No fine so far for Chamberlain

BY JIM THOMAS
Friday, December 23, 2011

As of Thursday, linebacker Chris Chamberlain hadn't heard from the league about any fines stemming from the Rams' 20-13 loss to Cincinnati last Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

"If I do get one, I'm obviously going to appeal it," Chamberlain said. "You can clearly see on tape what was going on."

Chamberlain was referring to the second of two unnecessary roughness calls against him by referee Jerome Boger and his crew in the fourth quarter.

"What happened basically was the guy, he got his hand up under my face mask, and I felt like it was malicious intent," Chamberlain said. "It got up under there and he was messing with my eyes and face. And he didn't pull it out right away.

"I mean it was in there for 5, 6 seconds and I felt like he was maliciously trying to hurt me. So when I finally got his hand out of my face mask and turned around, I gave him a little open-hand push to the face mask. I think that's all the referee saw, otherwise he might have reacted differently.

"So I don't know what's going to happen. It's unfortunate. I reacted trying to defend myself and just let him know that I didn't appreciate what he was doing. ... I think a lot of guys would've reacted the same way under the circumstances if someone was doing that to them."

According to review of game film, the Bengals player in question was offensive tackle Andre Whitworth. On second-and-2 from the St. Louis 24, Bengals running back Cedric Benson ran off left tackle for 15 yards.

Chamberlain was in the process of disengaging from a block by a Bengals receiver, when Whitworth's hand can be seen in Chamberlain's face. Chamberlain actually had his back to Whitworth for part of the play, trying to get away and pursue Benson downfield.

"It is what it is," Chamberlain said. "But it's unfortunate that I hurt the team with what happened. It's unfortunate what was seen and what wasn't seen."

Clemens again

Despite Sam Bradford's desire to continue playing with a high ankle sprain, it looks like Kellen Clemens will make his second consecutive start at quarterback Saturday. Bradford didn't practice Thursday — he hasn't practiced all week — and coach Steve Spagnuolo said it's unlikely Bradford will test the ankle during today's walk-through.

"Obviously, his status will be doubtful," Spagnuolo said. "Now, he might come in and grab me by the throat and threaten to play, but I don't think he'll do that."

Once again, Clemens worked with the starting offense Thursday in practice. A.J. Feeley (fractured thumb) didn't practice either, and is expected to miss Saturday's game as well. So the Rams would dress Clemens and Tom Brandstater at quarterback against the Steelers, as they did against Cincinnati.

No homecoming

Cornerback Justin King didn't practice Thursday and won't play Saturday against the Steelers. In fact, he's probably done for the year because of a shoulder injury suffered in practice earlier this month.

"I collided with one of my teammates," King said. "It kind of jerked my shoulder in a way that wasn't in my favor."

King, who is from Pittsburgh, had been looking forward to Saturday's game at Heinz Field like no other. And because of the scheduling rotation, the Rams aren't scheduled to be back in Pittsburgh for another regular-season game until 2019.

"It's a rough one, man," King said. "I actually circled this one on my calendar at the beginning of the year. I'm excited to go back home. But sometimes plans turn out different. I'm just dealing with it as it is, and trying to get this shoulder right."

Ram-blings

After missing practice Tuesday and Wednesday, cornerback Josh Gordy (abdomen) returned on a limited basis Thursday. "I know he's not 100 percent; he's kind of battling that thing," Spagnuolo said.

Spagnuolo said the team won't fill wide receiver Austin Pettis' spot on the 53-man roster this week. Pettis was suspended Wednesday for four games for violating NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances.