ramhard is offline Registered User

Not Emotional Reaction - But Martz Should Go

Please, this is not a flame. I actually like Mike Martz, and enjoy watching his teams, and I think he is a decent coach. But after thinking and looking at the data, and all the playoff games, I no longer think the Rams will be a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team with him as the head coach. I think they can be a good team - around .500 in a weak division and make the playoffs most years, but not a championship team.

The arguments for keeping Martz:

1. He has a great winning %. Well so does Marty S. in San Diego. The goal is to win championships. And before we place too much stake in the percentage, the Rams play in the weakest division, and weaker last year than this one. The data: The 2004 Rams had a 6-1 record against
    NFC West teams but were 3-8 outside the division. So much of that great record is having a decent team in a weak division. This year one of the wins came to a team that had already sewn up the playoffs.

2. He is an offensive genius I. Well he might be, but this does not mean he should be a head coach, and at times being a HC hurts his playcalling. As a OC he had someone superior to him to reign him in, to temper his crazy tendencies, to review his gameplan with the power to tell him no. As a HC he does not have that, and unlike most too conservative OC's he needs this. So as a HC it hurts his positives as an OC.

3. He is an offensive genius II. The second way being a OC/HC hurts him is that he gets so tied up in the offensive playcalling that his game management game decisions, personnel awareness (oh, you mean S. Jackson didn't play).

4. The players love him. Well the players love Mike Tice also, and I think Tice is the worse coach in the playoffs. Do the players love Bellichek - I doubt it, but they respect him and play for him, and yes fear him enough to always play hard and physical. For all that love, the Rams have too many games where they are flat (see Miami game for example), or just seem to give up against physical teams (see Atlanta and Buffalo).

5. He won a Superbowl as an OC, and got to one as a HC. In thinking about it, this is the one that is most often listed but is one of the weakest. Yes he won one as a COORDINATOR which is much different than being a head coach. Anyone remember how many great coordinators who won Superbowls were not great head coaches (anyone remember Buddy Ryan being carried off after the Chicago Superbowl? How many Superbowls did he win?). He got to one as a HC. Yes he did, and I don't think anyone can argue that he had dominating talent, and lost to a less talented team (ditto for the Carolina lost last year).

The reasons for going in another direction:

1. Martz has proven he can win with dominating talent he has not proven he can win with less than dominating talent (see New England, even the Eagles for examples). This would be okay if he has shown that he is such an astute talent evaluator that the Rams would consistently have more talent than other teams but that is not the case. So if the Rams will no longer be in the sweet spot of being able to 'out talent' people then a different type of coach is needed.

2. Big Problems I. A shift is needed as the weak division is masking huge problems. The data: The 2004 Rams lost eight games by an average of 18.2 points. This is not a few bounces of the ball, or a missed field goal, this is the Falcons getting 80 yards in the air and still crushing the Rams. The Rams are not a good team right now, they are a mediocre team playing in a weak division.

3. Big Problems II. I think the most damning indictment against Martz is the consistency of problems. The turnovers, horrible special teams, inability to stop the run, lack of physical play, chaotic game and clock management are problems the Rams have had for at least 3 years. If anything they are getting worse not better. A great coach does not allow them to fester (despite saying every week - we'll fix that). It is not a 'fix' it is instituting changes that prevent the problems from occurring again. And it is not just fixing them but making them a strength. Why is it that other teams use special teams as a weapon while the Rams, at best, hope they don't hurt. That is the difference between 'fixing' and changing.

4. Great show, not great team. The Rams are enjoyable to watch. I agree, and if that is enough then fine. But notice the teams left in the playoffs Falcons, Eagles, Steelers, Patriots. None of them are pretty, all of them are physical, solid, don't beat themselves, and get everything out of the talent they have. Note what they have overcome.. the Patriots were down to ONE starting DB, and had to sign and play 2 DB's who didn't even play this year and a WR against the guy who broke Marino's TD record, the Eagles lost their top offensive weapon, the Steelers start a rookie, lost their starting RB for much of the year. Only the Falcons have been relatively untouched. So the argument about injuries don't hold, great coaches have prepared players in the wings to take over. They can alter plans and coach the talent they have, no matter if it is depleted.

Now I don't mean this as a rant. I enjoy Martz, and am not saying he is a terrible coach. I just think he and the Rams will be nothing but mediocre going forward with him as a coach. Should the Rams go out and hire a poor coach - no, but a strong coach would be a better fit for the Rams and give them a better chance for a championship than Martz.

tanus is offline Registered User

Re: Not Emotional Reaction - But Martz Should Go

What dominating talent do we have? The only place we are dominant is at WR. Our first string QB is pretty damn good, but after that we have nothing, except for Smoker who is a prospect at this point.

Our talent is so dominating that we have the worst set of LB's in the league.

Maybe in 1999-2001 we had dominating talent, but we don't anymore. Why is it so hard for some of you to see this?

ramhard is offline Registered User

Misunderstood

I said in the Superbowl years we had dominating talent, but no more, that was the point! The Rams can not rely on dominating talent to win, and that is where Martz falls short. Plus you have to be sure not to confuse results with not having talent. Teams like New England get great production out of players like Bruschi who aren't considered 'talented'. It is how you use and get the most out of the talent you have. On the Eagles offense which of their skill positions would you trade for the Rams? Maybe McNabb...tick tick tick, is Westbrook more TALENTED than Jackson/Faulk nope, more productive yep, the wide receivers? a joke compared to the Rams. Tight end, a push.

tanus is offline Registered User

Westbrook creates mismatches all over the joint. For this season, Westbrook was a much better back than Faulk and Jackson. Obviously, back in the day, Faulk was the best back, but those days are gone. Jackson is a rookie and that showed many times this year. The offensive personnel is a wash though overall, I'll give you that.

The main difference is the defensive coordinator position. Marmie just gets blown out of the water.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Well has anyone took into consideration that these are the players Lovie brought in and that Marmie may need a big rebuild to run his D? I still don't believe in that little fast guys thing!It might have worked in Tampa ,but that was Tampa and a totally different set of players!I'm not so sure Marmie is the problem! :mask:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!