Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: No-nonsense Cecil to coach Rams' secondary ..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: No-nonsense Cecil to coach Rams' secondary ..

Y' know, hub - it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to label Deacon Jones as a cheap shot artist either.

Or Ronnie Lott, or Hacksaw Reynolds, or..., or..., or....
    Why? Because they would tackle leading with the top of their helmet? Because I don't recall that part of their game.
    The technique you refer to is outlawed by the league, so the point's kinda' moot.
    It was outlawed BECAUSE of Chuck Cecil! It's far from a moot point. Is he going to bring a tough, physical aspect to the secondary? Fine!

Or is he going to bring a do-whatever-it-takes-rules-be-damned approach? Not fine.

I have no desire to be the Raiders!

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I seriously doubt anyone has to worry about Chuck Cecil coaching the secondary to use illegal and dangerous techniques because that's how he played sometimes twenty years ago.

Its like you really beleive Chuck Cecil is going to walk up to Ron Bartel with his mouth foaming telling him "GRRR keep your head down and stick 'em with your helmet!" You're being unreasonable.

Cecil coached the Titans secondary before, and was their D coordinator for a little while, as you may know. Did you ever hear anything about Titans players using illegal techniques? Were their players constantly getting fined for illegal hits? I think it was the Steelers who had that problem.

There's a difference between aggressive and against the rules. I think its all right to trust an experienced NFL coach to know that.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -02-14-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Why? Because they would tackle leading with the top of their helmet? Because I don't recall that part of their game. It was outlawed BECAUSE of Chuck Cecil! It's far from a moot point. Is he going to bring a tough, physical aspect to the secondary? Fine!

Or is he going to bring a do-whatever-it-takes-rules-be-damned approach? Not fine.

I have no desire to be the Raiders!
    Being married, I have long since lost the desire, (which I never really had), to get the last word in, so this is my last post on the subject. (For some reason, I got a bug up my arse over this).

First, I do recall that part of their game, and I've got 25 years on you.

Second, hitting a defenseless receiver, stiil in the air, from behind, with your shoulder pad, just MIGHT qualify as a cheap shot, (as did ALL of Jones' head slaps).

Third, spearing was illegal before Cecil even got in the league. He walked on at Arizona weighing 145 lbs, so he HAD to hit harder.

Hub, the guys 47 flippin' yearsd old, and I don't know, but I suspect, you might mellower now than you were 15-20 years ago. Cool discussion.

Cheers.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Did you ever hear anything about Titans players using illegal techniques? Were their players constantly getting fined for illegal hits?
    You mean other than Cortland Finnegan, Albert Haynesworth, William Hayes, Dave Ball, Derrick Morgan, Jason Jones, Michael Griffin, Jason Babin, Jovan Haye, Vincent Fuller, and Chuck Cecil himself?

Yes, the Tennessee Titans defense, especially the Chuck Cecil led Titans D was HEAVILY fined. If that's the "tough guy" defense you want, then fine. As long as it's effective at keeping points off the board, I'm down.

But don't start complaining about penalties and the associated yardage given up by the Defense. Defensive penalties WILL increase this year. Mark my word. Yes, Chuck Cecil promotes that line of thinking. Just as Jim Schwartz before him (look at Detroit now!). And yes, Jeff Fisher, at the very least, doesn't discourage it.

I'm not saying I'm against it, as long as it keeps points off the board.........but don't think for one minute that "tough D" equates with "penalized D". They're not mutually exclusive, but they're certainly not mutually inclusive.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bcrox123 is offline Registered User

fischer is hiring all his old buddies from tennessee, i hope it doesnt bakc fire. they didnt set the world on fire there.

Johnblaze is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I envy you. I wish I could just ignore facts taht ran counter to what I wanted.

Look, he's Fisher's boy, and I get that. Hopefully, he can improve the secondary.
    sure seems like your tryin pretty hard to be negative, out of that whole article you focused on the one stat that you could be a negative Nancy about, did u miss the part that said 3 players from the secondary made the pro bowl in the same year while he was the db coach?he's not our dc he's our db coach huge difference!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The way I look at it is this, and I guess it'll be my turn to catch fire for being negative about this hire. I'm not negative, I'm being skeptical.

Gregg Williams, our new DC, loves the blitz. Maybe too much. And with the blitz, you live and you die by it. Sometimes you get to the QB and either hit him or otherwise disrupt his timing and things are good. Other times, you can get strafed by it because it leaves gaps downfield.

Cecil, our new DB coach, stresses hard hitting more than coverage skills, given the general abilities and attitude of the players that he brought up for the Titans, namely Finnegan. Blaze, you're new, so firstly welcome. Secondly, that 2008 pro bowl team indeed had three pro bowl defenders, but I don't think Haynesworth did a whole lot of DB work. Finnegan was one and then Chris Hope, in his first year off of the Steelers was the other. So he did at least coach two of them. How many other pro bowlers did he coach?

Further, and my real point, if you're going to be a heavy blitzing team, like we probably will be under Williams, you need a strong coverage secondary to be able to play a lot of man or to be able to at least play well enough zone to give the blitz time to get there. Given the propensity for hard hitting over coverage, I don't know how this will work out. It's the same point that I have about Finnegan. He's more of a hard hitter than he is a coverage cornerback. He played very well this year staying near the line of scrimmage in a cover two shell. If we're going to bring him in and dump a good coverage guy like Bartell, I really hope that we get some good blitzes, because I don't trust physicality to cover downfield for long.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnblaze View Post
    did u miss the part that said 3 players from the secondary made the pro bowl in the same year while he was the db coach?
    But those players weren't nice about it, dammit!
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnblaze
    sure seems like your tryin pretty hard to be negative
    Not at all. Skeptical, yes. Negative, no. I very much hope that our defense, and relevant here, our secondary under Cecil is the the best in the NFL. Improved, at the least. But I'm not going to gulp kool-aid simply because we're in the honeymoon stage with the new administration. I wish I could; it would be so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnblaze
    did u miss the part that said 3 players from the secondary made the pro bowl in the same year while he was the db coach?
    No, I certainly did not miss it. I'll ask you: What year was that? And who were those players?

Michael Griffin in 2010
    Chris Hope & Finnegan in 2008

Your interpretation of the article is wrong, my friend. Not only were there not 3 pro bowl DBs in a single year under Cecil, but there have only been 3 pro bowl DBs in the entire decade that Cecil was in Nashville. The article said 3 players, not 3 DBs. He's referring to Hope, Finnegan, and Albert Haynesworth. I don't think Cecil, as Secondary Coach, had much to do with Albert Haynesworth.

Once again, as much as anyone, I want this team to succeed. And that includes all the new coaches. But I can not ignore facts, and keep my eyes closed to baggage that may be coming with one of the new hires.

And I certainly refuse to rely upon faulty interpretation of a news reports.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    But those players weren't nice about it, dammit!
    Okay. Go ahead, Fett. Name the 3 Titans DBs that made the pro bowl in the same season under Cecil.

I'll wait.

Okay. While you wait, think about the last time we had any DB make the pro bowl, let alone two.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Okay. While you wait, think about the last time we had any DB make the pro bowl, let alone two.
    So now that you understand and admit the assertion that 3 Cecil-led DBs made the same pro bowl (nice or otherwise) is, in fact, false, we can move on.

Are you now asserting that Chuck Cecil will create Pro Bowl DBs here? Because if so, personally, I hope you're right.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I don't see this guy magically turning Bartell, Murphy, Fletcher or King into Pro Bowlers. They're just not that good to start out with. What he can do is thin the herd and try to get whoever statys to play a little tougher.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    I don't see this guy magically turning Bartell, Murphy, Fletcher or King into Pro Bowlers. They're just not that good to start out with. What he can do is thin the herd and try to get whoever statys to play a little tougher.
    Maybe......but then again, Finnegan was a nobody prior to 2008.

Sadly, I'm not holding out much hope for King. But the other 3 could take major strides forward.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

So, this hiring means the '4 pillars' concept is probably out the window? That worked well...didnt it? Some gritty individuals (on staff and roster) might be a good thing in the NFL.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast