Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Not to kill the buzz from the awesome win but...

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Not to kill the buzz from the awesome win but...

Guys...we have Adrian Peterson coming up. This is our defenses chance to be seriously on the map. This man ran 296 yards in his rookie year and now he has a biotic leg after his surgery and he just simply looks unstoppable.

With that being said, if we stop Peterson, this will be a blow out and our defense is going to be put in center stage. I don't know about ya'll, but this is a serious test and I just can't wait to see our defense ace.

GREATEST D ON TURF

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Not to kill the buzz from the awesome win but...

AP is going to be tough. I think we're going to have to leave our CBs on an island and devote the other 8-9 defenders to stopping him. Of course, that was probably the Bears' plan too.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    AP is going to be tough. I think we're going to have to leave our CBs on an island and devote the other 8-9 defenders to stopping him. Of course, that was probably the Bears' plan too.
    what would the difference be if the safeties didn't just play the run?

it's not like they've done a whole lot playing the pass, they seem non existent that way lol
    live4ramin likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

A short piece on Peterson from Monday Morning QB

Before the weekend, Adrian Peterson needed 139 yards a game for the next four games to break 2,000 yards for the first time in his illustrious career. His best to date was in 2008, when he gained 1,760 (110.0 yards per game). What makes this task all the more difficult is that with Percy Harvin not playing since Week 9 and Christian Ponder averaging 131 yards passing for the last six games, Peterson's been the only offensive threat the Vikings have. So after watching the game this week, will he crack 2,000 or won't he?

The Pros: "The Bears have an excellent defense and, though they paid scant regard to Ponder, regularly playing with nine men up to stop the run, Peterson still gained 154 yards; 125 of his yards came after contact because he consistently managed to squeeze additional yardage out. This is something he's done throughout the year. His line will get him 2.3 yards per run and he'll average 3.9 after contact. The average number of yards after contact throughout the league is 2.5, so essentially his ability in this area has netted him just shy of an additional 400 yards. In short, the Bears tackled well and he still got the required figure without a huge amount of help from his normally good run-blocking line."

The Cons: "After gaining 104 yards in the first quarter on 11 carries Sunday, Peterson's next 20 runs only produced 50 yards. He became the Bears' sole focus as Ponder was trusted less and less to throw the ball. The quarterback passed for only 91 yards, and unless he can improve dramatically, Peterson will be the only target of every defense he faces over the next three weeks. No matter how good he is personally, that may not be enough. For him to rush for 2,106 yards and break Eric Dickerson's all-time record, the way he said after the game he hopes to? Very, very difficult."

In Summary: "To hit 2,000, Peterson would need 133 yards per game against the No. 12 (Rams), No. 2 (Texans) and No. 14 (Packers) defenses against the run by yardage. With Ponder looking less and less like a viable NFL quarterback every week, it seems unlikely that Peterson will get the support he needs to succeed. To put it another way, even if he picks up 200 yards against one of those teams, he still needs 100 against both the others. This looks like a bridge too far even for the best running back of his generation."
    Looks like if the Rams go all out to stop him, we could certainly limit his damage. We want to force Ponder to beat us and try and keep AP bottled up. We also need to take the time off the clock with some long scoring drives led by S Jax

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    what would the difference be if the safeties didn't just play the run?

it's not like they've done a whole lot playing the pass, they seem non existent that way lol
    While I'm not a huge fan of our current safeties, Mickell has done a decent job against the run.

Its a good thing that Percy Harvin is out, as he would make it much more difficult to focus entirely on AP.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Isn't AP second in the league in per carry average to CJ Spiller?
    jmk321 and gap like this.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

This is probably a good week to draw the Vikings. There is tape from last week of what the Vikings will do IF they are successful. It shouldn't be any surprise. The other thing the Rams have going for the is that they essentially had to game plan to stop Buffalo's running attack, and they did. Rather than starting from scratch this week, they can build on last week's game.

With that said, I watched the highlights of AP this week against the Bears and it's just going to be so hard to defend a guy who can make cuts like that. Rams will have to really play their lanes and not over pursue or it could be an ugly game.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You mean the Bears that were missing Tim Jennings (potential pro-bowler), Brian Urlacher (potential pro-bowler), and Stephen Paea?

I'm obviously worried because All Day is a BEAST, but their QB and WR's are a complete joke. We MUST absolutely stack the box with 8 or 9 guys ALL DAY. Michael Jenkins and Jerome Simpson aren't scaring anyone. Hit em hard in the mouth, force a few turnovers, and play tough Ram ball.

GO GET EM!
    live4ramin likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

So basically, we are gonna play them like every team has played us since 2005?
    live4ramin, RockinRam and jmk321 like this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Ap rushed for 200 something yards and they still lost its not all about him.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I mean I think personally I have already conceded the fact that AP will get his 100 yards he's just that good. But as mentioned above by sjackson, the key to this game isn't as much stopping AP as it is taking advantage of Ponders mistakes. Im fine with AP rushing for his typical 100, and will hold nothing against our defense...we just better take advantage of Ponder.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Not only do the Rams D-Line need to maintain their gap assignments but the team needs, especially if AP gets beyond the D-Line to tackle correctly.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I don't care how many yards he runs. As long as he doesn't score any points I'm fine.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

I don't care how many yards he gets. Keep him from getting them all in one shot and keep him from getting in the end zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast