Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Not feeling it from Feeley

Did someone not just a while ago post a thread something like don't be afraid to hope?
    Well i'm not afraid to hope the Rams has made some good moves of coarse no one knows how many wins it will translate to. When the season open up i will be dreaming of something good as long as I can.

On Feeley I don't think the rams think he will be starting long any way he knows how the O works so he is working with Bradford to get him ready. As someone else said he knows what his place is.

:ramlogo:

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No one is "Rams bashing." If you can't separate logical and realistic criticism from mere bashing, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, right before suggesting that people who weren't optimistic about this team's chances should go root for someone else.

It's a simple result of looking at a situation objectively and drawing a conclusion. Sometimes those conclusions are negative. Sometimes they're positive. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking everything is gumdrops and lollipops just for the sake of being optimistic and cheery. I'm going to look at the information and arrive at as well formed an opinion as I can. If that opinion is a good one, great. But if it's not good, I'm not going to convince myself it's something it's not. I'll be cheering for them to go 16-0, but my assessment of the team says that's not going to happen, sorry.

When you tell people they should join another fan base because of their opinion, then you're going beyond just responding to the comments. The point in bringing up our past futility is to illustrate that someone is justified when they question why another person would think the Rams will have fans' jaws on the floor. It's a reasonable question, but it drew the ire from some posters for some reason.

And you can get a "Go Rams!" out of me any day of the week. Having negative opinions about aspects of your team doesn't mean you don't support them, don't cheer for them, or don't hope they prove you wrong. My perspective is that, if all anyone brought to this place was blind optimism or blind negativity, it'd be pretty boring and pretty shallow. Having logical opinions based on critical thought, which will be both positive and negative, make the discussions and interactions rewarding.
    What I said was "If you really believe this, "the Rams dont stand a chance " please don't be afraid and root for another team. How does it make you feal to post how crappy the Rams are and then put their jerseys on."

You said "It's a simple result of looking at a situation objectively and drawing a conclusion."

And thats exactly what I did. I looked at the posts(what people were saying) and drew a conclusion based on what they were saying. I simply want people to objectively look at what they are saying and draw a conclusion them selves. It was a simple computer program line from basic, (if x=y,then z) it's too easy.

Do you remember the post with the picture of the guy holding the sign that said "I believe we stink!" How did that make the poster feel? How did it make you feel?

Do you really believe that winning x games over y years means anything to a team that cleaned house? We should beat most of the teams we face based on that line of reasoning. The lions will never win a playoff game, ever, let alone win a superbowl, based on that. We can write off the browns as well. And that line of reasoning justifies why we won't do well next year?

You said, "I'm going to look at the information and arrive at as well formed an opinion as I can." I ask you what information is there? They have not even been to training camp yet. Not one pre season game has been played. OTA's are not played in pads with real hitting so there really is nothing to base a negative opinion on yet. The only one who knows is Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo. I havent heard him say "We hope to win 1 or 2 more games than last year.

You said, "Having negative opinions about aspects of your team doesn't mean you don't support them." Let me try this out. "The Rams stand no chance of winning a single game this year, WAY TO GO RAMS." Now didn't that look stupid. Lets try it again, "Playoffs, you wanna talk about Playoffs, I just hope we can win a game this year. I can't wait to get my season tickets." Looks just as bad to me.

Look, if I am wrong then tell me. Is this a web site for the ST Louis Rams Fans or not?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Stl Rams fans it is. Have your opinion,and let your thoughts fly. As old quint would say if he were still around ." The league gonna have a heart attack when they see's how many games the rams win!" Actually it was about the taxidermy guy and a shark but who cares?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Birdbrain is offline Registered User

O-line is a bigger concern.If they can't get healthy,it doesn't matter who is back there.I wouldn't mind them picking up another QB.I don't see Feeley lasting more than about 3 games.If he makes it to mid-season-great.Then put in Bradford once the line has had time to gel.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    What I said was "If you really believe this, "the Rams dont stand a chance " please don't be afraid and root for another team. How does it make you feal to post how crappy the Rams are and then put their jerseys on."

You said "It's a simple result of looking at a situation objectively and drawing a conclusion."

And thats exactly what I did. I looked at the posts(what people were saying) and drew a conclusion based on what they were saying. I simply want people to objectively look at what they are saying and draw a conclusion them selves. It was a simple computer program line from basic, (if x=y,then z) it's too easy.

Do you remember the post with the picture of the guy holding the sign that said "I believe we stink!" How did that make the poster feel? How did it make you feel?

Do you really believe that winning x games over y years means anything to a team that cleaned house? We should beat most of the teams we face based on that line of reasoning. The lions will never win a playoff game, ever, let alone win a superbowl, based on that. We can write off the browns as well. And that line of reasoning justifies why we won't do well next year?

You said, "I'm going to look at the information and arrive at as well formed an opinion as I can." I ask you what information is there? They have not even been to training camp yet. Not one pre season game has been played. OTA's are not played in pads with real hitting so there really is nothing to base a negative opinion on yet. The only one who knows is Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo. I havent heard him say "We hope to win 1 or 2 more games than last year.

You said, "Having negative opinions about aspects of your team doesn't mean you don't support them." Let me try this out. "The Rams stand no chance of winning a single game this year, WAY TO GO RAMS." Now didn't that look stupid. Lets try it again, "Playoffs, you wanna talk about Playoffs, I just hope we can win a game this year. I can't wait to get my season tickets." Looks just as bad to me.

Look, if I am wrong then tell me. Is this a web site for the ST Louis Rams Fans or not?
    Again, if you can't distinguish between blind negativity and rational legitimate criticisms of a team, and don't think there's room for the latter in discussions about the team, there's not much for us to discuss. You're right, this is a web site for St. Louis Rams fans, not merely Rams cheerleaders.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-13-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

this is a web site for St. Louis Rams fans, not merely Rams cheerleaders.
    But if anybody has any pictures.......

I'm just sayin'.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Again, if you can't distinguish between blind negativity and rational legitimate criticisms of a team, and don't think there's room for the latter in discussions about the team, there's not much for us to discuss. You're right, this is a web site for St. Louis Rams fans, not merely Rams cheerleaders.
    How is it rational or legitimate to say we stink before we have played? There is room for hope there because the house was cleaned. They have new additions to the team and hopefully improving people on the squad already. So I'm not understanding how it is rational to think with a different team than 2009 that u will see the same outcome. And the fact is the rams do need cheerleaders obviously because it looks like a lot of the fan base has written this off as a losing year already

So call me what u will rams cheerleader, blind optimist whatever tickles your fancy. But at the end of the day I know I am the one making a actually assessment of the team not just saying o this year we aren't gonna have a winning record no way no how. I don't know how the fan base can still think that way when there was a obvious attempt at changing the team. I do consider this blind negativity because your basing your theroy off of past performances. I just would like to know how you are coming to this conclusion that the rams will do the samething with different people on the field....

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Drawing points from both sjacksonrules and Nick, i'd have to say that your both right.

However, what are legitimate criticism at this point in the year? At a lot of positions we truly don't know what we have. Saying before hand that we will be a bad team has its merits given the recent history of bad seasons, but why continue to enforce that line of thinking when the outcome is still truly undecided yet? What kind of fan does that?

A good discussion on our (perceived) strengths and weaknesses is always fun. It's when you throw with all but utter certainty, that the team you root for will stink is when I believe it truly verges on nihilistic fanhood. Teams prove every year that all it takes is a few fortunate ball bounces that make all the difference between a win and a loss, 1-15 and 8-8.

There are legitimate question marks and concerns one has to ask due to the youth and general lack of knowledge about the players that have joined our team. We fans haven't seen much of anything as far as what the players have done this offseason in OTAs or as far as conditioning. Training camp has yet to start, let alone actual football playing.

Seasonal predictions are not only incomplete but verge on blind speculation.

So really it depends on what you as the fan want to take as an approach. Since you only know what your rookies have done in college to go off of, why not say they might have a reasonably productive year, its not beyond possibility. Or maybe you can say they will all hit rookie learning curves hard and suck. I tend to be the former rather than the latter because if either one is possible, why believe the worst?

Why not believe that Bobby Carpenter's perceived "scheme fit", athleticism, and shoulder chip won't propel him to be a solid or better weakside linebacker?

New year, new opportunity and the first time this team will truly belong to Spags and Devaney since they arrived. Why not a little optimism for the season? At least give some until pads come on...

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

In 2008 we were a bad team. In 2009, we were a bad team. In 2010, I don't know what kind of team we will be. I don't expect a 12 win season, to do so is unrealistic. I also don't expect a 2 win season. I really don't think Feely will get us but maybe 1 or two wins, then he either goes out around week 7, or maybe he gets hurt and goes out sooner. Either way, considering the next several seasons likely rests on Bradford's shoulders, I don't think he'll be in before week 7. (BTW, when is our bye week?) If Feely goes down, I have a feeling that Null may go out on the field until Bradford's number is called. Fine with me. I'd rather have a 2-4 record over the first six weeks than expose Bradford before he's ready.
    When Bradford does get the chance to strut his stuff, I honestly think we will win at least 4 or 5 (maybe more) of the last ten. I know someone mentioned not wanting to hear about a six win season, but I know I'd be extremely happy with that, especially if Bradford is the QB for at least five of those. Why? Simple. That would mean that Bradford can do things with the current team that Feely couldn't. That would also mean (to me) that I could really look forward to 2011, because we wouldn't have to worry about a QB, we wouldn't have to concentrate on a superstar WR, or a lot of other issues.
    A really optimistic record to me is 8-8. That would show the world that we could go from the worst team in the NFL to an average team. It would also clearly show what areas the FO needs to worry about drafting and signing. You can't say I'm not a fan if I predict a realistic scenario for this season as being 6-10 or 8-8. Either one shows a huge improvement. If I could attend two games last season (one with the entire family), keep wearing the jerseys, hats, shoes, etc., all year long...well, I think I might qualify as a fan. A realistic fan.

But a 12-4 record....that would be great....

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Hay. I do have Ram cheerleader pictures with me someplace. They came to bogram(SP).

Nick, I am sorry if I offended you. I reread all the posts I made and it does look like I singled you out. I am sorry. You are by far the best moderator on the site. I look forward to reading your posts. You do a good job with pointing out facts some people miss. Can we be friends?

Yes, 8-8 is a marked improvement over last year.

GO RAMS beat cards

RockinRam is offline Registered User

C'mon people. Let's save the over-analyzing for February, where the 2011draft will be the major thing on everyone's minds.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    C'mon people. Let's save the over-analyzing for February, where the 2011draft will be the major thing on everyone's minds.
    We draft Jake Locker on the 1st round and plan on doing 2-QB schemes that will revolutionize the NFL playbook.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    How is it rational or legitimate to say we stink before we have played?
    Again, there's a difference between blind negativity ("we stink," which I'm actually not sure anyone specifically said in this thread, funny enough) and rational legitimate critical points ("Here are some of the weak areas on this team that I think will keep the Rams from having much success in 2010...").

I'd wager most people engage in the latter, which by no means indicates they're not hoping or cheering for the Rams to do well. I have no idea where this mindset came where you can't reconcile someone being a fan but recognizing weak spots on a team that will cause them to not do well in a given year.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I do consider this blind negativity because your basing your theroy off of past performances. I just would like to know how you are coming to this conclusion that the rams will do the samething with different people on the field....
    I'd be interested to see this post where I said, "The Rams were bad in 2009; thus, they will be bad in 2010." Because I feel like I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I didn't say that.

Rather, I base my opinion off of is what I see on the current team, which represent some improvements from the previous season but still some big question marks and holes that I think will ultimately make it difficult for this team to contend and achieve more than six wins.

If the Rams show me something that counters my opinion, I'll be happy to adjust it. Until then, I'll go by what I see and what I think is likely to happen. Which in some instances is good for the Rams, and in some instances is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    So really it depends on what you as the fan want to take as an approach. Since you only know what your rookies have done in college to go off of, why not say they might have a reasonably productive year, its not beyond possibility. Or maybe you can say they will all hit rookie learning curves hard and suck. I tend to be the former rather than the latter because if either one is possible, why believe the worst?
    Why not say we'll go 16-0 then? I mean, it's possible right? I guess you don't want the Rams to go undefeated? Well you can just go cheer for another team then!

There's a point where everyone tempers their blind optimism with some amount of realism. That point is probably unique to the individual, but obviously a group of people will view a question mark or an unknown differently.

For instance, I too believe Carpenter will be an effective player as a 4-3 WILL linebacker. However, I look at this group of receivers and I don't see someone who can step up and be a difference maker in the passing game. I hope they prove me wrong, but until they do, I'm going to call it like I see it, not how I'd prefer to see it just so things can be sunshine and rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    Nick, I am sorry if I offended you. I reread all the posts I made and it does look like I singled you out. I am sorry. You are by far the best moderator on the site. I look forward to reading your posts. You do a good job with pointing out facts some people miss. Can we be friends?
    I'm not offended. I just don't see a problem with a fan of a team recognizing problems that might hold that team back. I think it'd be pretty boring - and would turn out to be rather inaccurate - if we all just ignored any weaknesses our team might have, assumed they'd all work out for the best, and believe we'd be right in the hunt year after year. But from the sounds of it, that's how some people think a true fan should act.

When we have shown ourselves to have a strong enough team to warrant those expectations, I'll be happy to share them. But I don't see it now, and I very much disagree with anyone who would say that opinion makes me any less of a fan.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've been riding this LA/STL RAMS roller coaster since 1965. 16-0, 8-8, 0-16, 3-13, 2-14, 1-15. I'm still on the ride and will never ever get off!

Predictions are just that predictions..........

Anyone who claims to be a RAMS fan of course is "hoping" for a Superbowl winning season. However unless we have another shot of the "GSOT" hidden on this team, I don't like our chances of a big rebound for 2010. Just being realistic and everyone can take that anyway they want. I dare anyone to challenge my "DIE-HARD RAM FANDOM"!!!

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123