Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

No Rams on TV: Team's sellout streak ends

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/21/2006

The home sellout streak is over for the Rams. For the first time since the franchise moved to St. Louis in 1995, a home game will not be televised locally.

The Rams did not reach NFL sellout requirements by noon Thursday, so Sunday’s final home game of the season against Washington will be blacked out to local fans, according to team officials. About 3,000 tickets remain for the contest, and neither the Rams nor Fox (Channel 2), which has the rights to televise the game, were willing to buy up the tickets.

Until Sunday, all 95 regular-season home games and all five home playoff games by the Rams had been televised locally.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: No Rams on TV: Team's sellout streak ends

Can't wait to hear Jackson's comments. It was a nice streak they had going, but surprized it lasted this long.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I'm surprised since there will be no more home games for 8 months that it didn't sell out...a sign of things to come?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I'm surprised since there will be no more home games for 8 months that it didn't sell out...a sign of things to come?
    You bite your tongue!

Hopefully (eventually) Linehan and the gang will get them to want to come to the home games, it is somewhat of a meaningless game, although its the last game...I guess there's better things to do like last minute Christmas shopping lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Meaning less? Never!

This is the first step in the 9 point program for the Rams to reach the playoffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Just another reason that fans that live in St. Louis are the worst in the NFL. Arrogant, ignorant, fans at that.
    RamsFan16

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

More on this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

"ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The Rams' string of 95 consecutive regular-season sellouts may be about to end, and even if the remaining 3,000 seats for the home finale against the Washington Redskins sell, the game will be blacked out on local television.

A blackout hasn't happened since the Rams moved to Missouri in 1995. The game was less than a stellar draw; it comes at the end of another disappointing season, against a weak opponent, on Christmas Eve.

The Rams (6-8) are extreme longshots to make the playoffs and the Redskins (5-9) are out of the running.

"We think the St. Louis fans are great fans, and they've been very supportive of us up until now," team vice president Bob Wallace said. "We're hoping we can start a new streak next year."

The deadline to sell all the tickets was noon (EST). The Rams have kept the run going a handful of times in the past by buying up remaining tickets, but this time decided against it.

Running back Steven Jackson was highly critical two weeks ago of season-ticket holders who sold their seats to visiting fans. The Rams had to go to a silent count on offense against the Bears and Chiefs after fans of their closest rivals scooped up prime locations and made themselves heard.

On Friday, his criticism was more muted.

"It's kind of disappointing to hear that," Jackson said. "You want your fans to be in tune, and if they can't make the game to watch it on television.

"With that being said and it being blacked, hopefully our fans can make their way down on Sunday to watch us live."

Coach Scott Linehan said he understands the decrease in fan interest is a byproduct of the team's record.

"Maybe people could still rally and show up for the game and cheer us on, but that's out of our control at this point," Linehan said. "We're just focused on the players and coaches and fans that are there."

Season ticket holders with personal seat licenses occupy all but about 5,000 of the 60,000 seats at the Edward Jones Dome -- most of them in the upper regions. Wallace said the season-ticket base renewal base has been "spectacular," at over 95 percent.

The Rams were 6-10 last year and Wallace said the team knew before the year began, even with the hiring of a new coach and other changes, that some games would be tough to sell. The Redskins game was at the top of the list.

"There wasn't a lot of movement on this game," Wallace said. "We could have told you at the beginning of the season that the Bears game was going to be sold out and that the Chiefs game was going to be sold out, like we could have told you that this one at the beginning of the year was going to be a struggle."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I have been to a game on Christmas eve before and I really enjoyed it. I think it even snowed a little that day.

I hope the Rams fans find their way to the dome to watch the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Just another reason that fans that live in St. Louis are the worst in the NFL. Arrogant, ignorant, fans at that.
    What kind of post is that? You accuse St. Louis fans of being arrogant and ignorant, but those two words would best describe your post.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

No, the ones who would rather sit at home and watch a team play when they have season tickets rather to go the game. I have 100% respect for those who go to the games, but if you can and don't, its another story!
    RamsFan16

blood85 is offline Registered User

Hey, way to "support our team" STL fans...

blood85 is offline Registered User

And no, I don't want to hear how , "STL is a Baseball town", because the reality is, football is the New, "Americas Game".

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Hey, way to "support our team" STL fans...
    this is exactly what we were talking about last weekend after the bears defeat.. just flat out pathetic if you ask me STL fans...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the proof is in the pudding my friends that STL doesnt deserve this team

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Nice generalization there. :x

Just because people don't want to buy tickets that doesn't make them arrogant or ignorant. It's their choice what they buy and what they don't buy.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast