throwback week

sbramfan Guest

Not impressed with Jackson

Probably against popular opinion, but I am not a big Steven Jackson fan.

He barely could get into the end zone in that game from the 1 yard line, and this is not new. Did anyone see the highlight of Mike Alstott scoring from the 1 for Tampa. The guy ran full speed, grabbed the ball, and soared in the air, with almost no chance of someone stopping him, with his size, from crossing the plane. Our boy SJ tip-toes towards the line of scrimmage in his standard north-easterly direction, instead of north, and then tries to muscle his way in from there.

As a big back, it takes awhile to get going. There is no way he should be going east and west. The only advantage he has is his momentum, and the only way to capitalize on that is to get it going sooner, by going north and south.

I partly blame the team for trying to run plays designed for Marshall with this guy, but I'm seriously running out of patience with the fact that we can not count on this guy. Sure he will get his 100 yards every game, but are you confident he'll get the 1st down when it's needed? I'm not. With Marshall I was/am.

I think the team needs to start him 2 yards back further in the backfield and make sure that by the time he gets the hand off, he's going 3/4 of full speed. Otherwise, he tries to go left and right.

And if that worked, perhaps I'd be more satisfied, but at the same time I think that right now, at this very moment, Marshall Faulk is twice the running back Steven Jackson is, and if Curtis Martin is still out there doing it, I don't see why we don't run Marshall into the ground. What are we saving him for again? Oh yeah, the offseason, which will be coming a lot sooner this year than in years past.

I also just don't like the change in style from a multi-purpose back. I'd rather have a Sean Alexander, Ladanian Tomlinson, Tiki Barber type...or, oh yeah....Marshall Faulk.

I'd also trade him right now for Reggie Bush, but I guess that's a no brainer.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Not impressed with Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Marshall Faulk is twice the running back Steven Jackson is
    Marshall Faulk is twice the running back of almost every RB to play the game ever. Just wanted to throw that in there.

I understand where you are coming from. But I think it's to early to write Jackson off yet honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He barely could get into the end zone in that game from the 1 yard line, and this is not new. Did anyone see the highlight of Mike Alstott scoring from the 1 for Tampa. The guy ran full speed, grabbed the ball, and soared in the air, with almost no chance of someone stopping him, with his size, from crossing the plane. Our boy SJ tip-toes towards the line of scrimmage in his standard north-easterly direction, instead of north, and then tries to muscle his way in from there.
    It's simple blocking and play calling. Go back and watch the replays on NFL.com to see it, because it's pretty clear when you look at the two plays themselves.

The Tampa Bay offense is at the two yard line, in a two TE set with a lead blocking fullback in front of Alstott. When the ball is snapped, the right side of the line (RG, RT, TE) all engage straight ahead. The left guard pulls to move past the center but follows the right guard and tackle in on the interior, creating an inside push for Alstott to run behind. The fullback also advances straight ahead, while the Bears safety stays on the outside as if he's expecting Alstott to make a cut. But Alstott follows his blockers, who have done a good job gaining ground on the Bears' defense. And judging by the way the tackle and perhaps the center try to chip some of the defenders instead of straight on engage them, I'm tempted to believe the dive by Alstott was designed as well.

Now look at the Rams' play. The Rams have a tight end right, but have their second tight end, Manu, lined up in the backfield next to Hedgecock. Timmerman pulls left, but he doesn't do what the Bucs guard does. Instead of following Barron and Turner in from an interior position, Timmerman pulls all the way to the outside of the line past the tackle to contain the outside man, and rather than moving straight on to take on a blocker like the TB fullback does, Hedgecock takes on a defensive back even further outside. Manumaleuna then becomes the lead blocker but does a poor job in that role, because Houston's #51 gets right past him. Steven bounces outside, where Timmerman, Turner, and Hedgecock have their blocks maintained, and is able to get into the endzone there.

Again, it's a slightly different play and less effective blocking. If Timmerman doesn't pull as far as he did, maybe he takes on the linebacker and Jackson can push it up the middle. But the design apparently called for Timmerman to pull to the outside left since there was no TE there, and relied on Manu to step up and make the interior block from the backfield, which he failed to do. The hole was to the outside, and Jackson recognized this, and cut in that direction, allowing him to get into the endzone.

I actually think that is an example of a pretty good play on Jackson's part, to bounce outside to avoid the interior defender and get into the endzone. So how is it Steven Jackson's fault that (1) the play calling establishes better blockers on the outside rather than pounding up the middle and (2) Manu missed his block entirely, allowing the Texans to get penetration?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 Guest

If we had a line that blocked consistantly it would be a diffrent story. We ran all over the Jags and they have the best DT Duo in the NFL we came back and coldn't do squat against Seattle and Arizona. He was ate up in the back field. You can't just say you want to have Jackson get the ball every play and he is going to get 150yds a game. Its the basic that comes first which is the blocking.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

The play design is horrible. It is too slow in developing, plus it involves manu cutting behind the QB. manu just gets in Jackson's way, whiffs on the block and falls on his face. Any play involving manu to block is worthless. For that matter manu is worthless.

If the Rams are not going to design running plays that suit Jackson's style they might as well trade him for defensive help.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like Jackson. I think he's going to be a very good back for the Rams. I think he could be a guy who runs for 1,400-1,500 yards with a good line and a scheme that uses his talents.

That said, the 1998 (last year w/Colts) to 2001 version of Marshall Faulk is just about the best all-around back ever. Jackson won't be that good.

Virtually nobody has a shot of being that good.

RamJackson39 Guest

This is why the Rams need a big TE like Leonard Pope. We need a guy that can impose his will, not just in catching but in blocking as well. Pope would do this for us and the blocking would help tremendously.

I cant wait too see this running game next season. I'm still hoping that the Rams can become what we need to become, The Battering Rams

SFCRamFan Guest

I think that Jackson has great potential and at times has shown it. What I don't understand is if they are trying to make Jackson into a "psuedo" Faulk-type back or if Jackson is trying to emulate Faulk. A man that size needs to square his shoulders and plow forward, not dance around looking for an opening to slide through. Why they have not stressed this to him (and I have no proof that they have or have not done so) is beyond me. True, the blocking is suspect from game to game, but sometimes I see what looks like a hole that he could plow through and instead he tries to dance and move around the end. Someone give him a compass and show him which way North and South is as oppossed to East and West.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

SJ is a north and south runner. He needs the guards to open the holes in front of him. Anytime you get SJ running east west he dose not have the ability to make the cut back.

I agree that SJ is running plays designed for Faulk. Fairchild needs to design more plays that will allow SJ to hit the holes straight on.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sbramfan Guest

True, the blocking is suspect from game to game, but sometimes I see what looks like a hole that he could plow through and instead he tries to dance and move around the end. Someone give him a compass and show him which way North and South is as oppossed to East and West.
    Exactly. I would rather him plow into the line and get nothing, then to "hang a left" and get caught behind the line of scrimmage. Just go, buddy. Go.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

SJ is a north and south runner. He needs the guards to open the holes in front of him. Anytime you get SJ running east west he dose not have the ability to make the cut back.
    Look at the way Bettis has always ran (even with the RAMS). Some guys just do better running in a straight line.

Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk types only come along once in a while.

Jackson will be a good back. They just need to develop some plays for him. I don't know if the offensive guys have that switch. Turning off the schemes that they have had for so long to turn on new ones this late in the season.

:clanram:
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Rampage39 Guest

i also am a big fan of jackson and believe he will turn into a star but jackson should practice diving in the endzone from the 1 yard line just like priest or LT. it would be way more effective than waiting for your blocks to develop. the coaching staff really needs to design plays according to jackson's style.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would rather him plow into the line and get nothing, then to "hang a left" and get caught behind the line of scrimmage.
    Well, everyone would prefer no gain to a loss on the play. So when you phrase it like that, it's a no brainer. But look at the criticism you laid at Jackson. Would you have rather he ran straight into the defender Manu didn't block and get no gain, or cut toward the perimeter like he did and get the TD?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As Jackson gets more experienced and his vision gets better, you'll hopefully see better decisions, because I agree he's made some questionable ones. But when there are defenders in the backfield forcing him to break the design of the play, then that's on the blocking. I don't recall seeing many plays where Jackson had good blocking in front of him and ignored it to bounce outside where the blocking is worse, but then again I don't get many Ram games here on TV.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sbramfan Guest

But look at the criticism you laid at Jackson. Would you have rather he ran straight into the defender Manu didn't block and get no gain, or cut toward the perimeter like he did and get the TD?
    Well, under my philosophy, the guy doesn't have time to make a decision. Just go full speed ahead, and if there is not a hole when you get there, you jump for it. And if that doesn't work, you do it again on second down, etc...

The problem is not summed up by the goal line play, just an example of the overall problem that this guy should not be tip-toeing behind the line of scrimmage in any scenario, waiting for a hole to open up. He needs to use his strength to push his way forward and at least fall forward. If he's going to dance around looking for a hole, then lets get someone quicker and smaller to find a hole to squeeze through.