Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: No surprise: Rams blowing chance to land top coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Seems like a bit of a stretch. If anything it's favoritism for the San Francisco organization, which has now coached a Senior Bowl team for three years in a row. There are five teams with worse records than the ***** this year that got passed over, and eight teams last year with worse records who were passed over for the Niners. That seems more logical of a conclusion to draw, but even that is probably unlikely. It would be entirely unprofessional of the NFL to play favorites with who got to coach this game. But regardless, the NFL needs to give another organization the opportunity.
    Is there solid criteria for determining who should coach the Senior Bowl, or is it up to the whim of the NFL? If the duties fall to the worst teams in the AFC and NFC respectively, it should be the Rams and Miami. In Miami's case Parcells might have to fill in though.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Is there solid criteria for determining who should coach the Senior Bowl, or is it up to the whim of the NFL? If the duties fall to the worst teams in the AFC and NFC respectively, it should be the Rams and Miami. In Miami's case Parcells might have to fill in though.
    The general rule is that the teams with the two worst records coach the game, but the NFL has authority (apparently) to overrule that and pick whoever they want. The fact that they skipped over the Rams and went to- what would seem on the outside to be a franchise that is just as inept- doesn't bode well for what the NFL thinks of the Rams coaching staff. If the ***** didn't replace any of their staff, I could see that as being a reason, but they did and very recently.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    According to the Senior Bowl website, the NFL office selects coaching staffs for the contest each year. Not sure if there's specific criteria hey have to abide by. Typically it's the coaching staff from the two worst teams that are given the chance, but I'm not sure there's any requirement that says that has to be the case. If there isn't, that makes them choosing the ***** three years in a row even more fishy to me because of all the worse teams that have been passed over to give San Fran a second and third chance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

According to the Senior Bowl website, the NFL office selects coaching staffs for the contest each year. Not sure if there's specific criteria hey have to abide by. Typically it's the coaching staff from the two worst teams that are given the chance, but I'm not sure there's any requirement that says that has to be the case. If there isn't, that makes them choosing the ***** three years in a row even more fishy to me because of all the worse teams that have been passed over to give San Fran a second and third chance.
    Now there's something for Goddell to investigate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Now there's something for Goddell to investigate!!!
    Isn't it the worst team from each conference? I thought the Whiners were the worst team in the NFC the previous two seasons, but I could be wrong.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Isn't it the worst team from each conference? I thought the Whiners were the worst team in the NFC the previous two seasons, but I could be wrong.
    Rams and Falcons were both worse this year. Detroit, Tampa, Arizona, Washington, and Minnesota were all worse the year before. New Orleans was worse than San Fran in 2005. Green Bay had just as bad a record as San Fran that year as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rams and Falcons were both worse this year. Detroit, Tampa, Arizona, Washington, and Minnesota were all worse the year before. New Orleans was worse than San Fran in 2005. Green Bay had just as bad a record as San Fran that year as well.

Well, as far as teams turning down the opportunity in previous years, I can't say. But the Falcons right now don't have a coaching staff. Maybe someone should email the NFL and see if they can get an answer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-09-2008, 12:12 PM