needs/concerns in one offseason, however I can only question as to why Fisher chose to overpay for a TE when we had a bigger need at WR, and why he believed that both Langford & Richardson were the answer at their respective positions. Lastly, the book is still out on Walton, God knows it can only get better from this point.....right??? Nevertheless, this is only year two of the Fisher regime, so there is no need to panic. Afterall unless you were a over zealous superfan, you would have to admit that this team should be 7-9 this year(possibly 6-10).
    One offseason? The reality is that this has been on going since Vermeil, then Mike Martz left.
    It amazing me how other teams can make RAPID turnarounds, draft highly productive players, and FIND coaches that breathe life into forlorn franchises.

Since Vermeil and Co left, who have we drafted that is a good to great NFL player?
    Clong Ill put there as he has produced numerous seasons.
    Id like to put Quinn there, but 1 season doenst make a man.
    Same mindset on Jenkins.

Other than that, I cant think of anyone with a WoW factor, unfortunately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123