Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Not all that excited

This would have been an awsome signing if we just drafted Lewis and Pickett last year. Where was there teacher/mentor then?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Whatís exciting is we are going to be playing some 3-4 in passing downs and Glover brings experience paying both the 3-4 and 4-3, he has some juice left in the tanks. I donít see him as an every down player that being said we still need to sign Pickett. Glover could help to take Pickett to the next level as a mentor. D Lewis is done here; Kennedy still may raise heís level play. If Glover can provide a pass rush up the middle, Little should have a field day. Lets face it we have not exactly disrupted the pocket with Pickett and D-Lewis.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    No one can argue that coaches are there to mentor, but it certainly never hurts to have a Pro bowl caliber player who has played in Haslett's system, buys into it totally and played extremely well within it. When a veteran has played in a particular system with great success (as in made the Pro Bowl) and greatly respects the coach who devised it, that is mentoring from another sector apart form what a coach can provide.
    I said, the Rams need an anchor at this point rather than a mentor. Nothing mentioned about what defines any type of mentor.

If he can be both then great.

Personally, I think being a playmaker is more important and what the DL needs at this point.

BTW - Glover has better numbers than Pickett the last five seasons. Plus Glover's first five seasons had more production than Picketts first five seasons.

Just a matter of what the guy has left.

If he can play at a high level then he can replace Pickett in the short term.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I guess this whole Glover thing does not have me all that excited. We are looking at a guy that is 31 and his play has been on the decline the last 3 years. I think he made the pro-bowl more on name alone and more for the lack of talent available at the position in the NFC. Pickett was much more effective this season than Glover. I hope I am wrong, but I got a feeling this guy will probably be in sick bay half the year. I guess I am not all that excited.
    I was thinking along the same lines as you. Most of us say, well Mike Vick only made the Pro Bowl on his name which is true. So we all moan about the Pro Bowl and it's just a popularity contest. But now we sign Glover who is older and basically made the Pro Bowl off of his name and it's great?

We will see how he does, and I hope those of us who aren't that excited are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

This would have been an awsome signing if we just drafted Lewis and Pickett last year. Where was there teacher/mentor then?
    Tyoka Jackson, Little, Wistrom.

Having mentors around does not necessarily induce a high level of play out of the younger players.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Agreed. I think we have to view this as an upgrade for D-Lew, nothing more. If we're viewing this as either the replacement of, or an upgrade over, Pickett, I believe we're mistaken.
    Agreed 100%.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Biggest Curtis Fan is offline Registered User

31 isn't really that old. Look at Isaac Bruce. He's 33 and he's still a top teir player. I think Glover is going to be the new anchor of the NEW Ram Defense.

Well he has as good, and in some areas better numbers than Pickett.

Surrounding cast? Perhaps.

If the guy can play at the same level then its more than an adequate replacement, it is an upgrade.

Just a matter of what he has left. Because of the unknown it's hard to be overly excited.

majorram is offline Registered User

All I see is that Glover brings a VET presence to the D line which has been missing and hes a solid addition..

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Although I'm not doing backflips over this signing, as an upgrade, I thinks it's a good one. This is only the first move in the "massive" re-tooling we've been hearing about. We're not going to fill every need with a major playmaker, but as long as we continue to make solid upgrades as a compliment to a few of those major playmakers, we're moving in the right direction.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

Having mentors around does not necessarily induce a high level of play out of the younger players.

Mentors like Marmie??

LOL LOL

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Not sure these guys are leaders per say...
    Jackson-Couldn't crack the starting line-up
    Little-Has way to many personal issues
    Wistrom-Was there a year before he was gone, and just got to the point of being a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    Mentors like Marmie??
    I believe you were speaking of players who were mentors to other players. So what in the hell does Marmie have to do with my examples of player mentors?

Not sure these guys are leaders per say...
    Jackson-Couldn't crack the starting line-up
    Little-Has way to many personal issues
    Wistrom-Was there a year before he was gone, and just got to the point of being a leader.
    Respectfully speaking, Jason, nothing mentioned about leaders. You pondered the question about mentors and I simply pondered the answer.

Certainly the guys I mentioned are well schooled with life in the NFL. They can teach or counsel young players about the ins-and-outs from the experience they have. Even Little with his problems can teach or counsel as to the ways one can get in trouble. That's mentoring on one level. Other levels would be practice, preperation, technique and execution. Certainly the guys I mentioned could be mentors in those aspects as well.

Geez sometimes it seems it is best not to comment on a post at all.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Has anyone heard what kind of money Glover is getting? Just curious on that before I make my judgement.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Nevermind my ? I just read it on the PD 3 years $12m with a $3.5m bonus. Not bad for us or him. The article made it sound like Pickett would not be resigned though. Why can't we just bring him back and have 2 good Dts for once?
    As long as the GOAT comes back though I am happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12