Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: No-nonsense Cecil to coach Rams' secondary ..

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: No-nonsense Cecil to coach Rams' secondary ..

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I envy you. I wish I could just ignore facts taht ran counter to what I wanted.

Look, he's Fisher's boy, and I get that. Hopefully, he can improve the secondary.
    Like others have pointed out, he's not going to be the d-coordinator here.

xpmar9x is offline Registered User

He was a solid secondary coach for the Titans, but a terrible DC. Good luck.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Like others have pointed out, he's not going to be the d-coordinator here.
    But the same person in charge of the 29th pass defense will now be teaching our secondary how to NOT be the 29th pass defense.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm just not as sold on the guy. Yea, he was some kind of Rodney Harrison cheap shot artist, and he was some big tough guy in his day, but I'm not ready to equate that with an improved secondary.

Maybe it is; I certainly hope it is.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by xpmar9x View Post
    He was a solid secondary coach for the Titans, but a terrible DC. Good luck.
    That does help me to assuage my concerns. Thanks.

Time will tell.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

We could nit-pick every decision made this off-season. Some didn't like the Fisher hiring. Others don't like the DC, OC, or position coaches. We've seen coaches come and go over the past decade. Many had great success prior to arriving in STL. The facts/statistics that got them the jobs, did little to help our team move forward. Past success or failure is not always the best predictor of future outcomes. I'm not going to buy in to the argument that any of our coaching staff is inadequate at this point. they haven't even had a chance to meet with the players.

Geez guys, give the staff chance to do something with this team before you start raking them over the coal. I seem to remember a lot of talk prior to the 1999 season. Lots of talk about the inadequacy of our coaching staff. Not too many people would claim that staff was poor now. Could we have had some better position coaches? Maybe, but the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. It seems to me that some of us need an attitude adjustment just as badly as our team.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Sigh... (with credit to AV),

Quick - name last year's Rams' DB Coach.

(Thought not).

Let's stop with he MICRO analysis of every pick. The guy's an ex pro-bowler who played the position, with coaching experience. Jeez...
    laram0 and Fettmaster like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Agreed...

Just take a look at the likes of Cortland Finnegan for his influence as a coach.

Regardless of Finnegans ability which I believe is good, I can't understand that some were championing his trade to St Louis with a view to him following Fisher.

At the time Finnegan had his dust up with Andre Johnson, the commentators were saying that he is widely regarded as the leagues dirtiest player.

Hell I hear Lawrence Phillips has been working out hard, and is on contention for a return.......If we can bust him out of jail.

While were at it when is Daryl Henley due for parole?

Go figure..
    Totally off subject, but did you really just compare Cortland Finnegan to Lawrence Phillips? One of them has a reputation as a dirty player in a league filled with some of the meanest and toughest athletes around. The other guy TRIED TO KILL FOUR PEOPLE. SMH, I can't wait until we shed our "softy-cone-you-can't-play-here-unless-you're-nice" image.

Seems like Chuck Cecil might help us out with that.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -02-14-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

I think people are nit picking way too much. I think the hire is a good one. We need to stop being pushed around all the time. Greg Williams' defense finished 24th overall this past season. Does that mean hes a bad d-coordinator all of a sudden? No. You work with what you got.
    THOLTFAN81 and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Sigh... (with credit to AV),

Quick - name last year's Rams' DB Coach.

(Thought not).

Let's stop with he MICRO analysis of every pick. The guy's an ex pro-bowler who played the position, with coaching experience. Jeez...
    He is an big improvement over last years secondary coach. Mindset wise anyway. Who's name Ive completely forgotten. Was it Cromwell.? So you could at least say, were going in the right direction now. Im confident in that. Dome Patrol MK2 coming soon
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    He is an big improvement over last years secondary coach. Mindset wise anyway. Who's name Ive completely forgotten. Was it Cromwell.? So you could at least say, were going in the right direction now. Im confident in that. Dome Patrol MK2 coming soon
    Cromwell coached the receivers.

As VegasRam and rams4life pointed out, we're overanalyzing here. There is SO MUCH that goes into whether or not one is a coaching success- scheme, personnel, assistants, support staff and good fortune. Raw numbers sometimes but don't always paint a true picture.

Cecil's persona and performance as a player gives me hope he will instill that same tenacity in our guys. Labeling him as "a cheap shot artist" is simplistic and inaccurate. The guy was a good player for several years known for his hard hitting. Yes, he stepped over the line a time or two- as ANYONE known for their hard hits would be- but I hardly think he's gonna' be teaching our guys how to maim and cripple people.

I think Fisher is putting together a good staff. Let's hope they pay dividends sooner rather than later.

Labeling him as "a cheap shot artist" is simplistic and inaccurate.
    Actually, it's succinct and exact. He was notorious for lowering his helmet to make the hit from the top of his helmet. As the NFL told him back then, "See what you hit." He's lucky he's not paralyzed now.

Hopefully, that's not a technique he is now teaching our secondary.

Position coaches are there to teach technique. His was not good.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

After what we've been through for the past 10 years people are going to complain about being too tough? Please, I'll take a tough physical scary hard hitting defense that'll knock you're teeth out all day over a bunch of boy scouts on the field.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

To Jersey Ramsfan 1.

Totally and utterly agree. Like you say, its pointless trying to measure his abilities, because its was a completely different time and place. The mans resume, statistics from the past, its all kind of irrelevant to me. Within reason that is.? What can you do for me lately, is what truly counts. Cecils is a great fit for a Fisher defense, his persona being great for coaching, so their are no complaints from me whatsoever. A real MANS man I bet.?? The funny thing is I wasn't overanalyzing anything, until I started reading these threads. You start trying to justify yourself, for fear of attack or people nit picking.?

mh-i is offline Registered User

I'm as hopeful with this signing as I am with all of the other signings. If this guy can make an overly soft secondary tougher then I'm all for it. The entire team needs to get tougher as far as I'm concerned.
    Fettmaster likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, it's succinct and exact. He was notorious for lowering his helmet to make the hit from the top of his helmet. As the NFL told him back then, "See what you hit." He's lucky he's not paralyzed now.

Hopefully, that's not a technique he is now teaching our secondary.

Position coaches are there to teach technique. His was not good.

Y' know, hub - it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to label Deacon Jones as a cheap shot artist either.

Or Ronnie Lott, or Hacksaw Reynolds, or..., or..., or....

The technique you refer to is outlawed by the league, so the point's kinda' moot. And, as has been said, it's the attitude he will (hopefully) instill that matters. And you'll be cheering just as loud as everyone else when they actually replay a Rams' secondary hit.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast