MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

No-huddle offense becoming an integral part of Rams' attack ..

BY JIM THOMAS Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:10 am

The NFL is the ultimate game-to-game sport. What happens one Sunday often has absolutely no bearing on what transpires the next.

Still, it was hard to come away from Sunday's 36-33 victory in Denver without wondering if it was a watershed game for Sam Bradford and the Rams' offense. Weeks from now, even years from now, will it be remembered as the breakout game for Bradford and the passing game? Or was it merely a rare high point for an offense that has many growing pains ahead?

Even after recording season highs for passing yards (308), touchdown passes (three), and passer rating (113.3), Bradford says there's plenty of room for improvement.

"I think there's a lot of things that we can do better in the pass game," Bradford said. "Hopefully, if anything, it will open up some lanes for 'Jack' (Steven Jackson). The past couple weeks, we've seen nothing but eight-man boxes teams really trying to stop Jack."

It attracted little notice at the time, but after a 3-and-out series to open the Denver game, the Rams went to a no-huddle on their second possession. They promptly marched 80 yards in 12 plays, facing only two third downs en route to a Michael Hoomanawanui TD catch of 36 yards.

That sparked the Rams to scores in five consecutive possessions. Interestingly, the no-huddle on the second series was part of the game plan, and not a game-day reaction to the early ebb-and-flow of the contest. Coach Steve Spagnuolo likes the no-huddle as a strategic change of pace.

"It's kind of a mixer for us," he said. "So we may use it again. We may not."

Bradford makes no secret of the fact that he enjoys running it.

"I'm just comfortable in it," Bradford said. "It's something I've done a lot of (in college), but I think it sometimes keeps the defense on their heels a little bit. When we go no-huddle, they can't huddle. They've got to do all their communication without being in the huddle, which just makes it a little bit tougher on them. I think everyone in this offense really likes it. When we go to our no-huddle offense, we have a good tempo with it and I just think it's something that we do really well."

The Rams have sprinkled in the no-huddle here and there. But using it on the road and using it so early in a game is an indication of the coaching staff's confidence in Bradford and his continued development as an NFL quarterback.

"We actually thought we were going to be doing that the entire game," left tackle Rodger Saffold said.

"As a receiver, you kind of feel like you keep the DBs on edge," Danny Amendola said. "You can always see that they're trying to hustle around and trying to get stuff figured out as you're lined up with the play in mind already. So it's nice."

Who knows if the Rams have some no-huddle planned this Sunday against Arizona? But there's no doubt the Cardinals will be facing a more capable Rams passing game and a more comfortable Bradford than they did in the season opener a 17-13 Arizona victory.

"He's improved dramatically from the first game to where he is now," Arizona safety Adrian Wilson said of Bradford. "The ball's coming out on time. He's not waiting for the routes to develop. He knows where he's going with the football right away.

"The first game was his first start it wasn't a preseason game. And he had a lot of stuff coming at him. We've seen on tape over these past few weeks or so, the ball is coming out on time. He's getting out of the pocket. Teams are blitzing him, but he's able to complete passes down the field even with the blitz coming in his face."

The entire Rams offense has matured to a degree since the opener against Arizona, although Jackson obviously has been a constant.

"A couple of the parts are different now," Bradford said. "We've had a couple guys go down with injuries. But I think just the fact that we've been able to play together now for 11, 12 weeks, that just helps a lot. We have much more chemistry now than we did in Week 1, so I think that's one of the main reasons that we've improved."

As each week unfolds, even with plenty of ups and downs, Bradford continues to put up numbers at a near-historic level for a rookie QB. With five games remaining, Bradford is on a pace to break Peyton Manning's NFL rookie records for completions and attempts, and finish a close second to Manning's rookie marks for passing yards and TD passes.

"He's on pace to do great things as he's been showing," Amendola said. "He doesn't show any sign of hesitation. Like I always say, he has a lot of leadership qualities. And we've really got his back."

For his part, Bradford says he doesn't peak at his statistics during the season.

"I try to stay away from all that," he said. "The bottom line is I'm here to help this football team win. If we're not winning, then I'm not doing my job. I think everyone around me my family, my friends they've known me for a long time and they know that's the way I feel."

That goes double maybe triple for Spagnuolo. When asked if he was aware that Bradford is putting together one of the best rookie years statistically in NFL history, Spagnuolo replied flatly: "No. And I think we'll just stick to (talking about) the Arizona game."

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Re: No-huddle offense becoming an integral part of Rams' attack ..

I'm starting to see us turning into the Colts.

MACD is offline Registered User

Do the Colts employ the no-huddle offense? I really don't know...after watching a couple of plays of Manning running in place I get bored.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    Yeah, OFFENSIVELY! But our run defense is better than theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Do the Colts employ the no-huddle offense? I really don't know...after watching a couple of plays of Manning running in place I get bored.
    OF course they do! THey do it a lot where have YOU been?! Manning usually runs it almost every drive they are going down the field successfully, and when they are trailing

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Only I see Bradford being better than Manning because of his mobility and ability to extend the play. As I've read about Manning this week, he's having issues because he's expecting to get hit, and it's affecting his accuracy because his line isn't keeping him clean in the pocket, even though he's not getting sacked. Sam, on the other hand, is more than comfortable escaping the pocket and throwing on the run.

It's scary, but I think I see Bradford becoming Manning/Brady in the pocket, and Aaron Rodgers on the run. Rush him any way you want, keep him in the pocket or rush him up the middle, blitz him or play coverage, he's going to make you pay!
    I believe!

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

With how well the no huddle has worked the last 2 weeks, I really hope they used it more and more. Bradford likes it a lot, and it seems to work well so why not?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    With how well the no huddle has worked the last 2 weeks, I really hope they used it more and more. Bradford likes it a lot, and it seems to work well so why not?
    You're absolutely correct! I'd love too see some more just too keep the defense on their heels.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I especially liked it when we had the versatility of Hoo Man on the field.

The defenses didn't know if we were gonna load up with power football or spread out and throw the pigskin all over them, and we were to quick for them to substitute players out anyways.

Hopefully Illini Mike can make it back for the playoffs!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Oh come on mate, Manning is the best QB of his era, granted one about to be pushed aside by the Bradford Era, but you still have to respect what he can do on a football field. I can't wait for the point when Sam is calling his own plays from an offense he knows better than the back of his hand.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Only Bradford's going to get more Super Bowl rings then Manning.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Get that Suggar Huggle going baby I LOVE it.