Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No matter how you slice it, the Rams are at -3 right now

The FA scoreboard thus far:

5 starters gone (Bruce, Wilkins, Chillar, J.Hall, Romberg)
    2 starters added (J.Brown, Bell)

That's a negative 3 total.

Even if you look deeper:

Bruce --> Bennett (even, at best)
    Wilkins --> J.Brown (even, maybe a slight upgrade given Wilkins' age)
    Chillar --> Draft (even - if Draft is better, why didn't he start last year?)
    J.Hall --> ??? (let's hope its C.Long or Gholston)
    Romberg --> ??? (who is going to play center?)
    Revolving door OG --> Bell (THE ONLY CLEAR UPGRADE)

Now, this is not to say that the Rams should have gone nuts in FA. I think that spending money like the Niners did last year or the Jets are doing this year is foolish, at best.

Still, at this point, its hard to see how we've gotten better overall. If anything, it seems like we're putting a heck of a lot of eggs in the draft basket. That could work, I suppose, if the Rams really hit on (at least) their first three picks.

However, at this point, I can't say that I'm not a bit worried.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: No matter how you slice it, the Rams are at -3 right now

Well we're all in the same boat with you Av. Ofcourse we're worried. If the first two (maybe 3) picks are great, then nothing to stress out about.

Remember, Daveney wants to wait for the street free agents. I believe that the Rams do have something planned. Maybe they'll consider a trade, keeping the first round within the top 5 picks and getting 2 second round picks. Let's hope for the best....

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is center, which just so happens to be an important position. Drew Bennett has A LOT to prove. I've heard people say he is better suited as a number 2 WR. Well, now is his chance to prove it. That being said, I think it's too early to start getting worried. It would be nice if we could add a little help on D though.
    :1:

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The FA scoreboard thus far:

5 starters gone (Bruce, Wilkins, Chillar, J.Hall, Romberg)
    2 starters added (J.Brown, Bell)
    Firstly, I think you need to give credit where credit's due. We re-signed atogwe, and we re-stuctured Little. Both were potential losses. Neither were, so I think simple mathematics is to oversimplfy the situation.

I can't say the loss of Bruce wasn't tragic. One of our most consistent players over the last decade.

I think Bell was a great signing.

Chillar, atm, is in a stae of flux. He's really neither here nor there, as it doesn't look like he's a definite to sign anywherre. He could well return, though I'm not counting on it. I like Billy Devaney, and I'm willing to trust his judgements regarding Culberson (I have liked what little I've seen of him) and Draft.

What I see with Hall is the theory of cutting our losses. Simply, he was expensive, and he was mediocre. In this situation, I think this is a move that benefits us. He wasn't the solution, so why not try to find someone that is, rather than keeping him on for another year of average play? Yes, this places pressure on a our draft class, but we're almost certain to be able to draft a player who projects to start within the first 2 rounds. There's no guarantee anybody we draft will be a superstar, but this might be as effective way as any to bridge the gap.

I can't see the harm in losing Romberg, either. I'd like to see him back, but both Incognito and Setterstrom have been centers in their respective careers, if I'm well versed in remembering what I've read. I do believe we drafted Cogs as a Center coming out of college, yes? My point is that at worst, we have one of those 2 slide over. At best, we sign Casey Weigmann (from the Cheifs? Spelling?), or we re-sign Romberg. There's not too much in the way of the draft as far as top flight centers go.

Josh Brown was, IMO, a huge move. Wilkins retired, so it's not like we could have retained him. What makes this move great is that he is a top flight, clutch kicker (and we can all vouch for that) who used to play for a divisional rival. Look at the 2006 season. Seattle's 2 wins came off the boot of Josh Brown. To steal that sort of a weapon away from a divisional rival is always a great move, especially when we don't have a kicker.

Still, at this point, its hard to see how we've gotten better overall. If anything, it seems like we're putting a heck of a lot of eggs in the draft basket. That could work, I suppose, if the Rams really hit on (at least) their first three picks.
    Yes, you're right. I still don't think we will end up worse than we did last year. I don't have to tell you about our injuroes last year. Hell, you could probably spin me in circles talking about the injuries of the past year. But getting healthier, I think, will be key in our ascent. Moreover, it's widely thought (and I'm fairly sure you subscribe to this theory) that the best way to build a team is through the draft. Yes, especially this season, we're putting our eggs in one basket. But I don't think that's a particularly bad thing. This is a poor free agent class, a lot of teams have a lot of holes, and that leads me to conclude that we surely won't be the only ones to have this sort of predicament. To find a few starters in the draft. Even New England will be looking for a corner, maybe a reciever. Bottom line, teams will lose players through free agency, and will look for immediate starters in the draft.

I guess I'm not as much worried, at this stage, as I am cautiously optimistic. To say we've gone backards in the offseason before it's complete doesn't sit well with me right now.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -03-11-2008 at 04:29 AM.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

The Rams picked up who they wanted out of the early rush for players at the start of free agency, namely Jacob Bell and Josh Brown. They could have rushed out and filled all of their holes, but would have overpaid for certain players.

There are still plenty of players available, plenty of time left to make trades and plenty of time for more people to be cut. And then on top of that we have the draft.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Still, at this point, its hard to see how we've gotten better overall. If anything, it seems like we're putting a heck of a lot of eggs in the draft basket.
    The draft IMO is the only way to go, you canít over pay for FA that just had a great year or older players. With the higher cap, more and more teams are retaining their best players; the best FAís arenít moving on as much, pickings are slim.

We have to draft better, we should get at minimum two starters this year and may add a third later in the draft. We drafted Ryan last year he could be a started this year, we also took Wade in the third. I would expect to see more of him in 08.

I guessing Iím in the minority when it comes to how good or bad we currently are. I felt we where an 8-8 team last year, but never got a chance to show it, due to injuries and poor coaching. Weíve added to the FO, coaching staff and will be healthy. Are we going to be projected to win the west, no but can we yes.

This draft will be a big step in the right direction for us. Vernon Gholston, just had his works out and was off the charts; Miami and the Jets had private works with him after. There is some big talent in the top 6 picks we will add some big time help in the draft.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-11-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I guessing Iím in the minority when it comes to how good or bad we currently are. I felt we where an 8-8 team last year, but never got a chance to show it, due to injuries and poor coaching. Weíve added to the FO, coaching staff and will be healthy. Are we going to be projected to win the west, no but can we yes.

I agree. I've been saying we were the best 3-13 team in the league. Even though the record was bad, I think last year's team was still better than any of the really bad teams we've had here in St. Louis. I don't think we're far from contention. We had such bad luck with injuries. I don't think we ever saw our true potential. Seattle is on the down swing and are never as good as advertised. SF and Arizona are perennial underachievers and should be weak again this year. Go Rams!
    :1:

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Romberg --> ??? (who is going to play center?)
    Has Romberg signed with another team, or is he still a free agent?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Has Romberg signed with another team, or is he still a free agent?
    As of a minute ago, Romberg is still reported as an UFA. Has Atogwe signed his offer from the Rams? I read where we offered a contract that would command a 1st round pick (about $1.85 million) if another team signs him. Is there more info?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I read where we offered a contract that would command a 1st round pick (about $1.85 million) if another team signs him. Is there more info?
    That's half right. Atogwe is a restricted free agent meaning he has one year left on his contract, but people can sign him away based on where we tender him. So as I understand it, he doesn't really get a choice as to whether he'll go along with it. Either he agrees to play for that amount for one year or he signs a long-term contract. He hasn't signed long-term if that's what you are asking.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

They will do good on the draft. they have to.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    That's half right. Atogwe is a restricted free agent meaning he has one year left on his contract, but people can sign him away based on where we tender him. So as I understand it, he doesn't really get a choice as to whether he'll go along with it. Either he agrees to play for that amount for one year or he signs a long-term contract. He hasn't signed long-term if that's what you are asking.
    Thanks GF for filling in the blanks for me. The FA contract nuances of the NFL leave me confused. :x

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Av, I don't play golf but I understand that -3 is a good thing?

I believe that is the "game" where one places a ball on a tee, hits it with a club, waits for it to stop moving so one can hit it again. A game of skill no doubt, but is it really a sporting event? I have no doubt that being athletic would be an asset, but to call it a sport? Hmmm.....

Or as John Hart expressed in his B.C. cartoon... The fewer times you hit the ball, the better you are. So why hit it at all?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

If we wanna play the numbers game, I think it's worse. I think that San Fran and Seattle have both been getting better than they were last year and we're worse. Add that all together and the numbers look far worse than -3.

Ramkeepr79 is offline Registered User

Don't forget, we made a HUGE upgrade at Offensive Coordinator. That should at least bring us up to a -2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-11-2008, 03:46 AM