Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By berg8309

Thread: Not that it matters but it feels good to hear it anyways

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not that it matters but it feels good to hear it anyways

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

A run through Kiper Jr.'s 2013 draft grades

Good morning, NFC West (it's still morning here). I've had a chance to run through Mel Kiper Jr.'s 2013 NFL draft grades Insider for the NFC West.

As Mel notes, "Everybody knows you can't grade an NFL draft on performance the day it ends. You can't do it for years, which is part of the reason why I audit old drafts. What I do here is assess three main things: How much overall talent did a team add based on board position? How effectively did they address key personnel needs? How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?"

With those things in mind, let's take a peek at Kiper Jr.'s grades and offer some initial thoughts. The comments I've included from Mel represent a small sampling of his overall thoughts for each team.

St. Louis Rams

Kiper Jr.'s overall grade: A-minus

Kiper Jr.'s give: "I really liked this draft, and found myself in agreement with my colleagues. Oh, and they still have an extra first-rounder next year. The NFC West arms race is not just a two-team affair."

Sando's take: The Rams set up themselves to succeed in this draft when they traded the 2012 second overall choice to the Washington Redskins. I loved the way they emerged from the first round Thursday night with the most highly rated skill-position player (Tavon Austin) and the same number of total picks they brought into the process. The Rams also addressed immediate needs with most of their picks, which always looks good on paper when a draft concludes. However, St. Louis emerged from this draft with only seven players overall. Eighteen teams drafted between eight and 11 players. The Rams had the two early picks, so they got quality. But a home run for me would have included getting quality and quantity. The Rams had only 52 players on their roster coming into the draft. All those open roster spots made it easier for St. Louis to land more attractive rookie free agents, at least.
    berg8309 and ZiaRam like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Not that it matters but it feels good to hear it anyways

I agree, it doesn't matter, but it's nice to hear it anyway. After years of receiving C or lower grades from pundits, and then watching them be proven right as draft pick after draft pick failed, it is nice to be receiving some high marks at least.
    Aussie Dave likes this.