RamWraith is offline Registered User

No takers for Timmerman / Butler absent

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/04/2007

When offensive guard Adam Timmerman was released by the Rams five weeks ago, neither he nor his agent figured he'd be on the market very long. But with the bulk of the free-agent spending completed throughout the NFL and most teams now concentrating on the draft, Timmerman is still looking for a job.

"I'm shocked that he hasn't signed yet," said Mark Bartelstein, Timmerman's agent. "I think teams were concerned that he was healthy. He's healthy as can be. He feels great. And someone's going to get an All-Pro-caliber guard."

Timmerman, 35, saw his string of 204 consecutive regular-season and postseason games end late last season because of cracked ribs. He played only one snap in the Rams' last three games of 2006. But Timmerman played noticeably better in '06 than he did the previous season, when multiple injuries and operations resulted in no offseason preparation and a subpar '05 campaign.

Timmerman was released Feb. 26, with coach Scott Linehan saying the Rams were going with a youth movement on the offensive line, which included Richie Incognito taking over at Timmerman's right guard spot.

During the free agency period, Timmerman has made only one trip to Detroit, where former Rams head coach Mike Martz is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Not long after Timmerman's visit, the Lions signed two veteran guards who also were released this offseason: Baltimore's Ed Mulitalo and Tennessee's Zach Piller.

In a free-agent market that already included headliners such as Eric Steinbach and Kris Dielman, the release of veteran guards Mulitalo, Piller and Tutan Reyes of Buffalo probably hurt Timmerman's marketability.

"There's no question the market got flooded a little bit," Bartelstein said. "That happens. But some team is going to get a heck of a guard."

Bartelstein said he's still talking with five teams about Timmerman: Atlanta, the New York Giants, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington. It's just a matter of finding the right fit, at the right price.

Butler stays away

Three weeks into the Rams' offseason conditioning program, cornerback Jerametrius Butler remains conspicuous by his absence at Rams Park. But rumors to the contrary, Butler has not asked to be traded, according to his agent.

"A trade has not been requested," said Butler's agent, Robert Fayne.

Nonetheless, there has been speculation that Washington is interested in trading for Butler. The Redskins gave Butler a six-year, $15.04 million offer sheet as a restricted free agent before the 2004 season. The Rams opted to match that offer, keeping Butler in St. Louis.

Fayne insists Butler is not upset with the Rams, even though Butler plummeted down the depth chart last season after the addition of free agent Fakhir Brown and first-round draft pick Tye Hill. So why hasn't Butler shown up for the offseason program, which started March 19?

"He's working out diligently twice a day in Dallas to prepare for the 2007 season," Fayne said. "I expect him to be with the Rams in '07."

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: No takers for Timmerman / Butler absent

We got an offer for Butler?

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

They should trade his sorry butt...hmm I wonder if the Skins have a decent back up running back we could take off their hands for him?

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

They have like, 8.

Drew is offline Registered User

surprised the raiders havent come in for timmerman they really need to sort out their O-LINE and badly need an influx of players with leadership skills to get them out of their own dark hole,but then again al davis is in charge so maybe it dont surprise me after all!

as for butler...i just dont see his future here anymore, he was good before his injury problems but hes fallen so far,i just cant see him making the team and cant see him getting any higher than 4th choice cb at the most,hes a fair way behind brown,hill,bartell and who knows maybe walls and rumph now!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am the biggest timmerman fan around, but he is NOT an "all pro caliber guard" at this point of his career. I wonder how much money he is asking.

My bet is that he ultimately signs for close to the vet minimum. Its going to be very very tough for him to find a job as a starter.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

"I'm shocked that he hasn't signed yet," said Mark Bartelstein, Timmerman's agent. "I think teams were concerned that he was healthy. He's healthy as can be. He feels great. And someone's going to get an All-Pro-caliber guard."
    An All-Pro-caliber guard? Right now? His agent is either delusional or very, very good. And considering Timmerman hasn't been signed yet, I think it's the former rather than the latter.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Fayne insists Butler is not upset with the Rams, even though Butler plummeted down the depth chart last season after the addition of free agent Fakhir Brown and first-round draft pick Tye Hill.
    The spin machine is in full swing.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    We got an offer for Butler?
    Back in '04 when he was a RFA, there was an offer on the table which the Rams matched. At this point, I don't know that a team would give up much more than a 7th pick, if that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    An All-Pro-caliber guard? Right now? His agent is either delusional or very, very good. And considering Timmerman hasn't been signed yet, I think it's the former rather than the latter.
    It's an agent really putting a spin on how good his client is and trying to get the best deal possible.It clearly isn't working with the lack of interest,so soon he will have to change tact and agree a deal closer to his abilities as they are at present..

keith m. klink Guest

Timmerman will sign with the detroit rams before the season starts , someone will get hurt , and martz will pick him up . butler on the other hand , i'll take a 7th round and a backup rb , heck , i'll take the 7th rounder , and draft my own backup rb . cut the cord mommy. and terrell is just a huge , and i mean HUGE waste of time and effort. his agent is a liar and a bum. no conditioning , never had surgery , but now is fine , and now has issues with the family for 3 weeks , and will make it to spring training just before preseason . boulderdash i say. cut them , cut them all .

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Man, I could care less about Terrell, but Butler not being in camp irritates me like no other. If this guy could get back into shape, and play at the level he did a few years ago, we would have a very impressive core group of cornerbacks.

I just don't understand where the lack of motivation comes from when you are given another chance after being buried.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

During the free agency period, Timmerman has made only one trip to Detroit, where former Rams head coach Mike Martz is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Not long after Timmerman's visit, the Lions signed two veteran guards who also were released this offseason: Baltimore's Ed Mulitalo and Tennessee's Zach Piller.
    Most telling part of the entire issue right there. If the RAMS NORTH dont want him...nobody does. "All Pro caliber guard"?? No thanks, no Kool Aid for me Mr. Jones.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

This may sound cruel but I'm happy that Adam isn't signed yet. It leaves that tiny door open for him to make a return to this team and be in a Rams uniform where he belongs. Then again this is coming from someone who is quite biased about the Rams cutting him in the first place.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    This may sound cruel but I'm happy that Adam isn't signed yet. It leaves that tiny door open for him to make a return to this team and be in a Rams uniform where he belongs. Then again this is coming from someone who is quite biased about the Rams cutting him in the first place.
    Dr. i feel the same way,most likely won't happen but nice thought.