Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Not all that excited

I guess this whole Glover thing does not have me all that excited. We are looking at a guy that is 31 and his play has been on the decline the last 3 years. I think he made the pro-bowl more on name alone and more for the lack of talent available at the position in the NFC. Pickett was much more effective this season than Glover. I hope I am wrong, but I got a feeling this guy will probably be in sick bay half the year. I guess I am not all that excited.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Not all that excited

I think they are looking for a leader and a mentor as well as a play maker. Not just a good DT

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

He is still a Great DT and has a good 3 years left. Thats why it wasn't a 5 year deal like Coakley last year. And also a Pro Bowl DT maybe we can have a DT go to the Pro Bowl next year
    RamsFan16

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hope you guys are right. But by history tackles don't normally last past 30. They are beat down pretty well in the trenches by then, especially full time starters.

That's another thing...can we really expect this guy to take 75-80% of the snaps at that position. I want Pickett, this is the only way I think this is a good signing.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I look at the Glover signing the way a lot of people look at the concept of 1,000,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean...

Its a good start.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Like the Glover signing. Has a good track record of being a dominant player (Longer than one season). Been healthy throughout by the look of him and sounded pretty switched on in his interview.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Hope you guys are right. But by history tackles don't normally last past 30. They are beat down pretty well in the trenches by then, especially full time starters.

That's another thing...can we really expect this guy to take 75-80% of the snaps at that position. I want Pickett, this is the only way I think this is a good signing.
    Wraith, you've hit on an idea that I've been thinking about. This signing DOES NOT diminish the need to re-sign Pickett. Glover is not Pickett's replacement. Glover is D-Lew's replacement.

One reason Dallas cut Glover is because of the switch to 3-4. Glover is not a space eater in the middle like Pickett. He's an interior pass rusher. Glover is not a 3-4 DT, he's a 4-3 backside DT......like Lewis, not like Pickett.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

"RW" I had some of the same feeling at 1st , But "AR" and "BISON" have a good point Lets watch and see ????

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I can understand your lack of excitement.

Reminds me of last season's LB signings.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think that's a fair statement, though the optimist in me hopes for better things from Glover.

To the extent that we were looking for a "playmaker"/"impact player" signing, I don't think Glover is it. Hopefully, that signing will come, and Glover will be a solid addition.

Yeah, it's not a bad signing.

Solid depth if nothing else.

Just nothing to get overly excited about.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Why can't Kennedy be Pickett's replacement? Glover already said that he was looking foward to mentoring a young D-line, I think he ment Kennedy when he said that. Plus he was in for about half the snaps for Dallas last year so I figure he is a little rested and is ready to tear it up this year.

At this point the Rams need an anchor rather than a mentor on the DL.

Let the coaches do the mentoring. That's what they are for.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    At this point the Rams need an anchor rather than a mentor on the DL.

Let the coaches do the mentoring. That's what they are for.

No one can argue that coaches are there to mentor, but it certainly never hurts to have a Pro bowl caliber player who has played in Haslett's system, buys into it totally and played extremely well within it. When a veteran has played in a particular system with great success (as in made the Pro Bowl) and greatly respects the coach who devised it, that is mentoring from another sector apart form what a coach can provide.

I really like the acquisition. In my mind LaRoi is a huge upgrade from D-Lew. Another thing to consider is that Haslett is counting heavily on LaRoi to set an example in the locker room, in practice, and most importantly during games. Glover is not a guy known for taking plays off. He is a proud man who keeps himself in great shape. Last year Bill Parcells brought in one of his guys to supplant Glover in the 3-4 defense for which Glover was thought not to be suited well for -- Glover beat him out. I could be wrong about his impact, but if I had to bet on it, I wouldn't bet against LaRoi...

:football:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Yeah, it's not a bad signing.

Solid depth if nothing else.

Just nothing to get overly excited about.

Agreed. I think we have to view this as an upgrade for D-Lew, nothing more. If we're viewing this as either the replacement of, or an upgrade over, Pickett, I believe we're mistaken.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast