throwback week

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Not to be pessimistic...

However, if Haslett was such a great and gritty head coach with NO, how come he couldn't have given Linehan a few pointers awhile back before everyone hated him? I don't know, I just am not fond of Haslett running the show now mind you it's a lot better than Linehan considering the players lost all respect for the guy. Hopefully Haslett will be able to motivate these guys but as far as defense goes it's not like he was doing much with it and I am just surprised that they couldn't get in Vermeil or something to just coach the rest of this season only.

Again it just seems odd that a "great" ex-head coach couldn't have steered Linehan in a better direction. I guess he had it coming all along and I know it's just speculation on my part BUT all I'm saying is that if you think this guy is going to be the long term answer or even just an answer for this season, he's not unfortunately...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Not to be pessimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    However, if Haslett was such a great and gritty head coach with NO, how come he couldn't have given Linehan a few pointers awhile back before everyone hated him? I don't know, I just am not fond of Haslett running the show now mind you it's a lot better than Linehan considering the players lost all respect for the guy. Hopefully Haslett will be able to motivate these guys but as far as defense goes it's not like he was doing much with it and I am just surprised that they couldn't get in Vermeil or something to just coach the rest of this season only.

Again it just seems odd that a "great" ex-head coach couldn't have steered Linehan in a better direction. I guess he had it coming all along and I know it's just speculation on my part BUT all I'm saying is that if you think this guy is going to be the long term answer or even just an answer for this season, he's not unfortunately...
    How do you know that Haslett didn't try, and Linehan wouldn't listen?

As for Vermeil, why would he want any part of this mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Only a FOOL would think this guy is ANYTHING more than the stand-in for the next REAL hire at HC. This is a train wreck for the duration...regardless of who stands on the sidelines. Changes need to occur at the very top...on down...before this franchise makes a turn for the better.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    How do you know that Haslett didn't try, and Linehan wouldn't listen?

As for Vermeil, why would he want any part of this mess.
    I don't know that, that's why I said speculation and what I meant with Vermeil was because one would think he'd be passionate about steering his ex-team in the right direction. I know he's retired and he'd continue to be retired after this season regardless if he got us to the damn superbowl...well, maybe.

I don't know that, that's why I said speculation and what I meant with Vermeil was because one would think he'd be passionate about steering his ex-team in the right direction. I know he's retired and he'd continue to be retired after this season regardless if he got us to the damn superbowl...well, maybe.
    I haven't seen much that suggests Linehan listened to anyone, so I wouldn't think there would be much of a chance of Linehan listening to Haslett, it seems more likely that Linehan felt threatened by Haslett's head coaching experience.

Vermeil can't fix this mess. It starts at the top and it will take a while to right the ship. Vermeil wasn't exactly successful as the Rams head coach in his first two years here, and it took many pieces and a change of philosophy by Vermeil to build and guide the GSOT. I would be surprised if he's up for it again. He won his Superbowl and I would think he sees how big of a job it is here to fix this mess, and he is satisfied with his ring.
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I haven't seen much that suggests Linehan listened to anyone, so I wouldn't think there would be much of a chance of Linehan listening to Haslett, it seems more likely that Linehan felt threatened by Haslett's head coaching experience.

Vermeil can't fix this mess. It starts at the top and it will take a while to right the ship. Vermeil wasn't exactly successful as the Rams head coach in his first two years here, and it took many pieces and a change of philosophy by Vermeil to build and guide the GSOT. I would be surprised if he's up for it again. He won his Superbowl and I would think he sees how big of a job it is here to fix this mess, and he is satisfied with his ring.
    Good point.

What I mean with Vermeil is this: Let him take over (his crudentials are obviously better than Haslett's and he has a good history with this organization which is something players would look up to) JUST THIS YEAR and get things settled in for the next head coach for the 2009 season.

Good point.

What I mean with Vermeil is this: Let him take over (his crudentials are obviously better than Haslett's and he has a good history with this organization which is something players would look up to) JUST THIS YEAR and get things settled in for the next head coach for the 2009 season.
    I get what you are saying but what's in it for Vermeil? He comes to this mess, tinkers around with it and tries some things and then leaves next year. I don't see why Vermeil would even entertain that idea.

Haslett is fine for now as the interim coach, let's see what he can do, if anything. I doubt he will be around next year unless there is some miracle. So for now we are headed in the right direction.

The next step is getting rid of Zygmunt and hopefully Shaw retires. Then hopefully we start fresh and go from there.

SFCRamFan Guest

Forget about Vermeil. Give it up. It won't happen. Period. He said so a couple of weeks back during an induction ceremony for the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. He was asked about the rumors of returning, and he said that he is retired and happy and would not entertain any offers (summarizing). I appreciate him for what he did and for your passion in wanting him, but it isn't going to happen. Like it or not, we all support Haslett for the duration of this season. He is only the interim, but I hope that he can fire them up, give us some pride and wins and move on next year to the job of his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    Forget about Vermeil. Give it up. It won't happen. Period. He said so a couple of weeks back during an induction ceremony for the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. He was asked about the rumors of returning, and he said that he is retired and happy and would not entertain any offers (summarizing). I appreciate him for what he did and for your passion in wanting him, but it isn't going to happen. Like it or not, we all support Haslett for the duration of this season. He is only the interim, but I hope that he can fire them up, give us some pride and wins and move on next year to the job of his choice.
    Agreed SFC, there is nothing in it for Vermeil to come back here.

Let's just see how it goes and hopefully there are plenty of changes (starting at the top) at the end of the year.