throwback week

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A Note to the Coach - Scott Linehan

I posted a thread yesterday, A note to the players. I thought about what I wanted to say to the coach, so here it is. I hope he reads this.

Coach -

We know you are new to the position of Head Coach. To be quite honest with you, a large majority of the fans are behind you. That S.L.O.P thread? It's not an attempt to run you out of town, rather, it's a way to tell you that we think you need to change your coaching style.

Take a look at those guys on your team. All fifty-three of them. You've been around football for a long time. Do you notice anything different about them?

We do.

We look upon those guys as the ones who are responsible for carrying on the Rams name. To us, the Rams are everything. When the fans say we bleed blue and gold, believe it.

When I look at those guys, I notice they are not as big as a lot of the other NFL players. They weren't signed because they were big. They were signed because they are smart. Think about it. How many teams in the NFL have TWO Ivy Leaguers? How many teams could memorize Martz's playbook? I'd be willing to say that the average I.Q. of the Rams is higher than it is for any other team in the NFL.

Why aren't you using that intelligence these guys have? Some of these guys were there during the GSOT. They remember what it took to get them to the top. I seriously doubt if anyone will lose respect for you if you called together a group of the smartest guys on the squad to ask them for help. Rather, I know I would look upon that as you trying to find out what works best for the players.

Go ahead. Call Bulger, Bruce, Holt, Pace, the Donut Brothers, Little, and Faulk. It's not that those guys are necessarily the smartest....instead, they are the CORE of the team. They know what worked in the past. They've got the experience. Don't be afraid of them. They won't laugh at you if you were to walk into the room, look at them, and say something like this:

"OK, guys, here it is. I've tried to do things this year to turn this team into a playoff team, but apparently, I've made some mistakes. That's why I called you here. You are the ones I have decided would be able to help me out. You not only know what works for you individually, but also what works for you together. You are the best on this team, and you see what everyone else on the team does. You know the weaknesses and strengths of all 53 of you better than I do. So, tell me...what should I do to make the team better?"

Scott, if you were to do that, you would not believe how much support and respect you would get. Not only from the team....but also, from us...the fans.
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -12-04-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: dyslexic fingers

blood85 Guest

Re: A Note to the Coach - Scott Linehan

very well said, the defense rests,no pun intended.

Shadesofgrey Guest

Do you honestly see your post as some legitimate solution to what's currently going on with the Rams as a team? Do you think it's possible that what your proposing is a massive over simplification of an issue that as an outsider you could never hope to understand. I've been involved with football as a player or coach for the past 17 years and I won't even pretend to act like I have some sort of solution or real comprehension to problems at the pro level. :x It's bad enough to here the stuffed suits in the media slathering on about various teams, but to have to hear it here sucks

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey View Post
    Do you honestly see your post as some legitimate solution to what's currently going on with the Rams as a team? Do you think it's possible that what your proposing is a massive over simplification of an issue that as an outsider you could never hope to understand. I've been involved with football as a player or coach for the past 17 years and I won't even pretend to act like I have some sort of solution or real comprehension to problems at the pro level. :x It's bad enough to here the stuffed suits in the media slathering on about various teams, but to have to hear it here sucks
    Well what other things can they do? You can't trade, the deadline is over...The best thing to do is be a coach and speak up. As a coach, he needs to know what players need a kick in the a** and a pat on the back. No one knows what the core of the team thinks of Linehan, but if any of it is negative, I bet you most of that negativity would change because he shows he CARES. Just like the core of those Rams players (Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Little, Faulk...he's not even on the team and cares more than some guys here! :x ).

So if he were to read this and actually do that...who knows, maybe it'll do nothing, but what do we have to lose at this point?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan Guest

your right,at this point it cant hurt to try it,but its a lot bigger problem than just getting a few guys together and talking about what to do.i dont think linehan has the respect of most of the team and if something like this can help,then go ahead.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It is not a bad idea, as long as only the core group was involved in such a discussion. The players would have to be willing to talk about what has been working, and what has not been working. I have no idea if they would be ready to discuss things with Coach Linehan at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey View Post
    I have to disagree with your reaction to this idea. Coach Linehan reminds me of Marc Bulger. Very reserved and low key. Well it took 5 to 6 weeks of frustration for Marc to finally step up to the plate. Linehan needs to do the same. He has to be questioning his coaching abilities if not his style of coaching. This idea of asking the coach to approach the players is a great idea IMO. Linehan needs a push, he's a quiet and reserved individual that needs to grow up and realize that this is his platform. Yeah he likes what Bulger did because Linehan doesn't seem to have the nerve to do it himself.
    Is Linehan really qualified to be a HC in the NFL??? Hey, all the experience in the world doesn't help if your not sharing it with your players. Time for Linehan to stand up and address the situation. Don't forget NFL stands for "Not For Long" this applies to coaches too.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=laram0;148866] Yeah he likes what Bulger did because Linehan doesn't seem to have the nerve to do it himself./QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly: Guys I'm starting to really wonder if Linehan is in over his head. I don't like what I'm NOT seeing!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Shadesofgrey Guest

How would you know whether Linehan has or hasn't done this yet? That's my point. Not a single person on this message board is close enough to the team to know. I just find it really pretty amazing that you guys really think you've got it nailed. If there was a huge meeting of all the NFL coaches and a coach suggested that all NFL coaches should think about reading fan message boards for more ideas..they'd laugh his ass out of the building:l

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I have to disagree with your reaction to this idea. Coach Linehan reminds me of Marc Bulger. Very reserved and low key. Well it took 5 to 6 weeks of frustration for Marc to finally step up to the plate. Linehan needs to do the same. He has to be questioning his coaching abilities if not his style of coaching. This idea of asking the coach to approach the players is a great idea IMO. Linehan needs a push, he's a quiet and reserved individual that needs to grow up and realize that this is his platform. Yeah he likes what Bulger did because Linehan doesn't seem to have the nerve to do it himself.
    Is Linehan really qualified to be a HC in the NFL??? Hey, all the experience in the world doesn't help if your not sharing it with your players. Time for Linehan to stand up and address the situation. Don't forget NFL stands for "Not For Long" this applies to coaches too.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

No one has really claimed they know how to solve the problems plaguing the Rams this season, nor have we suggested that we have the 'coach's ear'.

We DO know what we are seeing on the field, and for the most part, it isn't working. Thinking that our Rams are playing to the best of their ability is like thinking that Brittney Spears is a great mother...neither is believable.

Obviously, Linehan hasn't found the answer for curing the problems our team has. It's all speculation on our part, just as it has been on his. However, one thing I DO know is that our 'core' players have seen what does work, and what doesn't. They know each other, how they play together, and they might just have an answer.

Consider it like this: Microsoft makes software. Do you think they take their software and just sell it without finding out if it works? No. They have an extensive program involving the public, and it is called "Beta Testing". These Beta testers use the program, find possible issues that may prevent the product from performing as intended, and provide feedback to the company so the product can be improved.

All we are doing is providing the feedback. The "Beta Testers" are important to Microsoft, and their suggestions are taken seriously. I'm sure the programmers in Redmond know more about the Microsoft products than the general public, yet they do take feedback seriously, and try to improve the product. I'm sure the coaching staff in St. Louis knows more about the Rams than most of us do. Yet, if they want to solve the problems with the team....they should consider listening to the 'general public' for suggestions on how to improve the 'product'. One of us 'Beta testers' might just find a major flaw that can be 'fixed' before the product is 'on the shelf'.

I hope that made sense.