Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: No Slowing Amendola Now That He's Healthy

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

No Slowing Amendola Now That He's Healthy

No slowing Amendola now that he's healthy

BY DAN O'NEILL
    August 17, 2012

Isaac Newton's first law of physics says a body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Danny Amendola offers corroborating evidence.

The Rams receiver is, if nothing else, a body in motion, a veritable fruit fly on a football field. But after establishing his energetic presence with the Rams in 2010, the Texas Tech product was acted upon by an outside force. During the 2011 season-opening loss to the Eagles, Amendola suffered an injury that materialized as a dislocated left elbow. The body in motion came to rest for the remaining 15 games of the season.

For Amendola, it was cruel and unusual punishment, like closing the gate on a thoroughbred as the rest of the horses galloped down the track. Sunday, almost a year later, Amendola played two series and caught one pass for 6 yards in an exhibition loss at Indianapolis.

The performance was short on action but long on symbolic value. The body is back in motion.

"It had been a while since I had been out there competing," Amendola, 26, said. "It was good to get back out there, good to get tackled, good to hit someone again. ... It was fun."

If you know anything about Amendola, you know he thrives on the three C's — contact, competition and camaraderie. Injuries and idleness were not on his bucket list.

The elbow problem, which he aggravated by trying to practice, "was kind of a freak injury and there's nothing I could do about it," Amendola said. "I understand injuries are part of the game and things like that happen, but ...

"I'm good now. It was a bad injury but it's not anything that lingers or is threatening. I'm 100 percent."

Amendola is probably the only receiver in Rams camp who has his ticket punched. Perhaps generously listed at 5 feet 11, 188 pounds, the Mighty Mite emerged as a go-to guy for rookie quarterback Sam Bradford in 2010. Amendola caught 85 passes for 689 yards and three touchdowns, and 29 of those receptions came on third downs.

He also is important to the Rams' special teams, an Allstate kick returner whose good hands were sorely missed. Amendola led the NFL in combined kick and punt return attempts in 2009 and 2010. And while Martha White is the one all-purpose flour, Amendola is the one all-purpose receiver. His 2,364 all-purpose yards led the league in 2010.

Like his fellow campers, the perpetual motion pass catcher is learning the language and schemes of new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. It shouldn't be too difficult for Amendola to forget what he learned from the departed Josh McDaniels' program — he hardly had a chance to use it. Regardless, nimble No. 16 likes the makeover.

"It's a tough offense to get," Amendola said. "I mean, it's intricate in terms of the stuff, but we're really grinding it out, getting better every day. You can tell we're making strides. I love the offense, love everything about it, love the coaches and everything is going really well."

The next step, of course, is to put the new software into practice. Amendola is eager for the season opener Sept. 9 at Detroit. Then again, Amendola is a body in motion. He's just plain eager.

"I'm ready to go," Amendola said, as the Rams prepared to meet the Chiefs tonight at the Edward Jones Dome. "I mean, I'm ready for the next preseason game, too. I'm just ready to get back out there and get back into the swing of things."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: No Slowing Amendola Now That He's Healthy

There was definitely no slowing him down against the Chiefs. That was an amazing grab for the TD. It was the kind of throw(even if it was weak) that I've been waiting for Sam to make for 2 years. That endzone fade is key and is the one part where I feel Sam has failed so far for the Rams. If he and Amendola can make that with regularity, we'll take the league by storm.
    live4ramin likes this.
    I believe!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This guy is simply amazing. Great hands, great routes, great adjustments, can do almost anything, and is money in the clutch. To think some people were actually writing him off this year.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

It's great to see him back and making those amazing catches.

Who was writing him off? That's just funny.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well, as good as he is, we're going to need others to step up at the WR position. If he is Sam's only viable weapon it will be too easy for teams to take away the advantage.