RamWraith is offline Registered User

No sellout means no local TV for Rams preseason opener

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/10/2006

The Rams' preseason opener Thursday night against the Indianapolis Colts at the Edward Jones Dome will be beamed across the country by Fox. Not here, though.

Because the game was not sold out by 7 p.m. Wednesday, it will be blacked out locally. The team was given a 48-hour extension from the usual 72-hour deadline, but several thousand tickets remained unsold.

The game, which begins at 7, will be available on local radio stations KTRS (550 AM) and KLOU (103.3 FM).

A handful of preseason games have failed to sell out since the team moved here from Los Angeles in 1995. About 2,000 seats remain for the other home exhibition contest, Aug. 19 vs. the Houston Texans, and tickets director Michael Naughton said he anticipated a sellout.

No regular-season Rams games have been blacked out in St. Louis, and Naughton said, "That's what we're hoping for again" in 2006. Still, he conceded that ticket sales have been "a little slower that normal."

Some 58,000 season tickets have been purchased, about 1,500 fewer than last year.

The storms and subsequent power outages that stuck the area recently are at least partly to blame for the lag in sales, Naughton said. Last year's 6-10 finish didn't help, either.

First-year head coach Scott Linehan said winning the fans back is part of the challenge he faces. "It's our job to put a great product on the field," he said. "The bottom line is, when you play well and start doing some pretty fun things out there, they will come, as they say."

Two regular-season games already are sellouts: Nov. 5 vs. Kansas City and Dec. 11 vs. Chicago. About 1,200 tickets are available for the opener, Sept. 10 vs. Denver. "I think that one will go pretty quick," Naughton said.

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

Re: No sellout means no local TV for Rams preseason opener

But will i still be able to watch it in Trimble Tennessee.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

My plan to watch the game from my favorite chair just flew out the window.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

That really is hard to take I remember years past where they did the same thing in L.A. so I just went to the games as a season T holder for years , I did however like to watch on TV so i could get the replay of the play and the batteries on the potable always ran down so Yes at I liked watch on TV from time to time ... Now days with DirectTv and HD it even better ... But with that said their is nothing like watching our team LIVE !!!

Yoda is offline Registered User

Well, I'll be able to watch it. And then, I won't get any of the other game live, but I have the NFL Network, so I will be able to watch when they show the re-runs.

STL Football Fan is offline Registered User

This stinks! The NFL neeed to relax their rules a little for pre-season blackouts. I can understand the need for a complete sellout for a regular season game, but a pre-season game...C'mon NFL!

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Its pre season who really cares if it sells out you know? Even in the regualar season I dont like it but in the preseason? LAME!!!!!!
    LET'S GO DODGERS

bigredman is offline Registered User

While I agree that preseason shouldn't be subjected to the regular season rules for sell outs, the NFL is all about money, money, money. Hopefully, the Rams will be able to show off some new stuff and be successful with it during the preseason to get those ticket sales up. (So long as they don't sell completely out and I can get my tickets at face value instead of going through a ticket agency)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MadForPlaid is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    Well, I'll be able to watch it. And then, I won't get any of the other game live, but I have the NFL Network, so I will be able to watch when they show the re-runs.
    Don't the St. Louis local stations get to show it in tape-delay a few hours later in the evening?

In San Diego, the game is shown hours later if the preseason game doesn't sellout - like this weekend.

rams2061 Guest

I would think preseason would not matter. That's messed up. We got the game here in El Paso.